I'm about sick of Windows 10...

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Metacell
That works great when you can tell your developers "OK all of your old code is obsolete so now rewire your apps for our new os or else you're history". Sadly, that doesn't work so great when you have a dramatically larger developer network that is resistant to change and a massive library that you still need to support because it runs hospitals and nuclear stations.

Windows 10 is a work in progress, things are constantly changing. Like rebuilding a house brick by brick while the residents are still living in it. Sure, there may still be some old crud left but every biannual release replaces a part with something new. The font management tool literally was win 3.1 code and got replaced last year, for example.

And considering that Apple had to take a year off to focus on bug squashing, the "revolution instead of evolution" mentality does have some long term viability issues.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
Yeah, dumping the entirety of System 9 into a compatibility library and starting over from scratch (sort of) was a huge opportunity to flush the turds out of the OS.

They should have kept Navigation Services.
Don't care about code as long as it stays out of my way, doesn't spy on me, and I get my work done.

Anyway, here a picture of a naked CPU.

Ribtor posted:
I am going to give Windows 10 Pro a try in a replacement workstation.

Fortunately all the spying is easily shut down through the built-in firewall with a tidy little cmd script that someone has kindly provided. There are also small apps that simplify removing or disabling the spyware, but the firewall method seems the most direct. But I did both methods just because.

Automatic Updates are disabled with a small addition to the registry. Manual updating is still possible.

I had to downgrade the local file-sharing to SMB1 for my XP and Win98 machines. Windows 10 provides the means to do that itself, so that was painless. But it should have been an automated option rather than being so cryptic about it.

Classic shell has proven helpful and all my old applications and devices installed fine.

Windows 10 forces itself onto the user in ways I have no time for.

I just have to see if Windows 10 is a sack of human waste as a workstation OS now that I have disabled its only reason to exist.

The AMD X399 threadripper chipset does support Windows 7 but they don't want people using it. They make installing Windows 7 a challenge.

Three months with Windows 10 in a standalone graphics workstation. It's fine.

All the spying, invasive behaviour and auto-updates have been successfully defeated so the workstation works as well as I would expect my XP and Windows 7 machines to behave in that regard. No network traffic I don't allow and no updates unless I say so, period.

No compatibility issues with my productive software (Office, Adobe, scanners and printers) some of which are 15 years old.

If ASUS had made my workstation motherboard with PS/2 keyboard and mouse connectors, or USB2 connectors supported by the Windows 7 installer, I could see no reason to bother with Windows 10. It brings nothing to a 2D graphics workstation that I find useful.

There are ways to slipstream drivers into a Windows 7 install to enable it on my motherboard but I figured I would try Using Windows 10 first.

A big thanks to the clever people who wrote the scripts that shut down those Windows 10 "features". Without those I would have slipstreamed Windows 7 for sure.

Last edited by Ribtor on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:46 pm.

Vulture 420
People still use Windows?
Vulture posted:
People still use Windows?

That's a little like asking "people still drive on the right side of the road?"
Vulture 420
Is it though? It might be more like saying, "people still drive Volkswagens?". It might be most like saying, "People still drive standard transmissions?".
Vulture posted:
Is it though? It might be more like saying, "people still drive Volkswagens?". It might be most like saying, "People still drive standard transmissions?".

It's something that's used by the vast majority of the world, and so ubiquitous that it's use isn't really questioned. For the vast majority of the world there's not enough incentive to go through the hassle of switching over, if they even bother to give it any thought. The only people who would even think to question if it's still a thing are the ones who keep to their own island of unique technology and have a culture that seems strange and exotic to other people... And the British.
Vulture 420
Yeah, I understand that. It's just that coming from the Apple Macintosh perspective it was always Mac vs. Windows, and now it's like, Mac vs. Nobody. You know what's interesting, using a Mac has led me to using Linux, and never using MS Windows. I did learn how to type on monochrome IBMs using DOS, does that count?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Vulture posted:
Yeah, I understand that. It's just that coming from the Apple Macintosh perspective it was always Mac vs. Windows, and now it's like, Mac vs. Nobody. You know what's interesting, using a Mac has led me to using Linux, and never using MS Windows. I did learn how to type on monochrome IBMs using DOS, does that count?

The RIP I use at work to burn plates runs on Windows. But Windows has always been best a dull tasks.
Microsoft has had its ass kicked around the block these last ten years or so, completely shut out of mobile and the billions of devices that segment represents. They are slowly sliding into irrelevance just like IBM and Xerox before that.
To paraphrase Jimi Hendrix: Companies that are not busy being born are busy dying.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

I'm about sick of Windows 10...

Page: 1, 2