Just installed Win8, no WiFi connection

Page: 1, 2
Online now: DEyncourt, Google [Bot]
Bren Everything went to hell after Empire.
Please help. I'm trying to get this Dell Inspiron 15 ready for somebody I'm donating it to. I just erased Linux and installed my licensed copy of Windows 8 on the thing, because this is for a computer novice who would be lost in Linux.

Anyway, now the computer is acting as if it doesn't have a WiFi card. When I mouse over the thingy on the bottom right that would normally enable one to access WiFi, I get a message that says, "Not connected. No connections are available."

If I click "View connection settings," all I get is the option to add a VPN network.

Why can't anything be simple? Why can't a fresh install of Windows 8 just recognize the fact that the damned computer has WiFi?

I know the hardware works because I had no problem connecting to the Internet when Linux was on this thing.

Please help. Thank you.
I'm also getting a message saying "Windows did not detect any networking hardware."

And if there's a physical switch that manually turns off the WiFi card, I sure can't find it.
When I click "troubleshoot" and then ask for more info, the God damned thing identifies Bluetooth as the networking hardware.

Why the fudge does is this computer suddenly acting like it has no WiFi hardware, and how the fudge do I fix it?

On my Dell, there's a physical switch that turns off WiFi, but I'm not finding that on this thing. What in tarnation is happening?

I'M VERY ANGRY.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I'm not nearly as tech savvy as most of the people here, but my first thought was; connect to the internet with a wire and download WIN 10?
user Stupid cockwomble
"On most Dell computers, they have a function to turn the wireless card on and off. Press the Blue Fn and the F2 button and this usually turns the wireless card on/off."

It's the kind of crap I ran into all the time working as tech support. But if you did a fresh install that sort of control should already be enabled. I ran into another thread that suggested installing chip sets - ain't windows wonderful? I couldn't restore Vista on my Vaio laptop because it required me to pick out drivers from a DOS filename list. Installed a pirate copy of 7 on it instead.

Here's a thread wtih links.
obvs precoupado
Bren posted:
When I click "troubleshoot" and then ask for more info, the God damned thing identifies Bluetooth as the networking hardware.

Why the fudge does is this computer suddenly acting like it has no WiFi hardware, and how the fudge do I fix it?

On my Dell, there's a physical switch that turns off WiFi, but I'm not finding that on this thing. What in tarnation is happening?

I'M VERY ANGRY.
There's a good chance the bluetooth hardware *is* the networking hardware. It's very common for a single card to handle both bluetooth and wifi.

Dell systems have a unique number called a service tag, and if you go to support.dell.com and enter the service tag it will tell you the drivers needed for your system.
dv
Yeah, it probably just needs drivers.
My first guess is drivers. If the computer is newer th en the OS disk then it may simply not have the right driver. Normally the computer would just download the driver from the internet, but that's a problem if it can't connect to the internet. Either dig out an ethernrt cable or use a different one to download the right wifi card for that computer.

Plus there's still a loophole to get a valid Windows 10 install for free. https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 0-upgrade/
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
... what I said ...
DukeofNuke posted:
... what I said ...

Your advice was pretty unhelpful. GWX is discontinued so if you don't download windows 10 properly you don't get a valid license. And if they computer is old enough that graphics drivers are an issue then win10 may not be possible so you'll have to just install the he drivers.

Though at this point this might be needed https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
So, I said,
Quote:
connect to the internet with a wire and download WIN 10

And you said,
Quote:
... dig out an ethernrt cable ... Plus there's still a loophole to get a valid Windows 10 install for free.

... but that's different ...
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I am honestly curious why you think that Win8 will be easier for a novice than a good desktop Linux like Mint or Ubuntu.
N00bs and non-technical users do great with Linux, the only people Linux is troublesome for are Windows power users.
I have had my wife and both my daughters using linux for years now and they never have problems they need me to sort out.
obvs precoupado
Bren's thoughts about what the recipient should be using aren't really relevant. Most recipients are going to want Windows.
DukeofNuke posted:
So, I said,
Quote:
connect to the internet with a wire and download WIN 10

And you said,
Quote:
... dig out an ethernrt cable ... Plus there's still a loophole to get a valid Windows 10 install for free.

... but that's different ...

Look at what follows. I'll give you a hint: it's underlined and a slightly different color. And based on the vibe I'm getting over here providing a teensy bit more detail such as where to look may be important.
obvs precoupado
How about not being a dick?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:
Bren's thoughts about what the recipient should be using aren't really relevant. Most recipients are going to want Windows.

Bren said: ...Windows 8 on the thing, because this is for a computer novice who would be lost in Linux.

If he had mentioned the need for Windows specific software I would not have asked my question, but he did not. If the PC in question is for a typical user who only needs a browser and possibly a basic word processor Linux would be a simpler and more reliable solution than Windows.
Ironically, if said user has had exposure to WinXP/7, Linux Mint/Cinnamon can offer a much more familiar desktop that win8 does.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Success! Thank you for your help, people! The Dell express service code made finding the right drivers a snap.

Now then, I see Classic Shell ceased development in 2017. Is there a more modern alternative y'all would recommend?

To answer Pariah's question, when I had this thing booted up in Linux Mint, I tried downloading Geekbench from Geekbench's Web site, and I got a message saying Firefox was out of date, so I clicked the link in the browser to download the latest version of Firefox.

In both cases, an "archive manager" downloaded the files, and was willing to uncompress them for me, but clicking on those tar.gz files did not result in the programs being installed, and I got zero help from the GUI or the OS on that front.

Yes, yes, I am well aware there's something akin to an app store for Linux where you're "supposed" to search for and download programs. And yes, I'm sure with a bit of Googling, I could have figured out how to turn those tar.gz files into programs that had been installed on the computer.

But you know who could never do that? The lady I'm giving this laptop to.

In Windows, no such head-scratching is necessary: Firefox says it needs updating? Click the link or the button, and it's updated. You see a piece of software on a Web site that you'd like to install? Click the link or the button, and boom, the downloader window is asking you if you'd like to launch the installer.

Simple.
Next question:

The only reason this worked is that I downloaded the drivers on my Mac and used a USB drive to transfer them to the PC.

When I attempt to visit Dell's driver download pages on the PC, I get a runtime error message, regardless of which browser I'm using. Yet I have no problem visiting those pages on the Mac.

What would cause that?
dv
You're not using Internet Explorer, are you?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
dv posted:
You're not using Internet Explorer, are you?

Just to clarify,:

a, IE will cause the problems.

b, IE will solve the problems.

I think I know the answer, but I'm not a Dell tech, so ... questions.
dv
Never mind, my eyes skipped the "regardless of which browser" part.

Default version of IE from Win8 is old enough to make things not work.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 0-upgrade/

This link for instructions to upgrade to Windows 10 *without* it breaking in a month

https://www.iobit.com/en/iobitstartmenu8.php

This link for a start menu clone fore windows 8, there's a paid version and I'm not sure what the difference is.
dv
Betonhaus posted:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 0-upgrade/

This link for instructions to upgrade to Windows 10 *without* it breaking in a month

This link for a start menu clone fore windows 8, there's a paid version and I'm not sure what the difference is.

Dude, he downloaded the driver and got it working. Leave it.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Bren posted:
Success! Thank you for your help, people! The Dell express service code made finding the right drivers a snap.

Now then, I see Classic Shell ceased development in 2017. Is there a more modern alternative y'all would recommend?

To answer Pariah's question, when I had this thing booted up in Linux Mint, I tried downloading Geekbench from Geekbench's Web site, and I got a message saying Firefox was out of date, so I clicked the link in the browser to download the latest version of Firefox.

In both cases, an "archive manager" downloaded the files, and was willing to uncompress them for me, but clicking on those tar.gz files did not result in the programs being installed, and I got zero help from the GUI or the OS on that front.

Yes, yes, I am well aware there's something akin to an app store for Linux where you're "supposed" to search for and download programs. And yes, I'm sure with a bit of Googling, I could have figured out how to turn those tar.gz files into programs that had been installed on the computer.

In Windows, no such head-scratching is necessary: Firefox says it needs updating? Click the link or the button, and it's updated. You see a piece of software on a Web site that you'd like to install? Click the link or the button, and boom, the downloader window is asking you if you'd like to launch the installer.

Simple.

Dude.....
All you needed to do was run the update manager, that shield icon on the right side of the panel with the blue dot and exclamation point to update Firefox. Downloading from a website is the very last resort with Linux.
That is the beauty of Linux, you don't ever have to update applications manually, everything is handled by the Update Manager. That is the "killer feature" that makes a distro like Mint ideal for n00bs. no searching the web for updates, ever.

Last edited by Pariah on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:48 pm.

maurvir Meat popsicle
Also, there are a lot of machines out there that will run Windows 7 just fine, but will NOT run Windows 10. I have a Dell Inspiron that I attempted to upgrade to Win 10 on that never would boot into the second stage installer. It would hang, forcing me to reimage the hard disk. The Dell laptop in question did have a fully valid copy of Windows 7 on it, so it wasn't an activation/license issue - the machine just wouldn't boot Windows 10.

I don't recall the specific model, but it was a Core 2 era machine.
dv
Pariah posted:
Dude.....
All you needed to do was run the update manager, that shield icon on the right side of the panel with the blue dot and exclamation point to update Firefox. Downloading from a website is the very last resort with Linux.
That is the beauty of Linux, you don't ever have to update applications manually, everything is handled by the Update Manager. That is the "killer feature" that makes a distro like Mint ideal for n00bs. no searching the web for updates, ever.

But it is very, very important that some people be able to install random crapware from suspicious websites.
Pariah posted:
Bren posted:

Simple.

Dude.....

I knew you would say something like this, and it proves you are not getting it. If the update manager did not readily present itself to me, it's certainly not going to readily present itself to that novice user who will be using the computer.

It is stick fiddling ridiculous, and profoundly counterintuitive, that Firefox displays a message saying, "Firefox needs to be updated," the user clicks the appropriate button or link, and this results in the download of a tar.gz file which the user has no way of running as an installer program right from the resulting download window.

The lady I'm giving this computer to would be LOST at that point. Yet in Windows, she would at that point be enjoying the latest version of Firefox.
Betonhaus posted:

Thanks. It looks like the paid version removes ads, which apparently appear in your start menu if you haven't paid. Maybe.

Do you know of anybody who's actually used this product? It seems like sketchware from a sketchy company. I wonder if Classic Shell might be safer, despite the lack of active development?
maurvir Meat popsicle
They probably figured no one would notice, since Microsoft has started putting ads in the start menu too. :goth:
Bren posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Thanks. It looks like the paid version removes ads, which apparently appear in your start menu if you haven't paid. Maybe.

Do you know of anybody who's actually used this product? It seems like sketchware from a sketchy company. I wonder if Classic Shell might be safer, despite the lack of active development?

Classic Shell is fine and since it's for Windows 8 the state of its development would be adequate.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Bren posted:

I'm still using Classic Shell, so far M$ has not broken it.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Bren posted:
Pariah posted:
Bren posted:

Simple.

Dude.....

I knew you would say something like this, and it proves you are not getting it. If the update manager did not readily present itself to me, it's certainly not going to readily present itself to that novice user who will be using the computer.

It is stick fiddling ridiculous, and profoundly counterintuitive, that Firefox displays a message saying, "Firefox needs to be updated," the user clicks the appropriate button or link, and this results in the download of a tar.gz file which the user has no way of running as an installer program right from the resulting download window.

The lady I'm giving this computer to would be LOST at that point. Yet in Windows, she would at that point be enjoying the latest version of Firefox.

You can configure the Update manager for automatic now.
OK, but you're ignoring the fact that the laptop is running much slower now that I've replaced Linux with Windows.

You think a novice can handle all that frightening speed, with Web sites just loading and rendering instantly?
Better to have the safe, predictable, glacial pace of tried-and-true Microsoft Windows™.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Bren posted:
Better to have the safe, predictable, glacial pace of tried-and-true Microsoft Windows™.

:p

I wouldn't suggest Linux if I did not honestly believe it was a good choice. That I find it easy is not all that telling, I am a geek so I can figure out how to use anything, but that my very non-technical wife and daughters find it easy is.
No restarts, no waiting 30 minutes for updates to load and install, nothing to update manually and a familiar and comfortable desktop (if you want that). No worrying about shady pop-ups telling you to download a flash or browser update but give you a virus instead.
Give a novice Cinnamon, set updates to security only, which includes browsers, set the update manager to automatic and you are set for years of trouble free, hassle free, use.
Yeah, that update manager set to automatic sounds like an option I should have tried. This thing was much nicer, and more elegant, with Mint on it.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Bren posted:
Yeah, that update manager set to automatic sounds like an option I should have tried. This thing was much nicer, and more elegant, with Mint on it.

The auto-update thing is brand new with Mint 19 so its only been around about 7 months. But even before, just telling someone to click on that shield thing once in a while is pretty easy for anyone.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
lol

windows sucks
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
sorry

didn't read the thread

just trolling

please ignore

i'm not a very good troll
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Just installed Win8, no WiFi connection

Page: 1, 2