Home security recommendations

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Home security recommendations

Post by DukeofNuke »

A couple of years ago, the fam bought me an iris home system from Lowes. The basic security package. The system was designed to do the whole smart home thing with add-on lightbulbs and outlets and thermostats 'n stuff, but the damn thing never really worked so I never bought anything else for it.
Anyway, Lowes has decided to brick the whole system. So they sent me a prepaid card to thank me for my trouble and help me get a replacement.
I don't really want the smart home thing, I'm more interested in a security system. I also don't want a monthly service.
I'm leaning toward Ring, but I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with these things and what they might recommend.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

I don't have a Ring, but my son does and likes it. A lot of people in my area on Next Door also have Ring and seem to like it.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

And btw, thieves really don't seem to care about cameras. They're only good at identifying, hopefully, but not stopping them. The pit bull is better at stopping! LOL
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
macnuke
Title: Afar

Post by macnuke »

120 lbs boxer/bull cross.....
with 2 territorial labs at 70lbs each
with another 90lbs of husky

housedogs

I lock my guns in a large very secure safe because I feel safer with what's sleeping at the foot of the bed.

There are no illegitimate children...only illegitimate parents.

Kirk

Post by Kirk »

If you go with security cameras, hard wire them. The WiFi cameras suck.
DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

Pariah wrote: Image

I've got the dogs. A husky and a mutt that live on the porch (easily bought-off with a treat, BTW), a big black lab and a pit mix that live in fenced off areas, and a toy poodle that lives in the house to raise the alarm.
There is also somebody home most of the time, and of course we are lightly armed.
I'd just like another layer of observational capability when i'm out of town.
A friend at work has a Ring that she seems to use mostly to check on package deliveries and to check up on the boy she hires to mow the lawn. She's very pleased with it.
I don't think I want to go through the trouble of hard-wiring a security system. I'm sure it would b more reliable, but I'm just not quite that paranoid ... yet ...
:paranoid:
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan