Smart home ecosystem?

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot], Warin
What ecosystem would you use for smart homes?
30% 30% [ 3 ]
10% 10% [ 1 ]
10% 10% [ 1 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
10% 10% [ 1 ]
40% 40% [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10
If you were to set up your home to be a smart home, which ecosystem would you use? I have no Apple products so no point for HomeKit, and I have no contact with the Amazon system though its supposed to have the most skills. I do use Google on my phone and watch and they have a wide selection of hardware to chose from - first party and third party. I think i would've loved to stick with Microsoft but it's clear that their focus is more of a promise than a reality.

Last edited by Betonhaus on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:06 pm.

maurvir Meat popsicle
I barely trust any of those companies beyond the two years it would take to pay off my cell phone. The idea of putting them in charge of a home automation system is unimaginable.

You want home automation? There are companies that have specialized in it for years. Get a system from a company that depends on them for their continued survival.
dv
I don't.

I have a few Kasa power strips that I program individually for timers/lighting, and the traffic out is blocked by the router. I have keyless entry on a couple doors that are simple "dumb" units. A person teleported here from 1990 would understand my thermostat.

I have no desire to cloudify my house.
juice Inadvertently correct
dv posted:
I have no desire to cloudify my house.

This. I don’t see the point.
Donkey Butter jerk face
I have a HomePod and AppleTV and my receiver has AirPlay. And that's as far as my home automation goes.

I do have a nest thermostat and I stick fiddling hate that thing, and refuse to hook it up to my network. (it was free and I thought it would be good. It's not. And if the technician had left my old one I would have ripped that google piece of human waste off my wall and reinstalled my 60 year old unit.)
maurvir Meat popsicle
Donkey Butter posted:
I have a HomePod and AppleTV and my receiver has AirPlay. And that's as far as my home automation goes.

I do have a nest thermostat and I stick fiddling hate that thing, and refuse to hook it up to my network. (it was free and I thought it would be good. It's not. And if the technician had left my old one I would have ripped that google piece of human waste off my wall and reinstalled my 60 year old unit.)

Depending on which version you have, it may not have been a Google POS. Google bought them well after they had started selling the original Nest thermostat. Now, if you got the second gen, then yeah...
maurvir posted:
I barely trust any of those companies beyond the two years it would take to pay off my cell phone. The idea of putting them in charge of a home automation system is unimaginable.

You want home automation? There are companies that have specialized in it for years. Get a system from a company that depends on them for their continued survival.

Like Nest? How did that work out for them? Oh yeah they got bought out and their products remotely disabled.
dv
Betonhaus posted:
maurvir posted:

Like Nest? How did that work out for them? Oh yeah they got bought out and their products remotely disabled.

Nest was another startup. Startups exist to get bought out.

Industrial automation is expensive.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Betonhaus posted:
maurvir posted:

https://www.crestron.com/

It is absurdly expensive, but they have been in business for a couple of decades now.
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
I have an Amazon Echo Dot and a Google Home Mini.

Amazon's is better for controlling the devices reliably, but Google Home is better for getting information from the internet(searches, pulling information from sites for weather, movie times, internet searches, and looking things up).

And Alexa appends the "AM" or "PM" when asked the time, which is useful for an insomniac. Google(annoyingly) will only say the hour and minutes. If I fall asleep and wake up and ask Google what time it is and the response is "7:30" it's pretty annoying.
This is the extent of my home automation; a clock that will turn on a radio at a pre set time.

And a Honeywell thermostat.

But I know two people who have ditched Amazon in favour of Google. I don't know the details but they were pretty adamant about how much better Google was. Of what little I've seen of their systems in action I was pretty impressed.
Having both, if I need to ask something about weather or directions, I know that Google's going to give me better directions, but Google had real problems controlling an electrical outlet I had. In addition, it didn't always control my thermostat properly, and its microphones don't pick up as well. "Alexa" works from anywhere in my home, but "Hey Google" doesn't, even though they're right next to each other.
macnuke Afar
the last thing i would have is a "smart home" that would pummel me with more adds and tailor anything i wanted to interact with filtered to what some AI "thought" i needed/wanted or interests me.
Wendy and I got two HomePods, one purchased on Black Friday special, and another for Christmas (the first one was so amazing we immediately wanted a second one to use both with the AppleTV).

After we got the first I started to look into HomeKit stuff. The only thing I could find that looked useful is something that learns our AC remote control codes and then lets use turn the AC on or off and change settings from anywhere. That mostly looks useful because then we can make sure the cats aren't in a way too hot room without running it all day in summer. Otherwise, I couldn't find a point. I don't need colored lights, and while outlets that have remote control sounded cool at first I couldn't find a situation where it would actually matter.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I am staying as far from IoT devices as I can as long as I can.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I have Homekit and Alexa devices, an Ecobee thermostat, and some Philips Hue lights. I really like automated lighting when I walk down the hallway or open a closet.

Last edited by Robert B. on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:59 am.

sean Royal Wombat
I've got a smattering of Nest products (2 cameras, 1 video doorbell, 1 thermostat), and Philips Hue for lighting. All controlled with Siri (Apple HomeKit), programmed routines, and some Hue keypads scattered about.
sean posted:
I've got a smattering of Nest products (2 cameras, 1 video doorbell, 1 thermostat), and Philips Hue for lighting. All controlled with Siri (Apple HomeKit), programmed routines, and some Hue keypads scattered about.

On a day to day basis, what's the point of the Hue for you? How are they better than just regular lights?
ukimalefu Wasn't me
MacAddict4Life posted:
sean posted:

On a day to day basis, what's the point of the Hue for you? How are they better than just regular lights?

I don't have any, but having seen videos, I think they're cool. You can change the color, control them from your phone... I don't know if that makes them "better".
I know they do colors, but I have yet to identify when I would want to change the colors of my lights.
I want colored lights. I was thinking about the Philips Hue with color ambiance, but all of the reviews say LIFX is better.
TOS
don't see the appeal, never have ... never been a "tech for the sake of tech" kind of guy
I'd problably just get the Ikea smart bulbs and blinds. All I would want is on off and maybe dimming.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS posted:
don't see the appeal, never have ... never been a "tech for the sake of tech" kind of guy

There's always "did I leave the downstairs light on? meh" vs taking a few seconds to check an app on your phone and make sure, turn it off if you want, from your bed.

Things like that.
dv
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

There's always "did I leave the downstairs light on? meh" vs taking a few seconds to check an app on your phone and make sure, turn it off if you want, from your bed.

Things like that.

The damn app takes longer to load and establish contact with the smart-switches than just getting up to go look.

(Small house.)
maurvir Meat popsicle
TOS posted:

I used to have a fairly advanced (for the time) home automation system. I wrote a lot of the software myself, and it could handle lights, thermostat, HVAC, etc. After we moved, and my wife forbade me to do it to another house, I realized most of it was superfluous.

However, as someone who really likes "the right" ambient lighting, I still find myself attracted by RGB LED light bulbs. It's remarkable how much mood you can create (or destroy) through the use of lighting - both in terms of brightness and color. At some point, I wouldn't mind installing some of the newer smart bulbs for that reason.
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

Things like that.

The damn app takes longer to load and establish contact with the smart-switches than just getting up to go look.

(Small house.)

Or you could yell at the smart speaker.
dv
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

Things like that.

(Small house.)

Don't have one in my bedroom - don't want Google to hear me stick fiddling your mom. :p
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

Things like that.

(Small house.)

Don't have one in my bedroom - don't want Google to hear me stick fiddling your mom. :p

I keep my Invoke in the living room and can yell at it from the shitter.
obvs posted:
I want colored lights. I was thinking about the Philips Hue with color ambiance, but all of the reviews say LIFX is better.

When/where can you imagine wanting to change to color? What color or colors do you imagine using?
Old Yoda agitator
I am amazed at the decadence exposed in this thread. :roll:
dv
Ribtor posted:
This is the extent of my home automation; a clock that will turn on a radio at a pre set time.

I wanted one of those but the mechanical/flipover displays are apparently retro-chic now and rather expensive (I blame the movie Groundhog Day), so I ended up a slightly more modern one similar to this.

maurvir Meat popsicle
We have that same unit, but the clock set part went out. I repaired it with a couple of push buttons.
sean Royal Wombat
MacAddict4Life posted:

I can adjust brightness, white color temperature, and color to suit my mood and what I'm currently doing. For example, at the touch of a button, I can set the livingroom to very subdued lighting for watching a movie. I can approximate daylight in my otherwise slightly dark kitchen on bright sunny days, then switch to a softer, yellow-ier light in the evenings. It's amazing how a subtle change in color can completely change the feel of a space.

I also have a number of routines programmed. My exterior lights turn on automatically around sunset (random offset, up to 15 minutes before or 10 after), and turn off around sunrise.

I have geofencing enabled, so, when I leave the house, most of my interior lights turn off. They turn on automatically as I pull onto my street if I return home after sunset.

I have a button on the wall, just outside my bedroom door, that when pressed performs the following actions:
- Turns off all interior lights, except for the lights in the master bedroom, which it turns on, dimly.
- reconfigures exterior lights to my preferred overnight configuration)

I can also control all my lights from my phone, which is a handy thing.
dv posted:
Ribtor posted:

I wanted one of those but the mechanical/flipover displays are apparently retro-chic now and rather expensive (I blame the movie Groundhog Day), so I ended up a slightly more modern one similar to this.

This is the specific model I have. It has been running since the late 70s and keeps near perfect time. The volume control is very noisy though. I don't want to attempt a repair for fear I may damage the clock.
Old Yoda posted:
I am amazed at the decadence exposed in this thread. :roll:

Progress?
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
I have a gang of alexa devices and hue lights + smart outlets. I live alone so I like to make lights go on when I'm not at home. And also to yell at a smart speaker to turn everything off when I'm laying in bed because it's cold and I don't want to get up.

Also, anyone who is questioning the value of having lights that can be any color you'd like have not been single in their 20s or 30s. Make a mood, pals.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Oh also, I listen to a lot of music at home and being able to tell Alexa to play whatever is real nice.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Alexander Supertramp posted:
Oh also, I listen to a lot of music at home and being able to tell Alexa to play whatever is real nice.

So it can play more than just despacito? ;)
What ecosystem would you use for smart homes?
30% 30% [ 3 ]
10% 10% [ 1 ]
10% 10% [ 1 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
10% 10% [ 1 ]
40% 40% [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Smart home ecosystem?

Page: 1, 2