Do you use pixelation or blurring software to obscure stuff?

Online now: No visible users
Especailly in JPEGs?

Researchers find that standard pixelation methods applied to JPEGs can have faces and text reliably identified by machine learning systems.
Quote:
the algorithm had 71% accuracy (or 83% if allowed to guess five times). The algorithm doesn’t produce a deblurred image—it simply identifies what it sees in the obscured photo, based on information it already knows.

Companies like YouTube that recommend blurring should make it clear that their privacy measures only protect information from humans, not machines or determined adversaries, say McPherson and Shmatikov.

[bold added]

Better break out those wide black markers (or their Photoshop equivalents).
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Quote:
The algorithm doesn’t produce a deblurred image—it simply identifies what it sees in the obscured photo, based on information it already knows.

Vulture 420
You mean all those times I pixelated my penis, it didn't do anything?!!!
sean Royal Wombat
Vulture posted:

Can you pixelate a single pixel?
obvs not a cultural imperialist
Well great. Remember just a few years ago when computers couldn't use semantics?
dv
So it guesses what was in the blurred area based on context. Neat.

theedgeofoblivious posted:
Well great. Remember just a few years ago when computers couldn't use semantics?

Yeah. In terms of social graces, this puts computers ahead of several people I know.
Step 1 in TV cops' "zoom in and enhance" tech becoming reality?
Crisis in Japan.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
sean posted:
Vulture posted:

Can you pixelate a single pixel?

juice Inadvertently correct
Ribtor posted:
Crisis in Japan.

dv
dv posted:
So it guesses what was in the blurred area based on context. Neat.

theedgeofoblivious posted:

Yeah. In terms of social graces, this puts computers ahead of several people I know.

Its not guessing. It shares nothing, has no social network, no culture, or world it is immersed within and moves about to adapt towards and cope with. These are the ways meaning gets embedded with the abstracted representations creatures create and use to communicate with. So whats going on has nothing to do with that. Its simply a good example of a well designed tool that is able to perform mindless tasks and give back results useful to the people who wanted to obtain them.
user Stupid cockwomble
much like a penis
Vulture 420
Who knew one pixel could do so much.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Do you use pixelation or blurring software to obscure stuff?