Bendgate 2.0

Online now: ukimalefu
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... everything

Whelp, any of you planning to buy the new iPad should get an otterbox with a metal backplate.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
no, fiddlesticks that to hell, nobody does that

larger things bending easier than smaller things? really dumbass? really? have you heard about leverage?

clickbait worked, they got me, that's why I'm upset. At least I didn't click on the youtube video.

I've seen diamonds crushed to dust and titanium bent. Everything breaks.

But do let me know when they make devices out of adamantium and transparent aluminum. And some idiot will find a way to break those too.
Apple suxxorz. A guy on the internet proved it.
maurvir Outlier
I really hate videos like that. I mean, I know he gets enough money from his channel to buy them and destroy them, but seeing a perfectly good device destroyed just doesn't set well with me. :mad:

That, and what kind of dumb mother lover runs around with a device that costs that much, and is that fragile, without some sort of protective cover?
maurvir posted:
but seeing a perfectly good device destroyed just doesn't set well with me. :mad:

It's useful function, in that instance, was to be destroyed. It served its intended purpose. Different people place different value on things. That website may have gotten tremendous value out of it.

I consider those types of items as having no value, or even negative value if owning one creates other expenses. But that's me.

Its real purpose and value was to be manufactured and sold. After that it's landfill-in-waiting. And in the case of that website; sooner rather than later.
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
maurvir posted:
I really hate videos like that. I mean, I know he gets enough money from his channel to buy them and destroy them, but seeing a perfectly good device destroyed just doesn't set well with me. :mad:

That, and what kind of dumb mother lover runs around with a device that costs that much, and is that fragile, without some sort of protective cover?
Causing damage for the specific purpose of preventing a greater amount of damage can be seen as justified.
maurvir Outlier
Yeah, I know, but it still cheeses me off. At least it wasn't the entirely wanton destruction of those jackwagons that stood in line to buy electronics only to curb stomp them in front of people who didn't get one.
maurvir posted:

1. It's his money. It's not like he bought a slave or sentient Android only to toss it into a mountain.
2. Last I checked many people don't use cases - and Apple literally makes the design and thinness a major marketing point, so it would be such a shame to put it in a case.
3. Already there are multiple reports of people accidently bending their so easily, which is what this video warns users and potential buyers of.
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
maurvir posted:
Yeah, I know, but it still cheeses me off. At least it wasn't the entirely wanton destruction of those jackwagons that stood in line to buy electronics only to curb stomp them in front of people who didn't get one.
Just imagine how many Apple must destroy during testing.
dv
obvs posted:
maurvir posted:
Just imagine how many Apple must destroy during testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U
Donkey Butter jerk face
so let me get this straight, If you try to break something it will break. Wow what a revelation.

Note to self: don't bend iPad in half.
Donkey Butter posted:
so let me get this straight, If you try to break something it will break. Wow what a revelation.

Which means don't ever put it in a backpack or do about a couple other things you'd often do to other decides without issues
Donkey Butter jerk face
Like “bendgate 1.0” I’m sure the issue is over blown and only 1’s and 2’s of people will be impacted by this. But of course it will serve its purpose as click bait and all the anti-apple folks can one again say how much apple sux! Same old song and dance.
And yet Apple did actually end up putting a reinforcement plate in iirc
dv
Betonhaus posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

Which means don't ever put it in a backpack or do about a couple other things you'd often do to other decides without issues

Don't be fatuous, Jeffrey.
Betonhaus posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

Two weeks of backpack rides in, including one where that backpack was stuffed to capacity and jammed under the seat in front of me for a 14 hour flight, I haven't had any problems at all. I'll let you guys know if that changes.
maurvir posted:

Why would I buy a wonderfully designed, slim, light device just to put some bulky, ugly case on it? The iPad Air I replaced had the scratch-proof film applied to the back, and one of those tempered glass fronts. I also used a Smart Cover (not case) for the first couple of years, though for the last two years I've gone without that. Never a problem.

On the new iPad Pro I just picked up, I again went with the scratch proof film for the back and sides. I'm trying it on the front, but I'm not yet sure whether I like it or will ultimately change to glass. No covers or cases of any kind planned.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Bendgate 2.0