Expecting an amazon delivery? look up!

Online now: Baidu [Spider], DEyncourt
ukimalefu Wasn't me
or don't

Amazon Promised Drone Delivery in Five Years... Five Years Ago

Quote:
On December 1, 2013, Americans watched a segment on 60 Minutes about Amazon’s plans to deliver packages by drone in just “four or five years.” Well, it’s officially been five years. And Amazon’s failure to make drone delivery a reality is a great reminder that PR promises from big tech companies are often not worth very much.

TOS
seems a fairly stupid idea to me, i don't expect to see it happen anytime soon

i do expect to see all-electric delivery trucks in large numbers fairly soon, tho
ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS posted:
seems a fairly stupid idea to me, i don't expect to see it happen anytime soon

i do expect to see all-electric delivery trucks in large numbers fairly soon, tho

All-electric trucks, sure. But what about driverless? I think it's been proposed, if they're not already doing tests. Or maybe I saw it on some tv show? black mirror maybe? a pizza delivery drone car or something.
Donkey Butter jerk face
so the driverless truck pulls up to your house, and then what? someone jumps out to run the package up to your door?

I don't see automated delivery happening anytime soon.

and I'd guess mainstream driverless cars are a good 20 years away.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Donkey Butter posted:
so the driverless truck pulls up to your house, and then what? someone jumps out to run the package up to your door?

I suppose you could get some form of notification on your phone: "delivery is almost there", so you would get out and get your stuff.

But I agree, not any time soon, and not everywhere.
Donkey Butter posted:

I'm guessing aircannon. Fires the package directly at your door.
dv
Actually, a driverless truck that used drones to deliver the last 100 yards to your door would probably work ok.

"Here is your dildo. Returning to mothership."
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Why drone delivery won't work in thousands of neighborhoods. This is my neighborhood.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/1318+ ... 89.0750075
All those big green things? Those are called "trees". In my hood all the trees are over 100 years old and quite large.
My cities motto is "The Forest City".
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
I was on a plane last week, and it flew above the DC suburbs.

The DC suburbs have countless trees.

You see that green thing? That's called a "DC suburb".
TOS
true driverless tech is still many years away

at least in areas that have regular precipitation, especially of the chilly variety
ukimalefu Wasn't me
this thread seems appropiate for this:

Riding a Waymo self-driving taxi

NO, they're not perfect, but I do believe they can be better than humans, now. Computers don't get tired, don't use alcohol, or drugs, computers don't get road rage, computers don't get sick, computers don't get distracted, computers will always respect traffic laws, even when it's annoying. If you drive, you know the scarier thing about it is the other drivers.
Computers don't pay tax or support a family.
dv
Ribtor posted:
Computers don't pay tax or support a family.

Most Amazon delivery drivers don't make enough to do that either.
Postal carriers can make good money.

For those who don't, they'll finally be free to get that better paying job once the robots take over.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:

NO, they're not perfect, but I do believe they can be better than humans, now. Computers don't get tired, don't use alcohol, or drugs, computers don't get road rage, computers don't get sick, computers don't get distracted, computers will always respect traffic laws, even when it's annoying. If you drive, you know the scarier thing about it is the other drivers.

Tell that to the woman who was killed by that self-driving car awhile ago.
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
Because we all know that humans haven't been in any accidents since that day.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:
Because we all know that humans haven't been in any accidents since that day.

Self driving cars are very far along, maybe 98%. The trouble is that last 2% is going to cost more and take longer than the first 98%.
Ask any engineer.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:

I think the video mentions that case.

Self driving cars still have less accidents than human driven cars. DO NOT EVER expect them to be perfect and 100% accident proof.
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:

That's just Uber. They literally disabled a bunch of safety features so that the car would drive smoother when they did the test drive with the CEO (instead of slowing down or braking whenever it is thinking or has a false positive). No excuse for compensating with a separate safety driver though.

"move fast and break things" indeed.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Expecting an amazon delivery? look up!