I'm about sick of Windows 10...

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Apparently my machine has developed the "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued." bug, and freezes occasionally. I have tried all of the suggestions so far, and none of them have fixed it.

I am seriously considering a downgrade back to Windows 7 at this point... :goth:
dv
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
maurvir posted:
Apparently my machine has developed the "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued." bug, and freezes occasionally. I have tried all of the suggestions so far, and none of them have fixed it.

I am seriously considering a upgrade back to Windows 7 at this point... :goth:

FTFY
Let us know if the problem goes away or persists after the switch.
Something to do with drivers for the hard drive controller?
Maybe power settings for standby or hibernation or backup?

Regardless, ditch Windows 10.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
If you must...

clean install?
macnuke Afar
Macintosh10 perchance?
If it weren't for Subnautica, which I actually really like, I would turn this thing into a Hackintosh right away. It has a supported chipset, and other than the NVidia graphics card, would work great as a Mac. I'm still tempted to just dual-boot the thing into Windows when I want to play.

I might try the clean install method, first, though. This problem only started a few months ago.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Subnautica is available for OS X.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
It is very, very easy to install a mainstream Linux like Ubuntu or Mint alongside Windows. The installer will take care of re-partitioning and setting up the boot-loader automatically.
Easy, peazy.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Ars Technica
Anti-cheat software causing big problems for Windows 10 previews
Quote:
Sarkar says that the fix must come from the third-party company that developed the anti-cheat software. Often when compatibility issues arise, Microsoft will modify either Windows or the errant application to ensure that it continues to run, but the anti-cheat drivers are a different story entirely. They run in kernel mode (hence the GSOD when they crash) and routinely tamper with pieces of the operating system that they're not supposed to tamper with. It's possible that this particular driver is doing nothing forbidden and using only officially permitted hooks within the kernel to do its business; it's also very likely that it's messing with things it shouldn't mess with and damaging kernel data structures or code.

In my view, just another confirmation that yes - Information DOES indeed want to be free.

When you start writing code to essentially ‘break’ your product, the consequences ripple out.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Man, the rolling release thing is working out pretty much exactly as well as I thought it would when it was first announced.
To be fair that's on the third party software that's accessing system resources it shouldn't it can and has happened on Mac os. I need to Google it but a few years ago upgrading Mac os X to the latest version failed because of a third party program - I don't think it was anti-virus but I can't remember now - did many unnecessary checks at startup (the developer likened it to checking that the sky was blue) and when it encountered the new os version it would crash it during the OS finished booting.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:
To be fair that's on the third party software that's accessing system resources it shouldn't it can and has happened on Mac os. I need to Google it but a few years ago upgrading Mac os X to the latest version failed because of a third party program - I don't think it was anti-virus but I can't remember now - did many unnecessary checks at startup (the developer likened it to checking that the sky was blue) and when it encountered the new os version it would crash it during the OS finished booting.

Kinda seems like MS has brought the fun and excitement of Arch Linux to the mainstream desktop with Win10. Not just with this, but with a long series of update fuck-ups.
I am glad I use a stable and reliable OS. :p
In fairness to Microsoft, it sounds like this problem is due to some third party kernel level driver screwing up, not a core defect.
maurvir posted:
In fairness to Microsoft, it sounds like this problem is due to some third party kernel level driver screwing up, not a core defect.

Hush. Some people just want an excuse to be indiginate and are willing to overlook the fact that this can and has happened to other OSS.
dv
maurvir posted:

My brother recently (last weekend) switched from Linux to Win10, because the latest version of XUbuntu apparently (according to him - I didn't get details) dropped support for some component of his laptop (an HP Elitebook 2170p.)

He's liking it.
macnuke Afar
I really like an OS that works.
playing around i prefer Mac OS.
but really... long as it runs what's needed. i'm good.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Windows still wastes me off with its constant forced updates and desktop switch interruptions to remind me that the last scan found nothing.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Betonhaus posted:

Link or you’re lying.

I recall nothing of the sort. Prove it.
It was probably a decade ago, and I don't remember any useful keywords. But I'll track it down, thanks for reminding me.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:

Not a very good example when the fix is so simple. Delete a kext and done. Completely unlike the Windows problem in discussion.
Man I wished Adobe would make CC for Linux. Anyhoo, unrelated but I am upgrading my work laptop to Mojave, :)
gd Hero of Twilight
avkills posted:
Man I wished Adobe would make CC for Linux. Anyhoo, unrelated but I am upgrading my work laptop to Mojave, :)

Now you are behind the times. I'm running mac os Weeds.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
This thread dates to early January 2019.

This is Forbes today.
Quote:
I don’t even cover Windows 10 updates on a regular basis, yet I’m already struggling for creative ways to introduce news like this. So let’s just get straight to it. Following the latest string of problems crippling Windows 10 PCs running anti-virus software, Microsoft has warned users of a new problem that will cause the upcoming Windows 10 May 2019 update to be blocked.

I've yet to encounter any Win10 install screwups. Seems to work ok. The thing about Windows for me is that I just don't like the way it feels. Right now for me it is just a gaming system; OS X is when I need to do work or deal with personal stuff.

The linux + OS X virtual machine idea has me thinking though -- possibly what I may do in the future for my next machine. Kind of depends on how bad Apple fucks up with the new Mac Pro and whether or not I need to sell my house to buy one.
juice Inadvertently correct
I'm also waiting for the new Mac Pro.

It will determine whether I'll be moving to Linux.
avkills posted:
I've yet to encounter any Win10 install screwups. Seems to work ok. The thing about Windows for me is that I just don't like the way it feels. Right now for me it is just a gaming system; OS X is when I need to do work or deal with personal stuff.

The linux + OS X virtual machine idea has me thinking though -- possibly what I may do in the future for my next machine. Kind of depends on how bad Apple fucks up with the new Mac Pro and whether or not I need to sell my house to buy one.

This seems to be happening more commonly on older CPUs and chipsets. I have an i7-3770 with a Z77 chipset.

So far, the freezing has stopped with the latest updates, but now it seems it has started shutting down entirely instead. It isn't the hardware, either. I ran several diagnostics overnight, and a few for a few days, and it never blinked. The behavior seems to be following Windows updates instead.

I am so tempted to turn it into a hackintosh, but I have too much Windows software to make that a realistic option.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Quote:
DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS!

Jeez. And a walled garden.
iDaemon posted:

This is Forbes today.
Quote:
I don’t even cover Windows 10 updates on a regular basis, yet I’m already struggling for creative ways to introduce news like this. So let’s just get straight to it. Following the latest string of problems crippling Windows 10 PCs running anti-virus software, Microsoft has warned users of a new problem that will cause the upcoming Windows 10 May 2019 update to be blocked.

windows 10 defender makes it obsolete, you just screwing with system for no reason. i didn't even know people still ran antiviral software anymore, anti-vax is the way to be :shifty:
dv
Aaron_R posted:
iDaemon posted:

This is Forbes today.
Quote:

windows 10 defender makes it obsolete, you just screwing with system for no reason. i didn't even know people still ran antiviral software anymore, anti-vax is the way to be :shifty:

There is still a lot of anti-microsoft bias that prompts people to pay money for AV software they don't really need.

Seems to me a lot of the complaints are people who experience too many false positives, but IMHO that's preferable to the alternative.

A lot of the same complainers seem to have frequent difficulties with malware, which I don't really understand. It's almost like they're engaging in risky behavior and then intentionally disabling the software that prevents the consequences of that behavior.

Just goes to show that nothing can be 100% idiot proof, but Microsoft is trying.
maurvir posted:
avkills posted:

This seems to be happening more commonly on older CPUs and chipsets. I have an i7-3770 with a Z77 chipset.

So far, the freezing has stopped with the latest updates, but now it seems it has started shutting down entirely instead. It isn't the hardware, either. I ran several diagnostics overnight, and a few for a few days, and it never blinked. The behavior seems to be following Windows updates instead.

I am so tempted to turn it into a hackintosh, but I have too much Windows software to make that a realistic option.

Just but another SSD drive, hell it could even be a 250GB just to test; I will tell you this though, make sure your Windows boot drive is NOT connected when you start doing the hackintosh install.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
avkills posted:
maurvir posted:
avkills posted:

Just but another SSD drive, hell it could even be a 250GB just to test; I will tell you this though, make sure your Windows boot drive is NOT connected when you start doing the hackintosh install.

I always disconnect all non-target drives when installing an OS, any OS.
It's just a best practice.
I am going to give Windows 10 Pro a try in a replacement workstation.

Fortunately all the spying is easily shut down through the built-in firewall with a tidy little cmd script that someone has kindly provided. There are also small apps that simplify removing or disabling the spyware, but the firewall method seems the most direct. But I did both methods just because.

Automatic Updates are disabled with a small addition to the registry. Manual updating is still possible.

I had to downgrade the local file-sharing to SMB1 for my XP and Win98 machines. Windows 10 provides the means to do that itself, so that was painless. But it should have been an automated option rather than being so cryptic about it.

Classic shell has proven helpful and all my old applications and devices installed fine.

Windows 10 forces itself onto the user in ways I have no time for.

I just have to see if Windows 10 is a sack of human waste as a workstation OS now that I have disabled its only reason to exist.

The AMD X399 threadripper chipset does support Windows 7 but they don't want people using it. They make installing Windows 7 a challenge.
TOS
i've got a tablet with windows 10 and it's gotten so buggy it's barely useable at all ... the settings continually get borked, everything from audio to screen resolution, and even just connecting to wi-fi is a huge pain in the ass

i just can't believe that microsoft has been building operating systems or ~40 years and still produces such a lousy, substandard product
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
i've got a tablet with windows 10 and it's gotten so buggy it's barely useable at all ... the settings continually get borked, everything from audio to screen resolution, and even just connecting to wi-fi is a huge pain in the ass

i just can't believe that microsoft has been building operating systems or ~40 years and still produces such a lousy, substandard product

I think the length of time MS has been developing the same OS thread is their main problem. You go digging around in win10 and you find setting panels that look like they were designed under Win 3.1.1. I can only imagine the ancient cruft hiding in the code, invisible to the user if visible parts are so outdated.
Not to mention all of the hacks MS has made to Windows for important developers over the years.
Apple has been luckier having to deal with major disruptions over the years: ProDOS to MacOS to OSX, 68k to PPC to x86. Apple has had to over and over massively rewrite their code.
This kept things fresher and cleaner and provided opportunities for housecleaning that MS has never had.
Yeah, dumping the entirety of System 9 into a compatibility library and starting over from scratch (sort of) was a huge opportunity to flush the turds out of the OS.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

I'm about sick of Windows 10...

Page: 1, 2