Use a "smart" light bulb? Another IOT problem

Online now: Yori
"Pwn the LIFX Mini white".

Recoverable from this bulb which had been "thrown away":
Quote:
Conclusion

In a very short limited amount of time, three vulnerabilities have been discovered:

• Wifi credentials of the user have been recovered (stored in plaintext into the flash memory).

• No security settings. The device is completely open (no secure boot, no debug interface disabled, no flash encryption).

• Root certificate and RSA private key have been extracted.

Personally this is the first I had ever heard about LIFX bulbs, but it does make you wonder about the others....
obvs precoupado
Interesting. I was considering buying some.
maurvir Meat popsicle
As long as you know it's hackable, the hardware still looks kind of interesting. If anything, this makes them MORE interesting in a way.

Also, keep in mind you would have to saw the things open to get to that debug port.
I was thinking of using wifi light switches instead. I imagine they've got a similar problem. I guess I'll wait a while for the bugs to get fixed.
maurvir posted:
As long as you know it's hackable, the hardware still looks kind of interesting. If anything, this makes them MORE interesting in a way.

Also, keep in mind you would have to saw the things open to get to that debug port.

Sure, but this is a common "justification" for lack of security among IOT devices: "C'mon! Who is going to go through so much effort for this info?"

Some hacker WILL.
I think the self lacing shoes (I assume via bluetooth) are more idiotic than WiFi lightbulbs.
user Stupid cockwomble
You are thinking as a healthy person.

There are plenty of people who have physical issues with shoelaces. Not so idiotic.
dv
user posted:

There are plenty of people who have physical issues with shoelaces. Not so idiotic.

Self lacing shoes are great. The dumb part is the internet connection.
dv posted:
user posted:

Well they're great if you're out of the house and realized you forgot to... Oh, wait.
dv posted:
user posted:

Yes, sorry I wasn't more clear. Yeah I don't have a problem with the self lacing part.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Use a "smart" light bulb? Another IOT problem