Google Sheets Question

Online now: Google [Bot], Yori
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
Question time . . .

I need to collect student information from a bunch of different band & choir directors. Google sheets is perfect for that. Simple, effective, and easy to enter/read info.

The problem? I have 66 people who need to enter information, and if I share it between them all the data they enter won't be private.

Enter Google Forms: I can send a "quiz" for them to fill out, and it will enter the info just like I want it into a Google sheet, but it's clunky and ugly, and you have to submit the information over and over . . .

Does anyone know if there is a way to send each person a mini-spreadsheet where they can fill out the necessary information, send it back, and have it populate my main spreadsheet, or do I have to do this the hard way? (Internet searches have not helped me.)

Thanks!
dv
This is what Google Forms is for. What do you mean you have to "submit the information over and over?" You are sending them all the same survey, right?
dv posted:
This is what Google Forms is for. What do you mean you have to "submit the information over and over?" You are sending them all the same survey, right?

It's not really a survey, I need student information (names, addresses, phone numbers) for an unlimited number of students.

If it's in a spreadsheet format people can see the header and just fill in the information as needed, as many times as they'd like.

If it's in a Google form people can insert information for one student, one item after another, in what really is a pretty cludgy format, submit it, then start over for another student.

I've been gathering this information for 16 years now (for an honors group) and my experience has been if it's in a spreadsheet format people will fill it out and return it immediately (and nominate more kids), if it's in a "fill out a bunch of questions" format (even on one page) people won't do it at all.
Maybe a real example is a better way to show you what I mean. Give me 5 minutes . . .
Okay, so here is (kind of) what I need. My experience is that if the nomination form is presented in this manner people are more likely to respond (and to respond with more nominations).

Here is what google forms gives me. Same thing, but when I've done this in the past people either don't nominate as many students or don't respond at all.
dv
Ah.

I would create one spreadsheet per director, share them with the intended person individually, then copy paste when you get the responses. It's clunky but should be pretty quick within the abilities of Google's tools, and will keep data private.
That was plan B. I was hoping there was an easier way.

Thanks.
Couldn't you make a spreadsheet template that has all the info you want, make copies for and share with each director so they can fill their own, then have a master spreadsheet that dynamically pulls everything from the various spreadsheets? I think there should be a way but then you are getting into database territory and I don't know off the top of my head how Google Docs handles that.
The spreadsheet part is easy. Dynamically pulling the info is what I don’t know how to do.

I was really hoping to be able to email out one link and magically do this, but it’s never that easy.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Google Sheets Question