new mac pro for preorders December 10th

Online now: Google [Bot]
https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/08/the-n ... cember-10/

Anyone going to plunk down $999 for that aluminum stand?

Last edited by Betonhaus on Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:02 pm.

The pricing will determine if I get another hackintosh or not. My guess is that I will get another hackintosh.
jkahless Custom Title
I'm not a professional, I don't need a professional grade workstation, so no, I think I'll stick with consumer gear.
I suspect many professionals will have their work cut out for them justifying the purchase when Apple is charging so much for the stand. Because of that, the entire product may be met with suspicion of being overpriced for what you get.
dv
Betonhaus posted:
I suspect many professionals will have their work cut out for them justifying the purchase when Apple is charging so much for the stand. Because of that, the entire product may be met with suspicion of being overpriced for what you get.

No. They'll just laugh, order two monitors, and mount them on the dual-display swivel arm mounts they already have.

The $999 stand is trolling.
You still have to pay a few hundred for the vesa adapters.
The wheels cost $400 for a set. That's about the same as decent car tires.
Looks like you can buy all the extras separately, will wait to see if hackintoshers get the afterburner card to work or not. Those GPUs are not cheap. Here's hoping for nVidia Catalina web drivers.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I could buy 2 Honda CR-Vs with what a loaded Mac Pro will cost. You can by house in some states for the price!
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I think this is one reason why Apple has never tried very hard to stop casual Hackintoshing. They know their pricing is absurd for most folks.
maurvir posted:
I think this is one reason why Apple has never tried very hard to stop casual Hackintoshing. They know their pricing is absurd for most folks.

Apple should make it easy; basically letting people do it but not offering support. If you want to buy components and try to get them to work with OS X, go for it. Hell I would even be willing to shell out $100 for the OS, but then Apple should come up with their own list of hardware that is supported out of the box.

I do not think nVidia will ever update the WEB drivers; word on the street is that CUDA updates are no longer going to be released for OS X either.
I am probably going to get a 12-core one; but it is going to take me while to save up for it; I will just use the basic GPU until I can afford something better later. I really hope AMD releases the same radeon single and duo cards for PCs, they do have something similar, but not exact. Just minus the extra PCI stuff and put normal 6/8 pin power on it.

I new hackintosh is still possible, but lack of nVidia support is putting a real hamper on that idea.

I might see if my company wants to go 50/50 on it, with me owning it pretty much. I've used my personal computer before for work, so I could probably justify if I decide to start charging the company money every time I use my own kit for something.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Apple has pretty much nixed working with Nvidia, so no, I wouldn't anticipate seeing support for their cards anytime in the near future. As far as Apple is concerned, you should only be using "genuine" Apple-produced Macs anyway, so there is no reason to work with a company that they don't source parts from.

The good news is that AMD's Radeon cards are every bit as good these days, so you aren't really losing that much aside from CUDA. Which is unfortunate, because OpenCL isn't an adequate replacement for that.
Looks like I might be able to swing a 16 core MacPro after Christmas. Doing lots of research, but research is still fairly scarce on these.

CUDA isn’t a deal breaker for me.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

new mac pro for preorders December 10th