Dash Cams

Online now: DEyncourt, Donkey Butter, Google [Bot], juice
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Any recommendations? Cheap recommendations. I want something that’s easy to use and recorded video is clear. I’ve had too many near misses lately, and my iPhone shakes too much on the mount, plus I don’t want to wipe out my storage recording .
dv
I had one of these for a while (it went to my brother with the car it was installed in.)

Doesn't include an SD card, so that adds a few bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE/

Dunno if $100 really counts as cheap for you, but this has pretty good video quality and a wider viewing angle than most dashcams.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
here's some reviews

http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam/

all by the same british guy
Thanks, guys. Got a couple in my wish list to look at later.

dv: was that one removable?
dv
justine posted:

There was a clip you stuck to your windshield with 3M foam tape. The camera itself could be slipped off if you wanted.
dv posted:
justine posted:

There was a clip you stuck to your windshield with 3M foam tape. The camera itself could be slipped off if you wanted.

Oh that's awesome. I want removable. I don't even leave my Fastrak in the car.
So, i'm going real cheap for starters. It's one of the low end ones in the list Uki provided. With Micro SD included, it comes out to $52. I have $46 left in gift cards. Before i actually make the purchase, i want to check something else.
So, this is the one i got. Of course the micro sd is coming in a different order. :brow:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Let us know who well it works. If it's good for under $50 I'd get one too.
I will as soon as the Micro SD comes! It got decent reviews on that link Uki provided. The next one up also comes with a rear camera.
So, one thing I didn’t consider. This cam attached with adhesive. I’m not going to mount it til I get some Velcro do I can easily remove it.
Let me recommend NOT getting one which uses a suction cup to adhere to the windshield.

Recall this one? While I never used that waste of my money as a dash cam, I was able to use it for a while as sort of a tray attached to my desk upon which I could hang things or put on small items--waste not, want not.

That WAS until the hard plastic base covering that suction cup cracked in half. Now that dash cam is in my bin of salvageable electronic parts if only for its rechargeable battery.
Thanks for the tip!
So, i got some precut velcro and will use that. I haven't had time to figure out where i want it to go, and exactly how to save the video i want/need to save. I'll keep you updated pariah.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Ran into a little snag that's not related to the dash cam. My iMac isn't mounting the card reader, so i have to figure that out. I wanted to view the files before commenting. I will say the cable is kinda cumbersome but i'm too lazy to try and route it around somehow,.
<redacted, reading comprehension ftw>

Last edited by Betonhaus on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:18 am.

Old Yoda agitator
Pocket lint in the slot?
dv
justine posted:
Ran into a little snag that's not related to the dash cam. My iMac isn't mounting the card reader, so i have to figure that out. I wanted to view the files before commenting. I will say the cable is kinda cumbersome but i'm too lazy to try and route it around somehow,.

If the SD card reader in your computer is broken, an external USB one is like $5.
New Mac. SHOULDN'T be broken.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Does your Disk utility see the card?
If it does you may be able to force mount it inside the utility or at least find out what kind of file system is on it.
dv
justine posted:
New Mac. SHOULDN'T be broken.

No such thing. They're fragile.

My housemates mbp had it's motherboard replaced twice because of broken sd card readers. The third time it broke out of warranty so she just uses a USB doodad.

Mine is flaky.
pariah, i'll have to check tomorrow.

dv, she couldve likely gotten it replaced since it was a documented issue with hers, even if it was out of warranty.
Pariah, how can i share this to you? I finally got a USB card reader.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
justine posted:
Pariah, how can i share this to you? I finally got a USB card reader.

What are we trying to do?
I actually tagged someone on FB and asked them to show it to you. It's pretty good for $40 something.
I still can't get over how clear this is, especially for the price. The only downside is the cable is sooooo cumbersome. It's long enough (intentionally, i think) so you can route it around the inside frame, but IIRC, the instructions assumed the place you plug in is somewhere around the dash, and mine is in the center console. A coworker uses a wireless antenna, but i don't think i can. I believe it can only be powered by the cord being plugged in. It won't be an issue until i have a passenger in the front seat, and even then i can work around that. Most people would not deal with that, but it's worth it for the price, until i get tired of it. When i get a new car, i might look into seeing if that brand has a wireless version.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
justine posted:
I still can't get over how clear this is, especially for the price. The only downside is the cable is sooooo cumbersome. It's long enough (intentionally, i think) so you can route it around the inside frame, but IIRC, the instructions assumed the place you plug in is somewhere around the dash, and mine is in the center console. A coworker uses a wireless antenna, but i don't think i can. I believe it can only be powered by the cord being plugged in. It won't be an issue until i have a passenger in the front seat, and even then i can work around that. Most people would not deal with that, but it's worth it for the price, until i get tired of it. When i get a new car, i might look into seeing if that brand has a wireless version.

The vid quality is very nice, especially at that price point.
So, in case anyone was considering it, i just ordered a secon one for the Nissan so i wouldn't have to keep swapping it from car to car. Amazon actually had a $5 coupon, too, so it was even cheaper. You just can't beat the quality for that price.
macnuke Afar
so really.. you gotta post the stupid human waste you catch on the camera please.
It's really boring looking thru 3 minute segments. Snooze boring. Now i know how security feels when they have to look at footage to see who stole someones lunch.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
justine posted:
It's really boring looking thru 3 minute segments. Snooze boring. Now i know how security feels when they have to look at footage to see who stole someones lunch.

Turn the segments into a play list in VLC for continuous play?
It's still incredibly boring. Lotsa music and WTF's. :lol:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
If I remember right this will Concatenate almost any series of files:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/9545/split-concat
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Dash Cams