Burned out on smart phones

Online now: Bing (sucks), DEyncourt, Google [Bot]
maurvir Meat popsicle
You know, there was a time when I was excited about smart phones. The portable computers that fit in your pocket. Over time, though, it seems like they have become less computers and more managed appliances. Unfortunately, not managed by us.

So, I find myself not really enthusiastic about anything right now. My Galaxy S7 Edge is still working fine, so I'll probably just hold onto it until the battery dies - though I've been tempted to get a new battery for my old HTC One M8. That was a great phone whose battery failed it.

I've also considered switching to the dark side and tempting fate with the Devil's fruit. I'm not 100% convinced I could get along with an iPhone, but I have to admit, the years of support and cheap battery make it tempting. If only Apple was less banal about the walled garden aspect, it would be a no-brainer. Let me side load apps and run a system-wide VPN and I'd be sold right now. Shoot, I might even be willing to skip the system-wide VPN, as I've reached the age where I'd rather just pay for apps than attempt to block ads.

Fortunately, my S7 Edge is holding up reasonably well so I have some time yet.
obvs precoupado
I can't even tell you how much I love the HTC One M9 you recommended for me.

Best phone I've ever had.

Using LineageOS with Magisk and DroidWall and YouTube Vance just gets everything out of the way.
gd Ya boi, Guzma
maurvir posted:
You know, there was a time when I was excited about smart phones. The portable computers that fit in your pocket. Over time, though, it seems like they have become less computers and more managed appliances. Unfortunately, not managed by us.

So, I find myself not really enthusiastic about anything right now. My Galaxy S7 Edge is still working fine, so I'll probably just hold onto it until the battery dies - though I've been tempted to get a new battery for my old HTC One M8. That was a great phone whose battery failed it.

I've also considered switching to the dark side and tempting fate with the Devil's fruit. I'm not 100% convinced I could get along with an iPhone, but I have to admit, the years of support and cheap battery make it tempting. If only Apple was less banal about the walled garden aspect, it would be a no-brainer. Let me side load apps and run a system-wide VPN and I'd be sold right now. Shoot, I might even be willing to skip the system-wide VPN, as I've reached the age where I'd rather just pay for apps than attempt to block ads.

The fruitphones do have a VPN, however I do not know if it is a system wide VPN or not. I haven't used it in quite a while. To be honest, I don't recall the last time I saw an app on my iPhone. Not on Safari ever since I installed Adguard, and not on apps since... iOS 11?

I know that Apple wants to cut off google's income from advertises on iOS. I wonder if they already did it without us noticing?
obvs posted:
I can't even tell you how much I love the HTC One M9 you recommended for me.

Best phone I've ever had.

Using LineageOS with Magisk and DroidWall and YouTube Vance just gets everything out of the way.

How do you find it using a custom ROM with your phone? I'm thinking of rooting my P20 pro and installing something stock but I haven't investigated it further.

That being said, I think I'm along the same line. I did like BB10 and Windows Mobile but they are dead OSs. I only have my P20 pro because I wanted a flagship that didn't keep crapping out after a few months, and I think I want to hold onto it until something novel comes out. I like the folding phones, but I'm still holding out hope for Andromeda if it ever happens.
maurvir posted:

Cherish the time remaining.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I cannot relate. I've always hated smart phones. I hate the one I own and resent the $20 a month I feel I am forced to flush down the toilet for it in order to be a fully fledged participant in society.
gd Ya boi, Guzma
Metacell posted:
I cannot relate. I've always hated smart phones. I hate the one I own and resent the $20 a month I feel I am forced to flush down the toilet for it in order to be a fully fledged participant in society.

Being a fully fledged participant in society is overrated.
user Stupid cockwomble
just ask the unibomber
I'd love a phone that did calls and texting; and not much else.
user Stupid cockwomble
web interfaces on phones are difficult to use and I only use it for emergencies (in a store and checking price or info)

I'm getting a used 4 gen iPad but I plan on mostly using it as a video camera and Kindle reader - maybe use it in front of the TV for quick surfing or game info but I actually have my iMac next to my easy chair for that purpose now.
maurvir Meat popsicle
avkills posted:

They still make these, and they are usually pretty cheap.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I love my smart phone. I think smart phones are fantastically handy little technological multi-tools and I keep mine on me constantly.
That being said I have not added an app to mine in years and am mostly disinterested in practically all of the new features that have been rolled out since my old 5c came out. The only things I might want is a bigger screen and a better camera and those desires are not enough for me to dig into my pocket for a newer phone, yet.
If someone were to give me a brand new iPhone I doubt my usage habits would change at all, my 5c still does everything I want it to.
maurvir posted:
avkills posted:

yeah but I want one that still has a touch interface....I'll keep dreaming.
macnuke Afar
at one time Verizon had plans for no inter webs on the phone.... you could bring an iPhone or any "approved' smart phone and have it limited to text and phone only.
obvs precoupado
Pariah posted:
I love my smart phone. I think smart phones are fantastically handy little technological multi-tools and I keep mine on me constantly.
That being said I have not added an app to mine in years and am mostly disinterested in practically all of the new features that have been rolled out since my old 5c came out. The only things I might want is a bigger screen and a better camera and those desires are not enough for me to dig into my pocket for a newer phone, yet.
If someone were to give me a brand new iPhone I doubt my usage habits would change at all, my 5c still does everything I want it to.
Tiktok and Whisper are very fun.
Old Yoda agitator
avkills posted:
maurvir posted:
avkills posted:

I use an LG 306G. Got a deal on eBay for five for about $25 three years ago. It is NOT a smartphone.
Quote:
TracFone LG 306G Prepaid Cell Phone with Triple Minutes:
TracFone cell phone has a 3.2" touchscreen
3G/WiFi connectivity
2.0 megapixel camera and video recorder
Mobile Web Access
Text and Picture Messaging
4GB microSD Card (Included in phone)
Bluetooth 2.1 wireless technology
MP3 player (cable not included)
GPS capabilities
5 Customizable Home Screens
Gravity and Proximity Sensors
Supports microSD card up to 32GB (not included)
Battery talk time up to 3 hours
Standby time up to 17 days
Includes battery, charger, activation card & services guide.

You get triple minutes when you buy refill cards, costs me less than $10/mo
user Stupid cockwomble
That's why I stick with Tracphone can't beat the price. I don't gab on it anyway. Did end up getting a used iPhone 5s for it. Just put a new battery in it so I'm good to go. Makes great portable Kindle reader.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
avkills posted:
maurvir posted:
avkills posted:

https://www.thelightphone.com/#home-1

Not cheap for what it is. Version 1 is sold out, version 2 is still on indiegogo.
In this information age where administration is an industry unto itself instead of merely a support structure, perhaps people feel left behind and even a bit guilty if they aren't "administrating" their own lives through info-tech. Admin is a cost that's embraced as an opportunity by people who don't even need to do it. We are doomed.
Old Yoda agitator
user posted:
That's why I stick with Tracphone . . .

If you have an basic LG, here is a cool trick:
Dial 3845#*306# (replace the 306 with the number of your model) as if it was a number; you should a hidden Factory menu.
jkahless Custom Title
avkills posted:
maurvir posted:
avkills posted:

I believe you can swap the sim from a dumbphone into a smartphone and you can call and text no problem. Worth looking into if you already haven't.
dv
Well damn, apparently Andy Rubin is a sex offender.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Burned out on smart phones