High Sierra Clover problem

Online now: Majestic-12 [Bot], Séamas
maurvir Meat popsicle
Ok, I finally got High Sierra installed on my Hackintosh. It seems that the installer didn't like hard disks, but installed fine to an SSD (which it then converted to APFS...)

Anyway, I managed to get it through all the boot cycles and up to the desktop. So far, so good - other than the installer didn't have my SMBIOS details, so it thought it was a "new mac". Minor issue, and everything worked fine. Except for one little detail.

I can't get the system to boot from the SSD. At first, it was because I was trying to install the boot config from the USB installer. That did not go well - I had to have the thumbdrive in to boot period. I nuked all the entries and tried again.Someone helpfully suggesting relaunching clover from the correct drive by switching using FS2: (which is correct for this system). All I got were the same wrong entries.

Next, I manually created the UEFI boot config using "bcfg boot add 2 BOOTX64.EFI "High Sierra". This got me closer, as the system would now start from the SSD with the thumbdrive unplugged. However, it failed to see any of the partitions. I did some research, realized APFS.EFI was missing, and installed it in the drivers64 folder. Next boot allowed me to see the partitions, including my new System folder.

Which is where I am now. Every time I try to boot from the SSD's EFI folder, it just hangs. The screen goes black indefinitely and never gets any further. Not sure what could be going on at this point, as it seems to be ignoring the bit where I asked for log output. As soon as I attempt the boot, it seems to hang the machine.

I can boot from the original install thumbdrive just fine, and I could even set the BIOS to start from the thumbdrive, but it would be nice to get this working. My old Sierra drive boots by itself just fine.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what to suggest other than to make sure that Clover's installed properly on the macOS install on the SSD.

However I do have two questions:

1) Why go to High Sierra now? Why not just go to Mojave?

2) Why not update your working Sierra installation? That's what I did and it was smooth as silk (as long as you update your Clover and kexts first).
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
I had a similar problem, and I had to go in and enable the system to try to boot using classic booting before EFI.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Get a hackintosh they said. It'll be just like a Mac, but better and cheaper!

:p
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Why even update them? I have two actual (recent) macs and they're still running Sierra.
user Stupid cockwomble
Yeah, I'm still on ElCap and I'm not likely to change until my browsers break.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Metacell posted:
Why even update them? I have two actual (recent) macs and they're still running Sierra.

Doesn't Apple stop supporting OS versions more than a couple behind?

At any rate, for now I'm back on Sierra. I wasn't dumb enough to blow away my working install - I used a new SSD to play with High Sierra.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
What thread title led me to expect:

What I got:
The way she's holding it its going to be Crimson and Clover.
user Stupid cockwomble
think that was the point
Not a whole lot we can do without knowing the systems specs; what version of Clover, etc etc. I will assume you have searched the usual sites for guides for the hardware you have.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Okie doke, I'm not sure what did it, but it's working. Still need to get HDMI audio up, but otherwise it's looking good.

UPDATE: Which is where I'm going to leave it for now and go back to Sierra. Apparently it's going to be involved getting audio up and running in High Sierra compared to Sierra.

On the upside, I might get to use my newer Radeon card. ON the downside, it looks like it's now time to start hex editing crap.
Audio should not be that big of a deal, providing you bought a "known easy" motherboard to deal with. I generally use the Toleda method for audio; but I've never enabled HDMI audio, so that might be harder.

Out of curiosity, why go to all this trouble and not go with Mojave?

(From looking at your first post, it looks like you may be using a older version of Clover? Clover now has a APFS driver that automatically loads the latest APFS stuff.)

I may be trying a x299 (gigabyte designare)/skylake-x (i9 7900x) build; but I am still on the fence. I'd probably be more inclined one way or the other if Apple had any roadmap/info pertaining to the vaporware modular MacPro.

All I know is my i7 4700k system is getting a bit long in the tooth for AfterEffects work. What is weird, is that Adobe removed the "render multiple frames", so lots of CPU cores do not help as much as in the past, and my research has concluded that the i9 9700k is basically the best CPU for AfterEffects, but that is a LGA1151 chip, which has some drawbacks if you want to use M.2 drives and multiple GPUs. I also do some Lightwave stuff; which lots of cores would help with.

Anyone have any experience with the Radeon Pro cards (WX 9100)? It's basically a 16GB Polaris card; and it ain't cheap; but looks to a lot easier to get working than the nVidia stuff on hackintosh systems, as in working out of the box.

I think a card that works out of the box is going to be a necessity if I decide to go X299, as those CPUs do not have integrated GPUs.
maurvir Meat popsicle
The reason for not going to Mojave is that I thought support had been pulled from these older systems. This is an i3-2100 with 16GB of RAM. I don't use the IGP, though - I use a separate AMD 5770. I have an R7-250X, but any sort of video causes framebuffer corruption on the latter card. The only saving grace is that it doesn't have to do a lot of intense processing - it's mostly used for streaming video and batch processing where "overnight" is fine.

Otherwise, it's an Asrock Z75 Pro3 motherboard with all the usual goodies. I even got the built-in audio working in Sierra, in addition to HDMI audio.
Got it. My only current Hack (since I sold my gaming rig for an eGPU setup) is an NUC box that's only about a year old.

If you get a chance, I recommend looking into it. The pricing is spectacular for the performance, though you are stuck on integrated graphics (or getting an eGPU setup).
maurvir posted:
The reason for not going to Mojave is that I thought support had been pulled from these older systems. This is an i3-2100 with 16GB of RAM. I don't use the IGP, though - I use a separate AMD 5770. I have an R7-250X, but any sort of video causes framebuffer corruption on the latter card. The only saving grace is that it doesn't have to do a lot of intense processing - it's mostly used for streaming video and batch processing where "overnight" is fine.

Otherwise, it's an Asrock Z75 Pro3 motherboard with all the usual goodies. I even got the built-in audio working in Sierra, in addition to HDMI audio.

Got it. Yeah I am kind of wasted right now about the rooster measuring between Apple and nVidia.
I thought Apple completely stopped supporting Invidia cards.
user Stupid cockwomble
Apple has never supported those....
user posted:
Apple has never supported those....

Considering "Invidia" is latin for "envious eye" I think they did.
maurvir Meat popsicle
The difference is that Apple gave Nvidia the ability to write their own drivers until Mojave. Now they can't, which is a shift from indifference to active blocking.
Aww...jeez, my apologies for making such a stupid error.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Metacell posted:
Aww...jeez, my apologies for making such a stupid error.

If you haven't been upgrading anemic AMD video cards, you wouldn't know. The real stupid error is at Apple. Nvidia had been doing their work for them - all Apple had to do was sign the drivers.

A lot of people are wasted off about Mojave actively blocking Nvidia drivers because the AMD boards aren't as good.
More specifically, the AMD boards aren't as good on the high end. If we are in 1050/1060 territory, the comparable AMD cards are basically the same. Once you head up from there, AMD falls behind. However power usage is higher in the low-to-mid range AMD cards than in the same range of Nvidia cards.
For the record, you can still get Windows 10 for free, under the condition that you purchase a valid Windows 7 or 8 license (which can be got for ~$40 or less on Amazon, usually emailed to you within 24 hours). Technically the free upgrade offer never ended, just that they discontinued the GWX upgrade app.

https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/pos ... s-8-1.aspx

I just figured I'd put that out there. I imagine that there's some piece of software that you can't give up which prevents you from going through the effort to learn a different OS.
No pretty much all the software I use will run on Windows, but the urge to stab myself increases exponetially the more I use Windows. Already did the experiment. Lasted a week. Besides it is so much more fun to snub your nose at Apple by running OS X on unsupported hardware. :D
avkills posted:
No pretty much all the software I use will run on Windows, but the urge to stab myself increases exponetially the more I use Windows. Already did the experiment. Lasted a week. Besides it is so much more fun to snub your nose at Apple by running OS X on unsupported hardware. :D

Well different strokes I guess. I don't know which edition of Windows you used however - and even Windows 10 has dramatic improvements every year.

But the mechanism for upgrading for free from Windows 7 works. I just did it on a $100 Thinkpad R61 I didn't want to pay $200 for a license for. I just installed a Windows 7 system builder license I got fro Amazon for $35, manually activated it over the phone (system builder requires you to input a long ass generated code into the phone which returns a different code), then ran the Windows 10 installer from within Windows 7, and after installing and thinking it's fully activated.

Does have a few steps, but it's reliable no matter the hardware and only requires you to $40.
maurvir Meat popsicle
If I could get the CAD packages I use to work within MacOS, I would drop Windows in a heartbeat. I have gotten tired of being an unpaid beta tester for software I paid a license for. I'm looking into using Parallels or VMware to do just that. Altium looks like it might just work, but Quartus is a different story (since it requires a USB JTAG dongle)

Right now, my Windows machine occasionally locks up for no apparent reason. It isn't a hardware fault, because I can boot 7 or MacOS on it and it will run fine. It's a known issue in 10 that never gets fixed. (Lots of people have complained of the exact same symptoms)

So, to say I'm not enthusiastic about Windows 10 would be putting it mildly.
They should bring back XP Classic just like they did with Coca-Cola. If they had smart marketing.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
i got a machine at work that runs ME
Wow. No wonder you guys are prejudiced against 10.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I consider myself very lucky that I don't need any specialized proprietary software. I could use any OS to do what I want. Given that freedom I can use Linux and enjoy the peace and stability while watching Apple and MS screw around with nonsense.
It is nice using an OS that does not have ulterior motives.
Wait. You had to get a Windows machine working for a scanning and Photoshop job! Hah!
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Ribtor posted:
Wait. You had to get a Windows machine working for a scanning and Photoshop job! Hah!

I have an install of Win10 on an SSD sitting on my desk for when I start that project but I certainly wouldn't use that for regular use.
Betonhaus posted:

I have the latest version of Windows 10 Home on my hackintosh; and I use Windows10 regularly on shows for powerpoint; so I think I am entitled to my bias. I just do not like the way Windows 10 "feels."

If I make another hackintosh with more modern kit, then I'll be putting Win10 Pro on it, since Home is limited on memory allocation. In fact I will be getting Windows 10 Pro working on it before even attempting the hackintosh part.

But alas, I am still on the fence. I have done some of my own benchmarking and have concluded that there is really no performance difference between Adobe software running on Windows vs. MacOS on the exact same hardware (at least my hardware).
maurvir Meat popsicle
avkills posted:
Betonhaus posted:

I have the latest version of Windows 10 Home on my hackintosh; and I use Windows10 regularly on shows for powerpoint; so I think I am entitled to my bias. I just do not like the way Windows 10 "feels."

If I make another hackintosh with more modern kit, then I'll be putting Win10 Pro on it, since Home is limited on memory allocation. In fact I will be getting Windows 10 Pro working on it before even attempting the hackintosh part.

But alas, I am still on the fence. I have done some of my own benchmarking and have concluded that there is really no performance difference between Adobe software running on Windows vs. MacOS on the exact same hardware (at least my hardware).

There really isn't much of a difference between the two in general as performance (for native apps) go for a couple of reasons. Chiefly that both OS' are running on the same hardware. There maybe subtle differences here and there, but Windows actually manages to get out of the way of apps almost as well as MacOS.

The biggest reason I prefer my Hackintosh is that it is a more pleasant environment to work in. Windows 10 seems insistent on constantly reminding me of why I don't like it - starting with that asinine "notification bar".
Pariah Know Your Enemy
If you regularly use special chars a Mac is vastly superior to Windows.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

High Sierra Clover problem