Apple is pushing devs hard to go subscription only

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Apple is pushing devs hard to go subscription only

Post by maurvir »

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/02 ... -pay-once/

For a while now, Apple has been encouraging app developers to consider subscriptions as a key revenue source, and the company is introducing some new options for developers that it hopes will make the option more attractive. In the past few days, Apple has informed developers that they will now be able to target current and recent subscribers with promotional rates on subscriptions. That means subscribers will be able to offer discounts to try to get you back if you lapse, or they might try to entice you to stay if you're considering leaving.

Developers could previously offer limited-time subscription discounts but only to new users. The new model is available in recent beta releases known as iOS 12.2, macOS Mojave 10.14.4, and tvOS 12.2, and it is likely to emerge as the final public release for each. Apple will facilitate three different types of offer for developers who want to retain or regain subscribers.

I know I'm a bit of a curmudgeon because I hate ads with a passion and refuse to do "subscriptions" to software. However, this subscription model is getting out of hand. I know devs need money for updates, but for certain classes of software, it just doesn't make sense. Unfortunately, with iOS, there is no way to switch to FOSS, so this probably means I'll be stuck on Android unless Google closes the local install loophole.

The real problem is that most people don't grasp that they are often paying over $100 a year for some app or utility they would never pay that much for up front. Hiding behind subscriptions hides the true costs, and if it takes off, it will hurt everyone - not just the financially ill-advised.
dv

Post by dv »

It works great on Android and is a business model they should definitely follow - my housemate's already gotten stuck for a couple hundred bucks in auto-renewing subscriptions. Gotta dig around the phone settings to unsubscribe from things, and sometimes it apparently doesn't "take" right away. Apple understands this and wants to encourage their developers to make as much money as humanly possible.
Betonhaus

Post by Betonhaus »

The only subscription I have is for Hub+ and that's software I use daily and would like to be supported indefinitely. I wouldn't justify it for a piece of software that I only use occasionally or is so basic that it doesn't get updates or. there's bound to be a free alternative