Small town to put in municipal fibre, reject Comcast

Online now: Google [Bot]
Source.

Of course they are in danger of Comcast drastically undercutting their service's prices to discourage cutters.

On the other hand, Spectrum is offering cable and Internet services for much less than AT&T. I remember them as Time-Warner Cable. I have vowed that they could offer to PAY ME their monthly fees and I would reject them with extreme prejudice.
juice Inadvertently correct
We have Spectrum here. I've never had issue.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Quote:
Charlemont has about 1,300 residents and covers about 26 square miles in northwest Massachusetts. Town officials estimate that building a municipal fiber network reaching 100 percent of homes would cost $1,466,972 plus interest over 20 years.

An increase in property taxes would cover the construction cost. But the town would also bring in revenue from selling broadband service and potentially break even, making the project less expensive than Comcast's offer.

iDaemon infinitely loopy
Ars Technica
Quote:
A committee that advises the Federal Communications Commission on consumer-related matters now includes a representative of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), which lobbies against municipal broadband, net neutrality, and other consumer protection measures.
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai announced his Consumer Advisory Committee's new makeup on Wednesday. One new member is Jonathon Hauenschild, director of ALEC's Task Force on Communications and Technology. He and other Consumer Advisory Committee will serve two-year terms.
ALEC writes model state laws and urges state legislatures to adopt them, and it has helped convince about 20 states to pass laws that make it difficult or impossible for cities and towns to offer broadband service.
Hauenschild, who wrote on Twitter that he's "looking forward to helping advise the FCC on consumer matters," has told the FCC in filings that it should stop regulating net neutrality and preempt state and local broadband laws. He's argued that California's net neutrality law is "disastrous." On the topic of municipal broadband, he argued that states should ensure that municipalities have "tried all other options before launching a municipal network including public-private partnerships."

Fuckery of the highest order.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Small town to put in municipal fibre, reject Comcast