Microsoft is building its own Chrome browser to replace Edge

Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Quote:
The Verge understands Microsoft will announce its plans for a Chromium browser as soon as this week, in an effort to improve web compatibility for Windows. Windows Central first reported on these plans, which are codenamed Anaheim internally. We understand there has been a growing frustration inside Microsoft at Edge’s web compatibility issues, and businesses and consumers have been pushing the company to improve things.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/4/1812 ... e-chromium
iDaemon infinitely loopy
“Anaheim Azusa Coogamonga!”
https://www.anaheim.net/164/Jack-Bennys-Anaheim

Two of the gaping security seives get together. What could go wrong?
TOS
web compatibility issues? isn't that like a word processor having problems with text?
ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS posted:
web compatibility issues? isn't that like a word processor having problems with text?

Remember when websites used to say "best viewed with internet explorer"? well it seems these days a lot of web developers only care that their websites work fine on chrome.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Technically I think that was IE 6

But why quibble.

I thought mobile Safari has made standards-adherence the “standard”. ?
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
:lol:

Safari's standards-adherence is craptastic, and always has been.
maurvir Outlier
As much as I hated Edge, I am sad to see MS throwing in the towel. It now means that Chrome essentially owns the browser space on every platform except MacOS and iOS. And, as obvs pointed out, Safari sucks ass so hard it should probably come with a warning label.
Which is ironic considering Safari started the whole standards compliant craze.
user Stupid cockwomble
I like Safari. I only use Chrome for dipshit sites like my company HR site that will only work with it.
Donkey Butter jerk face
I only use Safari, and if your webpage doesn't work with it then I ain't going to your webpage.

I've tried FF and opera and chrome and never liked any of them
I hate Chrome. I hate it so, so much.

I also use Safari, but mostly because I like the integration. Synced history and login information across my laptop, iPad, and iPhone is amazing. I know Chrome does similar now, but on iOS Safari is a much nicer choice than Chrome, and I don't trust Google at all.
MS has improved its market value this year. It's neck and neck with Apple.

I think the word "value" is value-less.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
user posted:
I like Safari. I only use Chrome for dipshit sites like my company HR site that will only work with it.

I have never understood the love for Safari, the only browser I have used in the last ten years that was worse was iCab.

And exactly how is MS going to make a Chrome Browser, sure they can fork Chromium but all the fancy bits in Chrome are proprietary.
Yeah, Safari's interface is just bloody awful.

Let's hide the URL!
Let's hide the favicons!
Let's hide the button labels!
Let's put the page refresh button on the opposite side of the screen from all of the other buttons!
Let's center everything, so that the text insertion points where you'd need to click to change text are never at the same locations and you can't use muscle memory!
Let's make it so tabs don't have a standard size so that you always have to move your eyes across the entire window just to read two tabs and so tabs don't have a standard size so you can't use your muscle memory there, either!
Let's hide the menu options in right-click menus(like the ability to copy the text of a link rather than copying the address of a link)!
Let's use nonstandard CSS like Internet Explorer was famous for!

Honestly, Safari is the epitome of terrible browser design, and its GUI elements don't behave the same as they do in other Mac applications.

And Firefox has always relied on XUL, so its GUI elements don't behave the same as they do in other Mac applications, either. And they force there to be a "Tools" menu, when on a proper Mac application all of those items would be under "Window", which is the menu right next to Tools on Firefox, but which is empty on Firefox.

Ironically, Chrome's GUI elements do behave the same as they do in other Mac applications, and they use the proper menus, as Apple has made the standard(although Chrome obviously doesn't do this on other platforms). But as far as standards compliance, Chrome follows web standards better than the others, and they use Apple's GUI elements and menu structure so that their buttons and menus and everything behave and retain all of the functionality that Mac apps' buttons and menus have by default. Firefox at least has consistency between platforms, even though its menus and GUI elements aren't tailored to the platforms themselves.

It's really interesting that Safari in particular is so awful.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Microsoft Edge Is Coming to the Mac?

Quote:
While it’s not clear yet when Microsoft Edge will become available on macOS, early estimates predict that it could arrive sometime in 2019.

I remember when I reluctantly switched from Netscape to Internet Explorer because MacAddict magazine recommended it.
If there's one browser I don't need and don't want, Edge for Mac is it.
obvs posted:

If you do any web development you should at least use it for testing purposes.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Betonhaus posted:
obvs posted:

or you just develop for chrome because marketshare and hide a little "best with chrome" banner in your site if you're nice.
maurvir Outlier
Betonhaus posted:
obvs posted:

Use JS to detect it, then throw up something like "Here's a nickel, kid. Go get yourself a real web browser." :lol:
iDaemon infinitely loopy
All you folks have insight into a complicated subject and I’m enjoying seeing various points-of-view and educational content. Thanks. Job Gruber (Daring Fireball) has posted a few similar essays/reactions/deconstructions I just happened to spend a few minutes perusing just now.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:
Yeah, Safari's interface is just bloody awful.

Let's hide the URL!
Let's hide the favicons!
Let's hide the button labels!
Let's put the page refresh button on the opposite side of the screen from all of the other buttons!
Let's center everything, so that the text insertion points where you'd need to click to change text are never at the same locations and you can't use muscle memory!
Let's make it so tabs don't have a standard size so that you always have to move your eyes across the entire window just to read two tabs and so tabs don't have a standard size so you can't use your muscle memory there, either!
Let's hide the menu options in right-click menus(like the ability to copy the text of a link rather than copying the address of a link)!
Let's use nonstandard CSS like Internet Explorer was famous for!

Honestly, Safari is the epitome of terrible browser design, and its GUI elements don't behave the same as they do in other Mac applications.

And Firefox has always relied on XUL, so its GUI elements don't behave the same as they do in other Mac applications, either. And they force there to be a "Tools" menu, when on a proper Mac application all of those items would be under "Window", which is the menu right next to Tools on Firefox, but which is empty on Firefox.

Ironically, Chrome's GUI elements do behave the same as they do in other Mac applications, and they use the proper menus, as Apple has made the standard(although Chrome obviously doesn't do this on other platforms). But as far as standards compliance, Chrome follows web standards better than the others, and they use Apple's GUI elements and menu structure so that their buttons and menus and everything behave and retain all of the functionality that Mac apps' buttons and menus have by default. Firefox at least has consistency between platforms, even though its menus and GUI elements aren't tailored to the platforms themselves.

It's really interesting that Safari in particular is so awful.

Chrome has gotten a little better.
It finally respects the system theme and also respects the widgets position set by the user. I have my widgets arraigned in the Old Mac way: Close on the left, Min and Max on the right. The old Mac OS is the only OS that got the widgetts positions right, everyone else is wrong except Linux Mint Cinnamon which lets you put them were you want.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Microsoft is building its own Chrome browser to replace Edge