EFF gift guide: "What's Creeping Us Out"

Online now: DEyncourt
Source.

Yes, mostly the usual suspects but worth reviewing.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Just noting for all the Apple haters out there/here - although I didn’t click any of the informational links in that article, that there were zero mentions of Apple or iPhone in that piece. Although the HomePod does fit in the generic category they reference. Alexa is called out, not Siri.

And that’s just how I expect it to be.

Others may have more pejorative views.
iDaemon posted:
Just noting for all the Apple haters out there/here - although I didn’t click any of the informational links in that article, that there were zero mentions of Apple or iPhone in that piece. Although the HomePod does fit in the generic category they reference. Alexa is called out, not Siri.

And that’s just how I expect it to be.

Others may have more pejorative views.

Considering that Siri is very very stupid compared to any of the other major vouce assistants I suspect that's just a tradeoff we have to live with.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Haha! I stick fiddling knew that’d be the parry. “She’s too dumb to do that fancy stuff.”
iDaemon posted:
Haha! I stick fiddling knew that’d be the parry. “She’s too dumb to do that fancy stuff.”

It's not a parry, it's an objective observation. Microsoft, Google, and Amazon all use their big server farms to parse the command and problably have a big neural network to constantly improve recognition. Siri does everything on the device and is constrained by the processing power available and the precognizance of the developers who wrote her else if chain.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
I am not certain your summary is accurate.

But yeah...my AppleIDMail does not run ads for Pampers if I use ‘baby’ in an email. And other various pairings and associations that might be monetized are not a Siri thing.
iDaemon posted:

But yeah...my AppleIDMail does not run ads for Pampers if I use ‘baby’ in an email. And other various pairings and associations that might be monetized are not a Siri thing.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Granted I use outlook and Cortana mostly, but my phone doesn't do anything like that. The most I heard had Facebook as the perpetrator.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Betonhaus posted:
iDaemon posted:

I have no idea what you are talking about. Granted I use outlook and Cortana mostly, but my phone doesn't do anything like that. The most I heard had Facebook as the perpetrator.

targeted ads is what google does, you get ads based on words in your email, or what website you're on. That's never been a secret.
Betonhaus posted:
iDaemon posted:

It's not a parry, it's an objective observation. Microsoft, Google, and Amazon all use their big server farms to parse the command and problably have a big neural network to constantly improve recognition. Siri does everything on the device and is constrained by the processing power available and the precognizance of the developers who wrote her else if chain.

I'm not sure it's accurate to say Siri does everything on the device. As I understand it, Siri does all of the speech recognition on the device, so your speech is not uploaded for cloud-side processing. However the actual query is sent to a server for interpretation and handling. For example, if I am out with my Apple Watch without my phone (non-LTE watch and no wifi available), Siri can't skip to the next song for me, because she can process the speech into text on the device, but not interpret or execute the command. Similarly, if I turn airplane mode on, Siri on my iPhone can't answer "what time is it?"
ukimalefu posted:
Betonhaus posted:
iDaemon posted:

targeted ads is what google does, you get ads based on words in your email, or what website you're on. That's never been a secret.

ah. I use adblock out of necessity and don't have any apps with ads in them that I use regularly.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Your definition and methodology and operational modality of ‘computing’ is...suspect, warped and otherwise skewed. In general terms.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
I have to admire the story here and the brilliant concepts being coded.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... oogle-huge

Yet, I know some weird data combo is the path to Brazil.
maurvir Meat popsicle
iDaemon posted:
I have to admire the story here and the brilliant concepts being coded.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... oogle-huge

Yet, I know some weird data combo is the path to Brazil.

Wow, that was a really great read. Thanks!
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Sure thing. Glad you found it worthwhile.

It could almost be a mini “Soul-of-a-New-DataSet”. Or something poetic.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
The Verge (via AppleNews)
Quote:
There’s a giant ad on the side of a building in Las Vegas, making a wordplay on the classic “what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas” line. Nothing unusual about that, except it’s been set up by Apple just in time for the Consumer Electronics Show’s arrival in town, an event that the iPhone maker traditionally pretends isn’t even happening.
Taking over the side of a hotel strategically positioned right next to the Las Vegas Convention Center (LVCC), Apple’s multi-story ad keeps things simple: “What happens on your iPhone, stays on your iPhone.” Below that resides a link to apple.com/privacy, where the company expounds at greater length about the security of things like Apple Pay, Face ID, and the health data collected by the Apple Watch. Every person attending CES this coming week will inevitably see this stark white-on-black ad.

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

EFF gift guide: "What's Creeping Us Out"