Drag-and-drop not working

Page: 1, 2
Online now: DEyncourt, Google [Bot]
Bren Everything went to hell after Empire.
Help! I was just clearing some old files off an older Mac, running El Capitan, and was stymied by the fact that drag-and-drop was not working right. I would try to drag a file to a new folder on my Sandisk USB stick, but when I released the mouse button, said file would not be released to the new folder.

Instead, the file's icon stayed glued to my mouse pointer, with a little green plus sign showing.

And the only way to get the damned thing un-glued was to unplug the keyboard.

Even worse, now this problem is happening on my current Mac, which is running High Sierra.

I first noticed the problem after transferring those files from the USB stick to the newer Mac.

So now, on my current Mac, I can't drag-and-drop files from one folder to another.

One workaround I've found is that I can mouse over the file I want to drag, and choose "copy" from the drop-down menu, and then go "paste" it into the destination folder.

WTF? Did that USB stick somehow hose my Finder?

It's not currently plugged into either Mac, btw.

The other commonality between the two is that I used the same keyboard and mouse with both of them. Apple USB keyboard and Logitech M100 mouse.

Help me please. Is there some Finder preference file I should be trashing?

Thank you.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
hmmm...

run something like onyx, all maintenance/cleaning routines

try a different mouse, the apple mouse if you still have it

In the finder menu, open preferences, change a couple things, close the window. That may rewrite the finder preferences and fix things, or maybe not. After you do that you may change preferences back to what they were if you want.
Thanks, good advice. I know I paid for Cocktail a long time ago. I wonder if my license might still be current.

I assume Cocktail would be as good as Onyx, yes?
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Bren posted:
Thanks, good advice. I know I paid for Cocktail a long time ago. I wonder if my license might still be current.

I assume Cocktail would be as good as Onyx, yes?

I don't know. Must be similar. Update before running it.

Onyx is free.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Repair permissions?
Ran a bunch of Onyx stuff. No change.

Fixed disk permissions. No change.

Booted from restore partition and ran Disk First Aid. No change.

Tried using wireless Microsoft mouse instead of the Logitech one. No change.

I have no idea where any of my Apple mice might be.

Currently reinstalling El Capitan.

Thank you for your continued support.
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
Have you moved your mouse's USB dongle to a different USB port?
ukimalefu Wasn't me
obvs posted:
Have you moved your mouse's USB dongle to a different USB port?

yeah, and try plugging the dongle in the computer instead of the keyboard or an USB hub .

A different mouse didn't solve the problem? hmmm, weird

It could be a software problem. But try a wired mouse anyway if you can.

-

have you restarted?

reset the pram?

-

maybe the reinstall will fix things

-

fingers crossed
My Logitech is a wired mouse. I'm saying just now, I also tried a wireless Microsoft mouse.

But yeah, once this reinstall is done, I'll try plugging the wired mouse right into the computer, and not have it going through the keyboard.
OS reinstall did not fix problem. Nor did plugging mouse directly into computer. Nor did using a different USB port.

Strangely enough, I've discovered that if I press really hard on the mouse's scroll wheel, that forces the pointer to "let go" of the item being dragged, and to therefore drop it.

But the Finder is still not behaving right, because even something as simple as selecting a file using the mouse pointer is not working. Like, I have to keep repeatedly clicking on the damned thing.

Sheesh. I hope it's not a bad logic board or something.

I guess I could try erasing the hard drive and reinstalling MacOS again.

Maybe I'll try get...

Aw heck, I was gonna say maybe I'll try getting a new keyboard and mouse from Radio Shack and trying that, but then I remembered the Radio Shack near my home is gone and whatever ones remain are just cell phone stores.

Why can't anything be simple?
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Bren posted:

Strangely enough, I've discovered that if I press really hard on the mouse's scroll wheel, that forces the pointer to "let go" of the item being dragged, and to therefore drop it.

huh? that makes it sound again like a hardware problem of that mouse... but a different mouse didn't fix the problem?

weird, I'm not sure what to say anymore.

I'll ask again, do you have the mouse that came with that computer?

oh, by the way, just to try, go to the mouse preference panel in system preferences and change a couple settings to rewrite it's preferences. Will that help? I'm not sure, but it would not hurt.

OH, this IS important. Make sure you have ONLY ONE mouse connected to the computer, at least while trying to fix the problem. This includes unplugging any dongle from a wireless mouse if you're not using it.
It's a Mac Mini, so no mouse came with the computer.

And yeah, only one mouse/dongle connected at a time.

Given the OS had been reinstalled, one would assume any mouse preferences associated with the preference pane have been replaced, yes?

Might there be .plist files or some crap that somehow survived and should be purged?
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Bren posted:

Given the OS had been reinstalled, one would assume any mouse preferences associated with the preference pane have been replaced, yes?

I'm not 100% sure but I think: Only in a clean install. If you simply reinstall on top of what you had it'll be like an update and some crap may be left behind.

Quote:
Might there be .plist files or some crap that somehow survived and should be purged?

Maybe. But the problem could also be something else.

-

You said onyx did not fix it... I believe the most recent version of onyx is different, but the one I have has an option to check for corrupt preference files, so maybe look around onyx to see if you have that.
Before you nuke and reinstall create a second user account and see if the problems persist.
Have you also tried using a cotton swab to clean the spot where the laser is, under the mouse?
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Betonhaus posted:
Before you nuke and reinstall create a second user account and see if the problems persist.

good idea
Clean the mouse pad.
OK, crap, the behavior is re-occurring in my newer iMac again. So I guess that does point to a problem with my mouse or keyboard.

But then why was this happening with my wireless mouse also?

Dag nabbit.
You know what? Maybe I never did actually unplug the wired keyboard and mouse from the Mac Mini before testing the wireless mouse. 'Cause unplugging my wired mouse from my wired keyboard, and only using the wireless mouse, on my iMac, caused the problem to go away.
Problem solved! I just booted up the Mac Mini with no input device connected to it, then connected the wireless mouse dongle, and drag-and-drop worked perfectly fine.

Thanks everybody for your excellent advice, as always!

Now then, next question:

I'm giving this Mac Mini to my dad. It will be his first Mac ever. If he wants to update the OS to High Sierra or whatever that latest ones is called, how does he do so? When I was poking around on that machine, I looked for High Sierra in the App Store, but did not find it.

Also, this Mini has a conventional HDD, which seems so anachronistic nowadays. It's a late 2014 Mini, so I assume even a computer shop would have a hard time replacing the internal hard drive.

If my dad wanted to install MacOS on an external Thunderbolt SSD drive and use that as the boot drive, would that work, and would Thunderbolt be fast enough that it wouldn't be a bottleneck that would take away the speed benefit of an SSD?

This is probably more trouble than it's worth, as he only needs the Mini to run one specific app, and waiting 25 seconds for an HDD to boot up is likely not a hardship.
user Stupid cockwomble
The App Store will only have the latest OS.
I installed macOS 10.13 High Sierra on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro which is the earliest model of MBP on which High Sierra can be installed, so I am guessing that your Mac mini can install High Sierra too. You can download Mactracker (donation-ware) to make sure.

Use iFixIt to see how difficult a hard drive replacement is.

If you can do it yourself, I can recommend checking Other World Computing for hard drive replacements including SSDs.

If you rather not try to swap the hard drive, take a look at OWC's options for an external enclosure and hard drive.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
I use my mac mini from an external USB hard drive. It works fine for most things. about 30 seconds from pushing the power button to the login screen.

An SSD through thunderbolt would fly.
DEyncourt posted:
I installed macOS 10.13 High Sierra on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro which is the earliest model of MBP on which High Sierra can be installed, so I am guessing that your Mac mini can install High Sierra too. You can download Mactracker (donation-ware) to make sure.

But, if, as user noted, only the latest version of MacOS is available in the app store, how would one get and install a copy of High Sierra?
MacTracker says the Mini will support Mojave. I just hope there's no downside to putting such a new OS on the thing.
Does anybody know of a good Windows-to-Mac switcher's guide book that was published recently?

The only ones I can find on Amazon are ancient. Like, circa Mavericks is the newest one available.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Bren posted:
Does anybody know of a good Windows-to-Mac switcher's guide book that was published recently?

The only ones I can find on Amazon are ancient. Like, circa Mavericks is the newest one available.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Bren posted:
MacTracker says the Mini will support Mojave. I just hope there's no downside to putting such a new OS on the thing.

give it at least 8gb ram to be safe
Bren posted:
DEyncourt posted:

But, if, as user noted, only the latest version of MacOS is available in the app store, how would one get and install a copy of High Sierra?

Crap! My apologies. I meant to say that my MBP has the latest version but of course I am not at my MBP. It does have macOS version 10.14 Mojave.

Since your Mac mini can use Mojave then you can just use the Mac App Store to download it directly from Apple, though you should see if you can increase the RAM yourself via iFixIt, then see if the RAM can be increased at a reasonable price through OWC (I recall that someone asked about RAM for the current model of the Mac mini, but to MAX the RAM for THAT version was like $1400).

To see the max RAM for your Mac mini, check Mactracker. You might find that the max is too expensive, so check with OWC to see the possible RAM options even if you choose not to buy from them.
This particular Mac Mini has 8GB of RAM. Maximum possible is 16GB, but I doubt my father would want to do that just to run one app.

Is Mojave likely to be happy with 8GB?
ukimalefu posted:
Bren posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087

Thanks, but I'm not talking about migrating data. I'm talking about those books various folks used to publish that would orient a Windows user to the Mac environment. You know, like explain to them what the equivalent Mac thing is to whatever Windows thing they're trying to accomplish. Like, here's where you find a control panel for that thing, here's how you do this other thing, etc, etc.
Tbh I'd just install windows on it. It's never fun trying to teach old people how to relearn their computers more than you need to.
It will probably run Mojave just fine.

I would not install Windows on it. Boot Camp drivers aren't as easy to support as just plain old macOS.
Betonhaus, the whole point is that my dad needs this machine in order to run a specific Mac-only app.

And he's very tech savvy.
Bren posted:
Betonhaus, the whole point is that my dad needs this machine in order to run a specific Mac-only app.

And he's very tech savvy.

Just making sure.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:
Tbh I'd just install windows on it. It's never fun trying to teach old people how to relearn their computers more than you need to.

Since Win10 Windows has become an experts only OS what with the endless series of problems and bugs.
Windows and Linux have traded places. Now Linux is easy and Windows is hard.
I have been running Linux Mint for almost 7 years now and in all that time I have not encountered even so much as one show stopping bug.
My father's been a LINUX user pretty much forever. He hates Windows, but I think he keeps it around on his gaming rig because so many games don't have a LINUX port.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Bren posted:
My father's been a LINUX user pretty much forever. He hates Windows, but I think he keeps it around on his gaming rig because so many games don't have a LINUX port.

Games seem to be the only reason Windows stays relevant in the consumer market.
Yeah, my iMac has a 500GB SSD in it, and for years and years, its Boot Camp partition with the copy of Windows 10 I'd been so excited about just sat there unused, 'cause I simply never found much of anything that was a powerful-enough motive to make me reboot into the Windows environment.

When I finally got rid of that partition, I felt so good about all the extra space I suddenly had on my little SSD!
Pariah posted:
Bren posted:

Games seem to be the only reason Windows stays relevant in the consumer market.

That, and it's the only OS that any manufacturer other than Apple can install on their computers and be able to sell it to customers that generally know what to expect.

Bren posted:
Yeah, my iMac has a 500GB SSD in it, and for years and years, its Boot Camp partition with the copy of Windows 10 I'd been so excited about just sat there unused, 'cause I simply never found much of anything that was a powerful-enough motive to make me reboot into the Windows environment.

When I finally got rid of that partition, I felt so good about all the extra space I suddenly had on my little SSD!

Well no human waste. An OS is just a portal to the internet and your data. It's supposed to be invisible. It doesn't mean it's fancy enough to entice you over, but that macOS isn't wasteful enough to push you away.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Drag-and-drop not working

Page: 1, 2