So your shiny new MacBook Pro is a ticking time bomb

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], iDaemon, juice
https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/22/appl ... ght-cable/

Tl;dr: MacBook pros from 2016-2018 have a display cable that frays and breaks, but is integrated with the lcd so is a $600 repair that will happen to all MacBook pros with the issue
dv
Anybody want a Dell coupon?
I really want a Lenovo X1 Carbon. They're pretty.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Dell and Lenovo have both seen their quality tank lately. Dell, in particular, seems to be riding their reputation hard.
juice Inadvertently correct
maurvir posted:
Dell and Lenovo have both seen their quality tank lately. Dell, in particular, seems to be riding their reputation hard.

Is it time to fold the company and give the money to the stockholders yet?
gd Hero of Twilight
Betonhaus posted:
https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/22/appl ... ght-cable/

Tl;dr: MacBook pros from 2016-2018 have a display cable that frays and breaks, but is integrated with the lcd so is a $600 repair that will happen to all MacBook pros with the issue

This happened to me within the warranty period. They replaced my LCD for free.
:D

Did I get lucky?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I would point out that Apple is in no way unique - most display panels have an integrated flat flex cable, and have for years. The issue has always in how well the hinge assembly works and protects the cable from damage. When hinge assemblies were made from some ridiculously tough rolled steel, those flat flex cables were the last thing in the machine to die. These days? I'm amazed they get through the warranty period.

The good news is that these cables are still not the most likely part to fail and tank your machine. Excepting physical abuse, a drive failure is far more likely to brick you.
dv
maurvir posted:
I would point out that Apple is in no way unique - most display panels have an integrated flat flex cable, and have for years. The issue has always in how well the hinge assembly works and protects the cable from damage. When hinge assemblies were made from some ridiculously tough rolled steel, those flat flex cables were the last thing in the machine to die. These days? I'm amazed they get through the warranty period.

The good news is that these cables are still not the most likely part to fail and tank your machine. Excepting physical abuse, a drive failure is far more likely to brick you.

Well, yeah, but the thing about drive failures is that you can always replace the... dammit. :brow:
I gotta be honest, this is pretty bad. From what I've seen it may have been possible to avoid if Apple made the ribbon cable a few millimetres longer to account for flex allowing the display to temporarily open further than intended, or maybe the cable could've been made a little different to make it more durable.

I don't know how widespread this is, but I think the main fear is that this is something that will eventually fail on all models.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Betonhaus posted:

I don't know how widespread this is, but I think the main fear is that this is something that will eventually fail on all models.

that's not fear, that's paranoia
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Quote:
it’s not clear how widespread the new hardware issue is.

Quote:
it’s hard to tell whether this is currently a rampant problem or just a few vocal but relatively isolated users.

Quote:
According to iFixit, the issue is only affecting the 2016 era and onward MacBook Pro models, so older models should be fine. It’s still too early to tell whether Apple’s new MacBook Air will have the same issues, as it has a different but similarly arranged display setup, which could put it at risk for similar problems down the line.

So, your macbook may or may not have this problem. There's no way to know until it happens, if it happens.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... n-flexgate
Y'all are using it wrong, the laptop is just suppose to sit on the desk with the lid closed hooked to an external monitors via USB-C (Thunderbolt3). :p
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

So your shiny new MacBook Pro is a ticking time bomb