Flatpak

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
Post Reply
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22665
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Flatpak

Post by Pariah »

Mint added Flatpak support awhile ago but I hadn't had a reason to use it until I decided I wanted the latest build of GIMP which is not in the regular Mint repo. I went out looking for the PPA and saw that it was available in a Flatpak container so I fired up my software manager and opened the Flatpak tab and sure enough, there it was waiting for me.
Clicked install and in about a minute I was looking at the latest GIMP. Easy.
Then I looked around online for other recently released applications and found most of them are being made available as a Flatpak container.
I am excited to see containers taking off in earnest. They solve a lot of problems and eliminate one of the last reasons a regular desktop user might have to use the terminal.
But the most exciting thing about containers is that developers won't have to deal with supporting various distros. All a distro has to do is support containers. Maybe a step closer to getting some much desired commercial software on Linux, like Adobe's stuff.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
Betonhaus
Posts: 2911
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Post by Betonhaus »

Pariah wrote: Mint added Flatpak support awhile ago but I hadn't had a reason to use it until I decided I wanted the latest build of GIMP which is not in the regular Mint repo. I went out looking for the PPA and saw that it was available in a Flatpak container so I fired up my software manager and opened the Flatpak tab and sure enough, there it was waiting for me.
Clicked install and in about a minute I was looking at the latest GIMP. Easy.
Then I looked around online for other recently released applications and found most of them are being made available as a Flatpak container.
I am excited to see containers taking off in earnest. They solve a lot of problems and eliminate one of the last reasons a regular desktop user might have to use the terminal.
But the most exciting thing about containers is that developers won't have to deal with supporting various distros. All a distro has to do is support containers. Maybe a step closer to getting some much desired commercial software on Linux, like Adobe's stuff.

That's actually pretty cool. The more Linux can get people away from needing to deal with the commandline the better it's going to be for the general public.
User avatar
avkills
Posts: 3110
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:46 am
Location: Everywhere

Post by avkills »

Adobe releasing on Linux would make me take a serious look at it.
"Killing them dead till they believe"
† The Church of Mark †
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22665
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

avkills wrote: Adobe releasing on Linux would make me take a serious look at it.

It's kind of a pipe dream but containers remove a significant obstacle to commercial developers. Compile once, deploy everywhere.
Also containers run in their own little sandbox so they are more secure, isolated from the rest of the system. I'd like to see containers become the predominant way software is distributed on Linux.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25210
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

These sound a lot like Android APKs, which themselves look a lot like Debian .debs.

I'm glad this sort of thing is taking off, because installing software has generally been a pain point for Linux.
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22665
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

maurvir wrote: These sound a lot like Android APKs, which themselves look a lot like Debian .debs.

I'm glad this sort of thing is taking off, because installing software has generally been a pain point for Linux.

I don't know anything about APKs but debs are nothing like a containerized application. Debs still pull external dependencies and are not sandboxed at all.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25210
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Pariah wrote:
maurvir wrote: These sound a lot like Android APKs, which themselves look a lot like Debian .debs.

I'm glad this sort of thing is taking off, because installing software has generally been a pain point for Linux.

I don't know anything about APKs but debs are nothing like a containerized application. Debs still pull external dependencies and are not sandboxed at all.


Ah, I forgot about that. APKs are self-contained, though. Everything you need is right there in the ZIP archive (APK files are really just ZIP files renamed).
Post Reply