Help me switch HHDs and SSDs around.

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Help me switch HHDs and SSDs around.

Post by Pariah »

Here is what I want to do:
I want to clone my 64GB SSD boot drive onto a 256GB SSD.
Then I want to clone my wifes 250GB HDD with only about 15GB used to the 64GB SSD.
The goal being to preserve both currently installed OS and application configurations.
Discuss!

Side question: The Samsung 850 pro is a pretty top of the line SSD, right?
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
dv

Post by dv »

Clonezilla.

850 Pro was high end when it was released. Nothing to sneeze at by today's standards but there are better choices for a new purchase.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

dv wrote: Clonezilla.

850 Pro was high end when it was released. Nothing to sneeze at by today's standards but there are better choices for a new purchase.

I will look at Clonezilla.
I finally got around to taking the SSD from my wifes PC out of the sled and saw it was an 256GB 850 pro. Those things are still $200 on Amazon. A crazy upgrade to find inside a PC I only paid $155 for.

Ugh, what the fiddlesticks? I installed Clonzilla from my software center and it's not in my menus or anywhere that I can find. :(

Edit: Never mind. I was being an idiot and downloaded the server version when I need the live version. I installed it to a USB stick and am off to watch Youtube tutorials on how to use it.
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

I remember doing this ages ago with a Linux sysrescue CD, but I don't recall the exact procedure. However, I believe the first step was shrinking the partition on the source disk to match the size of the target disk.
dv

Post by dv »

maurvir wrote: I remember doing this ages ago with a Linux sysrescue CD, but I don't recall the exact procedure. However, I believe the first step was shrinking the partition on the source disk to match the size of the target disk.

For boot drives you have to clone boot sectors and whatnot, as well as changing partition and drive info when switching to a device with a different size. You can do it with dd and a hex editor, but it's best if you can find a tool that handles that for you.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

dv wrote:
maurvir wrote: I remember doing this ages ago with a Linux sysrescue CD, but I don't recall the exact procedure. However, I believe the first step was shrinking the partition on the source disk to match the size of the target disk.

For boot drives you have to clone boot sectors and whatnot, as well as changing partition and drive info when switching to a device with a different size. You can do it with dd and a hex editor, but it's best if you can find a tool that handles that for you.

Looks like Clonezilla will handle the boot sectors.