I'm about sick of Windows 10...

Online now: Google [Bot], juice
maurvir Meat popsicle
Apparently my machine has developed the "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued." bug, and freezes occasionally. I have tried all of the suggestions so far, and none of them have fixed it.

I am seriously considering a downgrade back to Windows 7 at this point... :goth:
dv
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
maurvir posted:
Apparently my machine has developed the "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued." bug, and freezes occasionally. I have tried all of the suggestions so far, and none of them have fixed it.

I am seriously considering a upgrade back to Windows 7 at this point... :goth:

FTFY
Let us know if the problem goes away or persists after the switch.
Something to do with drivers for the hard drive controller?
Maybe power settings for standby or hibernation or backup?

Regardless, ditch Windows 10.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
If you must...

clean install?
macnuke Afar
Macintosh10 perchance?
maurvir Meat popsicle
If it weren't for Subnautica, which I actually really like, I would turn this thing into a Hackintosh right away. It has a supported chipset, and other than the NVidia graphics card, would work great as a Mac. I'm still tempted to just dual-boot the thing into Windows when I want to play.

I might try the clean install method, first, though. This problem only started a few months ago.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Subnautica is available for OS X.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
It is very, very easy to install a mainstream Linux like Ubuntu or Mint alongside Windows. The installer will take care of re-partitioning and setting up the boot-loader automatically.
Easy, peazy.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Ars Technica
Anti-cheat software causing big problems for Windows 10 previews
Quote:
Sarkar says that the fix must come from the third-party company that developed the anti-cheat software. Often when compatibility issues arise, Microsoft will modify either Windows or the errant application to ensure that it continues to run, but the anti-cheat drivers are a different story entirely. They run in kernel mode (hence the GSOD when they crash) and routinely tamper with pieces of the operating system that they're not supposed to tamper with. It's possible that this particular driver is doing nothing forbidden and using only officially permitted hooks within the kernel to do its business; it's also very likely that it's messing with things it shouldn't mess with and damaging kernel data structures or code.

In my view, just another confirmation that yes - Information DOES indeed want to be free.

When you start writing code to essentially ‘break’ your product, the consequences ripple out.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Man, the rolling release thing is working out pretty much exactly as well as I thought it would when it was first announced.
To be fair that's on the third party software that's accessing system resources it shouldn't it can and has happened on Mac os. I need to Google it but a few years ago upgrading Mac os X to the latest version failed because of a third party program - I don't think it was anti-virus but I can't remember now - did many unnecessary checks at startup (the developer likened it to checking that the sky was blue) and when it encountered the new os version it would crash it during the OS finished booting.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:
To be fair that's on the third party software that's accessing system resources it shouldn't it can and has happened on Mac os. I need to Google it but a few years ago upgrading Mac os X to the latest version failed because of a third party program - I don't think it was anti-virus but I can't remember now - did many unnecessary checks at startup (the developer likened it to checking that the sky was blue) and when it encountered the new os version it would crash it during the OS finished booting.

Kinda seems like MS has brought the fun and excitement of Arch Linux to the mainstream desktop with Win10. Not just with this, but with a long series of update fuck-ups.
I am glad I use a stable and reliable OS. :p
maurvir Meat popsicle
In fairness to Microsoft, it sounds like this problem is due to some third party kernel level driver screwing up, not a core defect.
maurvir posted:
In fairness to Microsoft, it sounds like this problem is due to some third party kernel level driver screwing up, not a core defect.

Hush. Some people just want an excuse to be indiginate and are willing to overlook the fact that this can and has happened to other OSS.
dv
maurvir posted:

My brother recently (last weekend) switched from Linux to Win10, because the latest version of XUbuntu apparently (according to him - I didn't get details) dropped support for some component of his laptop (an HP Elitebook 2170p.)

He's liking it.
macnuke Afar
I really like an OS that works.
playing around i prefer Mac OS.
but really... long as it runs what's needed. i'm good.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Windows still wastes me off with its constant forced updates and desktop switch interruptions to remind me that the last scan found nothing.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Betonhaus posted:

Link or you’re lying.

I recall nothing of the sort. Prove it.
It was probably a decade ago, and I don't remember any useful keywords. But I'll track it down, thanks for reminding me.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:

Not a very good example when the fix is so simple. Delete a kext and done. Completely unlike the Windows problem in discussion.
Man I wished Adobe would make CC for Linux. Anyhoo, unrelated but I am upgrading my work laptop to Mojave, :)
gd Ya boi, Guzma
avkills posted:
Man I wished Adobe would make CC for Linux. Anyhoo, unrelated but I am upgrading my work laptop to Mojave, :)

Now you are behind the times. I'm running mac os Weeds.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

I'm about sick of Windows 10...