AT&T and Verizon start the 5G blatherskite early

Online now: juice
maurvir Meat popsicle
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... 4g-phones/

Quote:
While AT&T pretends to kick off the 5G mobile era early by slapping a 5G network indicator on 4G phones, Verizon Wireless says it won't be doing the same.

"[W]e're calling on the broad wireless industry to commit to labeling something 5G only if new device hardware is connecting to the network using new radio technology to deliver new capabilities," Verizon CTO Kyle Malady wrote in a blog post yesterday [emphasis theirs]. "Verizon is making this commitment today: We won't take an old phone and just change the software to turn the 4 in the status bar into a 5. We will not call our 4G network a 5G network if customers don't experience a performance or capability upgrade that only 5G can deliver."

Despite chastising AT&T, Verizon has also adopted the 5G label for technology that doesn't meet the industry 5G standard. Verizon recently started rolling out a 5G wireless home Internet service, but it's based on Verizon's own version of 5G rather than the 5G NR (New Radio) global standard.

:squint:

As an aside, this is why I switch my devices to their unlocked/unbranded firmware. Samsung has shown far more restraint than AT&T where it pertains to blatherskite updates.
My phone just says LTE and not 4g or whatever blatherskite :shrug:
Actually LTE is the baloney term, as the standards of LTE networks have never actually been met by the LTE networks put into place.
maurvir Meat popsicle
MacAddict4Life posted:
Actually LTE is the baloney term, as the standards of LTE networks have never actually been met by the LTE networks put into place.

Given that it stands for "Long Term Evolution" (from 3G to 4G), it was a somewhat baloney term. It was intended to describe the technologies required to implement a proper 4G network, which actually is a defined ITU standard.
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
With technology, a defined standard really doesn't mean anything. Colloquial use is much more important.
maurvir posted:
MacAddict4Life posted:

Given that it stands for "Long Term Evolution" (from 3G to 4G), it was a somewhat baloney term. It was intended to describe the technologies required to implement a proper 4G network, which actually is a defined ITU standard.

Yep. And it came into play after AT&T and Verizon devalued the term 4G by applying to 3.5G.

Yet they still never managed to meet LTE standards even once they deployed it.
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
Like I said, if the "real" LTE standard never gets met then was it ever really the real LTE?
:shrug:

Did any countries meet the official standard?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

AT&T and Verizon start the 5G blatherskite early