Dash Cams

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Dash Cams

Post by justine »

Any recommendations? Cheap recommendations. I want something that’s easy to use and recorded video is clear. I’ve had too many near misses lately, and my iPhone shakes too much on the mount, plus I don’t want to wipe out my storage recording .
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
dv

Post by dv »

I had one of these for a while (it went to my brother with the car it was installed in.)

Doesn't include an SD card, so that adds a few bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE/

Dunno if $100 really counts as cheap for you, but this has pretty good video quality and a wider viewing angle than most dashcams.
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

here's some reviews

http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam/

all by the same british guy
justine

Post by justine »

Thanks, guys. Got a couple in my wish list to look at later.

dv: was that one removable?
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
dv

Post by dv »

justine wrote: Thanks, guys. Got a couple in my wish list to look at later.

There was a clip you stuck to your windshield with 3M foam tape. The camera itself could be slipped off if you wanted.
justine

Post by justine »

dv wrote:
justine wrote: Thanks, guys. Got a couple in my wish list to look at later.

There was a clip you stuck to your windshield with 3M foam tape. The camera itself could be slipped off if you wanted.

Oh that's awesome. I want removable. I don't even leave my Fastrak in the car.

justine

Post by justine »

So, i'm going real cheap for starters. It's one of the low end ones in the list Uki provided. With Micro SD included, it comes out to $52. I have $46 left in gift cards. Before i actually make the purchase, i want to check something else.

justine

Post by justine »

So, this is the one i got. Of course the micro sd is coming in a different order. :brow:

Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

Let us know who well it works. If it's good for under $50 I'd get one too.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
justine

Post by justine »

I will as soon as the Micro SD comes! It got decent reviews on that link Uki provided. The next one up also comes with a rear camera.

justine

Post by justine »

So, one thing I didn’t consider. This cam attached with adhesive. I’m not going to mount it til I get some Velcro do I can easily remove it.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Let me recommend NOT getting one which uses a suction cup to adhere to the windshield.

Recall this one? While I never used that waste of my money as a dash cam, I was able to use it for a while as sort of a tray attached to my desk upon which I could hang things or put on small items--waste not, want not.

That WAS until the hard plastic base covering that suction cup cracked in half. Now that dash cam is in my bin of salvageable electronic parts if only for its rechargeable battery.
justine

Post by justine »

Thanks for the tip!

justine

Post by justine »

So, i got some precut velcro and will use that. I haven't had time to figure out where i want it to go, and exactly how to save the video i want/need to save. I'll keep you updated pariah.

Pariah

Post by Pariah »

:D
justine

Post by justine »

Ran into a little snag that's not related to the dash cam. My iMac isn't mounting the card reader, so i have to figure that out. I wanted to view the files before commenting. I will say the cable is kinda cumbersome but i'm too lazy to try and route it around somehow,.

Betonhaus

Post by Betonhaus »

<redacted, reading comprehension ftw>
Last edited by Betonhaus on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Yoda
Title: agitator

Post by Old Yoda »

Pocket lint in the slot?
Unlimited Growth is the Ideology of a Cancer Cell
dv

Post by dv »

justine wrote: Ran into a little snag that's not related to the dash cam. My iMac isn't mounting the card reader, so i have to figure that out. I wanted to view the files before commenting. I will say the cable is kinda cumbersome but i'm too lazy to try and route it around somehow,.

If the SD card reader in your computer is broken, an external USB one is like $5.
justine

Post by justine »

New Mac. SHOULDN'T be broken.

Pariah

Post by Pariah »

Does your Disk utility see the card?
If it does you may be able to force mount it inside the utility or at least find out what kind of file system is on it.
dv

Post by dv »

justine wrote: New Mac. SHOULDN'T be broken.

No such thing. They're fragile.

My housemates mbp had it's motherboard replaced twice because of broken sd card readers. The third time it broke out of warranty so she just uses a USB doodad.

Mine is flaky.
justine

Post by justine »

pariah, i'll have to check tomorrow.

dv, she couldve likely gotten it replaced since it was a documented issue with hers, even if it was out of warranty.

justine

Post by justine »

Pariah, how can i share this to you? I finally got a USB card reader.

Pariah

Post by Pariah »

justine wrote: Pariah, how can i share this to you? I finally got a USB card reader.

What are we trying to do?
justine

Post by justine »

I actually tagged someone on FB and asked them to show it to you. It's pretty good for $40 something.

justine

Post by justine »

I still can't get over how clear this is, especially for the price. The only downside is the cable is sooooo cumbersome. It's long enough (intentionally, i think) so you can route it around the inside frame, but IIRC, the instructions assumed the place you plug in is somewhere around the dash, and mine is in the center console. A coworker uses a wireless antenna, but i don't think i can. I believe it can only be powered by the cord being plugged in. It won't be an issue until i have a passenger in the front seat, and even then i can work around that. Most people would not deal with that, but it's worth it for the price, until i get tired of it. When i get a new car, i might look into seeing if that brand has a wireless version.

Pariah

Post by Pariah »

justine wrote: I still can't get over how clear this is, especially for the price. The only downside is the cable is sooooo cumbersome. It's long enough (intentionally, i think) so you can route it around the inside frame, but IIRC, the instructions assumed the place you plug in is somewhere around the dash, and mine is in the center console. A coworker uses a wireless antenna, but i don't think i can. I believe it can only be powered by the cord being plugged in. It won't be an issue until i have a passenger in the front seat, and even then i can work around that. Most people would not deal with that, but it's worth it for the price, until i get tired of it. When i get a new car, i might look into seeing if that brand has a wireless version.

The vid quality is very nice, especially at that price point.
justine

Post by justine »

So, in case anyone was considering it, i just ordered a secon one for the Nissan so i wouldn't have to keep swapping it from car to car. Amazon actually had a $5 coupon, too, so it was even cheaper. You just can't beat the quality for that price.

macnuke
Title: PureBleed

Post by macnuke »

so really.. you gotta post the stupid human waste you catch on the camera please.

There are no illegitimate children...only illegitimate parents.

justine

Post by justine »

It's really boring looking thru 3 minute segments. Snooze boring. Now i know how security feels when they have to look at footage to see who stole someones lunch.

Pariah

Post by Pariah »

justine wrote: It's really boring looking thru 3 minute segments. Snooze boring. Now i know how security feels when they have to look at footage to see who stole someones lunch.

Turn the segments into a play list in VLC for continuous play?
justine

Post by justine »

It's still incredibly boring. Lotsa music and WTF's. :lol:

Pariah

Post by Pariah »

If I remember right this will Concatenate almost any series of files:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/9545/split-concat