protip: don't get the cheap brake pads

Online now: No visible users
TOS
i did the pads and rotors on my honda element around 10 months ago, and after well under 10,000km they're needing replacing again

turns out going up to the desk and asking for the cheapest set they have in stock isn't necessarily the wisest policy
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I bet your wheels are black with brake dust, too.
dv
Hmm...

I should probably check mine then. I did pads and rotors in March, (which was about 10k miles ago. Yay commuting!) and the pedal has seemed a bit loose the last month or so.

What pads did you get? (So I can avoid them.)
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:

i haven't looked yet, just going by the sound

dv posted:
Hmm...

I should probably check mine then. I did pads and rotors in March, (which was about 10k miles ago. Yay commuting!) and the pedal has seemed a bit loose the last month or so.

don't recall ... but the price point was rock-bottom, around $20 per pair or something (versus close to $100 oem)
ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

dv posted:
Hmm...

don't recall ... but the price point was rock-bottom, around $20 per pair or something (versus close to $100 oem)

Dude, unless you're absolutely flat out broke, don't do that. It's the brakes! you want the car to stop when you need it to.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

dv posted:
Hmm...

Dude, unless you're absolutely flat out broke, don't do that. It's the brakes! you want the car to stop when you need it to.

dude, guess what, i was absolutely flat-ass broke at the time
TOS
..... and dukey called it, brake dust aplenty
If you have auto zone go there, lifetime warranty.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
protip: make sure to get the anti squeal compound too
TOS
trying to decide whether it's worth replacing the wheel hubs too (or whichever one(s) currently squeak)

in terms of cash this car is worth pretty much bubkis, but it's still running great and shows no signs of giving up
jkahless Custom Title
A liberal application of grease ought to help with the noise until you get new pads.
You're suppose to always ask for the Callahan brand. :lol: (sry just got done watching that movie so I had to post that)
user Stupid cockwomble
jkahless posted:
A liberal application of grease ought to help with the noise until you get new pads.

protip: the grease goes on the other side

:P
Orion Mad Cow
I'll save up money to get the good pads and rotors if I'm flat broke. Brakes and tires are things I never, ever, ever, ever cheap out on. They can literally mean the difference between life and death.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Orion posted:
I'll save up money to get the good pads and rotors if I'm flat broke. Brakes and tires are things I never, ever, ever, ever cheap out on. They can literally mean the difference between life and death.

:nod:
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Protip: Don't skimp on things that make you and other drivers more safe.
TOS
i haven't even mentioned the sticky accellerator
Conner Of Gallifrey
Your car sounds like a death trap.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Might be time to start taking transit
TOS
i was kidding! it's a honda, not a toyota
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

protip: don't get the cheap brake pads