So, about those "free" fitbit devices...

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

So, about those "free" fitbit devices...

Post by maurvir »

https://pilotonline.com/business/articl ... 4970e.html

On his 21st day back at work after a heart attack and triple bypass surgery, Chris Zubko received a call from the main office. Through an app on his phone, his boss was literally monitoring every step of Zubko's recovery.

"Man! I noticed your steps have picked up,'' gushed Wayne Gono, 65, whose family operates Regal Plastics, a small fabrication business with satellite shops around Texas. "You used to be under 2,000, now you're over 6,000. Two times you worked out this week. Good!''

Welcome to a rapidly growing phenomenon in the workplace: constant health surveillance.
juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

big brother will be corporate.
user
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

the revolution will not be televised
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

fiddlesticks this human waste.
I very breifly installed a fitness tracker on my phone but then thought further about the implications and deleted it. I guess I am not narcissistic enough to need to have my every step counted and graphed for examination.
Omphaloskepsis+++
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
macnuke
Title: PureBleed

Post by macnuke »

if you don't use it when they give it to you... your insurance will change in the next years cycle.

People that do not succeed in politics usually tell the truth too often.

arkayn
Title: Aaarrrggghhhh

Post by arkayn »

macnuke wrote: if you don't use it when they give it to you... your insurance will change in the next years cycle.

If you do use it, your insurance will change in the next years cycle.

You will be screwed either way.
user
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

just like those things they want you to put in your car to record "your excellent driving habits"
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

I expect those things to be built-in to cars in the next ten years.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

In cars is arguably about mitigating harm done to others as well as the bottom line.

Private insurance is basically evil when it can deny the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for the sake of the bottom line.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

macnuke wrote: if you don't use it when they give it to you... your insurance will change in the next years cycle.

This is exactly it. More and more employers' insurance companies are requiring physicals etc, and your premiums are based on how healthy you are.

On a side note, the 10,000 steps is a completely arbitrary number the Japanese made up in the 60's.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
dv

Post by dv »

justine wrote:

This is exactly it. More and more employers' insurance companies are requiring physicals etc, and your premiums are based on how healthy you are.

On a side note, the 10,000 steps is a completely arbitrary number the Japanese made up in the 60's.

10,000 might be a conveniently round number, but I think they have a point.

In other new, I found Tokyo's fat guy and he'd really be just about middling here.
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

dv wrote:
justine wrote:

10,000 might be a conveniently round number, but I think they have a point.

In other new, I found Tokyo's fat guy and he'd really be just about middling here.

The 10000 came from the name of the first pedometer built.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
Vulture
Title: 420

Post by Vulture »

I exercise and eat healthy.