Tesla's autopilot front and center again in crash

Online now: Google [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

Quote:
A Tesla Model S reportedly on “Autopilot” smashed into the back of a fire truck parked at a freeway accident scene Monday morning, authorities said.

Two investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board are expected to arrive in Los Angeles on Wednesday to probe the crash, and will focus on “the driver’s actions and how the vehicle performed,” Bloomberg reported Jan. 23.

The union representing Culver City firefighters whose truck was hit around 8:30 a.m. on Interstate 405 in Culver City tweeted that the Tesla driver said he had been using Tesla’s Autopilot system, which performs automated driving tasks.

The California Highway Patrol and Culver City Fire Department confirmed the southbound Tesla had struck the fire truck, but could not immediately confirm whether the vehicle had been on Autopilot.

I'm having a hard time imagining how the car could have missed a fire truck, but I suppose we will find out once the NTSB is done. Either way, chalk one more wreck up to drivers failing to understand that these are assistive tools, not L5 self-driving systems.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
and again, you're supposed to pain attention, Tesla tells you this

But I guess people hear "autopilot" and decide to have car sex while in traffic. That's a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised somebody tried it.
dv
ukimalefu posted:

But I guess people hear "autopilot" and decide to have car sex while in traffic. That's a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised somebody tried it.

People were doing that long before autopilot.
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

People were doing that long before autopilot.

i know, but now they can do more, in the back seat
A self driving chevy crashed too

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/23/1692 ... sh-lawsuit

It's all a conspiracy against self-driving cars Image Image

Fully autonomous vehicles are not yet legal anywhere, people are supposed to pay attention, I'd say the person supposed to be driving is at fault.
ukimalefu posted:
A self driving chevy crashed too

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/23/1692 ... sh-lawsuit

It's all a conspiracy against self-driving cars Image Image

Fully autonomous vehicles are not yet legal anywhere, people are supposed to pay attention, I'd say the person supposed to be driving is at fault.

In that case, the motorcyclist was at fault, not the car. You always wait until the car in front of you has completed their merge before attempting to pass. I have seen plenty of near-misses where someone assumed the person in front of them was done merging, only to have them pop back into their original lane for some reason.

There is a great example of that on my commute. Some jackass built an "off ramp" for a fast food plaza on the side of the road that looks just like the real off ramp to the main highway just beyond it. I can't begin to count the number of people who started to merge over to turn only to realize they were about to take the wrong ramp.
people are stupid. autopilot is like an enhanced cruise control in that it'll keep you on the road where cruise control you have to adjust the steering to keep on road. it is the persons fault entirely for being stupid and not knowing what autopilot meant. good god they aren't a commercial airline pilot watching as autopilot keeps them going trim straight into a mountains surface expecting something else to happen when they smash into the surface of siad mountain and blame the plane manufacturer.
dv
Aaron_R posted:
good god they aren't a commercial airline pilot watching as autopilot keeps them going trim straight into a mountains surface expecting something else to happen when they smash into the surface of siad mountain and blame the plane manufacturer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAg-WauGrLU

Too bad we can't embed youtube.
dv posted:
Aaron_R posted:
good god they aren't a commercial airline pilot watching as autopilot keeps them going trim straight into a mountains surface expecting something else to happen when they smash into the surface of siad mountain and blame the plane manufacturer.

when was that? the 70s?
dv
ukimalefu posted:
dv posted:
Aaron_R posted:

when was that? the 70s?

'88

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_296
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Aaron_R posted:
people are stupid. autopilot is like an enhanced cruise control in that it'll keep you on the road where cruise control you have to adjust the steering to keep on road. it is the persons fault entirely for being stupid and not knowing what autopilot meant. good god they aren't a commercial airline pilot watching as autopilot keeps them going trim straight into a mountains surface expecting something else to happen when they smash into the surface of siad mountain and blame the plane manufacturer.

Yes, people are predictively stupid, which is why every other auto maker besides Tesla is very cautious about what they name their assistance technologies and built in systems to demand the driver stay attentive.
Tesla did none of that.
TOS
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:
dv posted:
Aaron_R posted:

when was that? the 70s?

'88

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_296

i remember that
"Tesla updates Autopilot to nag users to hold the wheel more often".

Here is a video showing it in action, although I think this does NOT show (in part because you can see only a Tesla's onboard data screen) the sequence given in a comment in reply to the article:
Quote:
The nag sequence goes like this:
1. Text warning on the screen to grab the wheel
2. Gauge cluster starts to flash
3. Gauge cluster flashes even faster
4. Car mutes the stereo and starts beeping loudly (driver receives 1 strike)
5. On 3 strikes, Autopilot gets disabled for the rest of the drive and it will turn on hazard flashes and bring car to a stop

BTW: that number in the title of video--"2018.21.9"--is Tesla's version number for Autopilot.
user Stupid cockwomble
Electrics shocks would also work.
TOS
tesla's going to collapse any day now
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:

They will be bought by one of the big boys. Or, maybe by Apple?
The Tesla aesthetic and Apple's are similar.
TOS
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

i doubt anyone will want to buy tesla ... it's saddled with a ton of debt, much of it in the form of very messy financial instruments

plus every automaker on earth has major ev programs in motion, so tesla is about to face massive competition

finally their inability to mass produce vehicles really hurts their value

no, if they collapse they'll just collapse

i'd say the only thing they have of value is their "gigafactory" but that assumes they're not being shifty with the finances
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

i doubt anyone will want to buy tesla ... it's saddled with a ton of debt, much of it in the form of very messy financial instruments

plus every automaker on earth has major ev programs in motion, so tesla is about to face massive competition

finally their inability to mass produce vehicles really hurts their value

no, if they collapse they'll just collapse

i'd say the only thing they have of value is their "gigafactory" but that assumes they're not being shifty with the finances

When the current tech bubble pops it's going to make the tech bust of 2000 look like nothing.
Someone will buy them but not until the bankruptcy crashes their stock prices pennies on the dollar for the buyout
DEyncourt posted:

You know who else isn't amused by this government over-regulation?

DEyncourt posted:

Not fully autonomous car tells you to keep hands on the wheel and pay attention

human: but I don't wanna! it's called autopilot! :whaa:

and when people get killed, everybody blames tesla

:facepalm:

Self driving cars don't kill people, people kill people. I'm not sorry about writing that.
ukimalefu posted:
DEyncourt posted:

Self driving cars don't kill people, people kill people. I'm not sorry about writing that.

I agree with you; but mainly because I hate the idea of self driving cars.
avkills posted:
ukimalefu posted:
DEyncourt posted:

I love the idea of self driving cars, as long as it's an option and not self driving only.
ukimalefu posted:
avkills posted:
ukimalefu posted:
DEyncourt posted:

I love the idea of self driving cars, as long as it's an option and not self driving only.

Tech isn't quite there yet; but close.
I would like to see a study of the number of accidents per 1000 miles driven comparing regular cars and self driving or semi autonomous cars. I suspect that there are thousands of similar accidents daily and that human driven cars still have more accidents, when assessed on a per mile driven basis.
dv
Warin posted:
I would like to see a study of the number of accidents per 1000 miles driven comparing regular cars and self driving or semi autonomous cars. I suspect that there are thousands of similar accidents daily and that human driven cars still have more accidents, when assessed on a per mile driven basis.

Oh, absolutely - but in those cases, we know who to hold responsible. :squint:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Tesla's autopilot front and center again in crash