Pariah's Perpetual Linux Thread.

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26
Online now: juice, ukimalefu
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ScifiterX wrote:
Pariah wrote:
"Office" software has always been kind of a mystery to me. If I have stringent layout needs I just use a page layout program. This is an area I know nothing about.

This is an area where it makes more difference to a student or office worker. The difference is especially great if you need spreadsheet or database (OO.o & LO's DBs completely suck at this point). For word processing, it's more just bells and whistles.

I will take your word for it because that is a whole area I have never ventured into.

Be that as it may be, big league games coming to Linux is a big deal :D
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Looks like Mint is replacing it's Software Center software in 14, thank God for that. The current one is human waste.
I just use synaptic now.
Oh, thank fracking god.
Pariah wrote:
Looks like Mint is replacing it's Software Center software in 14, thank God for that. The current one is human waste.
I just use synaptic now.

I just install Ubuntus.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Oath wrote:
Pariah wrote:
I just use synaptic now.

I just install Ubuntus.

The Ubuntu version is better but still pretty awful.
Damn right it's better; it actually works. I'll still check Synaptic out however.
blurt mundus vult decipi
I've been looking at Linux on Android. I haven't installed it yet, but it looks promising, like fink is to OS X. I don't really need it because I already have a Linux machine.
The fundamental difference IMO is with Linux on Android one is adding removed Linux functionality to a Linux operating system where Fink (and MacPorts for that matter) adds Linux functionality to a Unix operating system.
blurt mundus vult decipi
I would say "expected" Linux functionality rather than removed. You have expectations based on the behavior of distros you know.

Fink adds functionality, but not specifically Linux functionality. Linux functionality would require a new kernel. :P

Last edited by blurt on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:36 pm.

I hate to point this out but OS X has many of the items you have listed. Sure X11 is less capable and relegated to a secondary windowing system that runs as an app but it has it. The web archive of the various man pages fond within OS X can be found here. One could even argue that with 10.6.6/10.7 they added a (human waste poor) package manager. That said it doesn't have a real repository like you say.
blurt mundus vult decipi
Sorry to change that all up on you. I should have edited before I posted. Your post is correct, but I realized the errors you pointed out before you got your post up.
Yeah and maybe you are right about the term functionality. I might argue that some of the basic core functionality is there but the extended functionality is not provided by Apple. In part, some of that is built into OS X due to it's hybrid origins. In part, some of that is built into OS X due to the influences Linux and Unix have had on each other. It does lack native repositories however. Fink, Macports, & GIT were ported to make for that.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ScifiterX wrote:
Damn right it's better; it actually works. I'll still check Synaptic out however.

Well, the Mint app works too, you just need to ignore the progress bar sticking at 16%.
But you can't go wrong with synaptic, it's an old school tool which works quite well. It's just not very pretty or entertaining.
I tryed that Fink thing a long time ago on a Mac and I hated the way it made such a messy install, too many root level folders making things untidy.
obvs precoupado
There are normally several invisible items at the root level of the hard drive.

Fink only adds a /sw/ folder. If you don't like it you could make it invisible with a terminal command.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
This is interesting. Better drivers :)
Quote:
The developer described their meeting as "the most successful work trip I've ever had". For example, he said that Intel helped the game developers find some performance bugs in their engine's vertex buffer management, and that fixing these bugs will also benefit non-Intel GPUs. Romanick added that, in the Intel driver, the teams found problems that can cause increased CPU loads. Being able to access the source code of Valve's game engine made their work a lot easier, he explained, because it gave them a simple way of analysing the drivers' behaviour in different game scenarios. According to Romanick, adapting games to proprietary drivers (on all platforms) is much more complicated: they are like a blackbox, he said, adding that developers "have to play guess-and-check games" to optimise their code.

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ ... 49632.html
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I just discovered an really neat little application, gLable. It allows you to easily layout labels and things like business cards for off the self blanks like Avery's.
It is said to have a good library of templates. A nifty little one trick pony.
Nothing wrong with one trick ponies if they do their trick particularly well.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
After some initial odd behavior things seem nice and stable. I think Mint14 is one of those releases that does not settle down until you reboot twice.
Efficiency is definitely better. The system stuff uses about 20% less, mostly because of Cinnamon getting a proper decruft and polish. Something has changed so that the cpu load when I am running Netflix is way down, like from almost pegged to about 60%. Less fan noise!
The new combined expose and desktops view is very nice. Virtual desktops in Mint are super easy to use and convenient. I like the default behaviour but this is configurable.
The provided desktop pictures are gorgeous.
There are many more monitor resolutions available and I was delighted to see that the list now included the odd resolution I like. It feels like something good happened to the Intel graphics driver with this release.
You can skin your login window from a selection of over 2000 themes now if thats your thing.
Every default icon set has nice looking icons for the panel and menu but all of them have terribly ugly folder icons, seriously bad. I will be adding icons sets.
Overall a nice boring release with lots of cleaning and polishing to existing features while adding just a few really nice new ones.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
If you have a Pentium M cpu you may be screwed if you want to keep using an Ubuntu based distro. Some Pentium Ms do not support PAE which is required for Ubuntu 12.10 and anything based on it like Mint14.
Quote:
The Pentium Ms mostly from 2003 and 2004 ("Banias") don't support PAE, but Pentium Ms mostly from 2004 and 2005 ("Dothan") do.

Kind of a dirty trick by Intel. The M is the only chip they shipped since 1995 which does not have PAE and then only some of them for extra confusion.
blurt mundus vult decipi
If it were Apple's OS, they would write a software PAE emulator.
dv
blurt wrote:

No, they'd just drop support for anything without a Core 2 in it.

Oh... Wait.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
blurt wrote:

There is a fairly straight forward way to add PAE extensions to the Ubuntu kernel if you are into kernel hacking.
dv wrote:
blurt wrote:

Oh... Wait.

Truth is, they'd probably do both. The trouble is they are as likely to drop support for older technologies anything before or when writing the software PAE emulator as not.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ScifiterX wrote:
dv wrote:
blurt wrote:

Oh... Wait.

Truth is, they'd probably do both. The trouble is they are as likely to drop support for older technologies anything before or when writing the software PAE emulator as not.

The rational behind dropping PAE support is that very, very few systems don't have it. Only certain Pentium M cpus.
dv
Canonical gets Darksided.

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do

Anybody know a small server distro similar to Ubuntu Server I can use? (I set up a couple VMs a month for testing/learning/classwork purposes.)
Pariah Know Your Enemy
dv wrote:
Canonical gets Darksided.

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do

Anybody know a small server distro similar to Ubuntu Server I can use? (I set up a couple VMs a month for testing/learning/classwork purposes.)

Debian? :der:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Fuckin'A, got home today and there are no updates waiting! :)
I know I know I was just ragging on his quip. Apple often adds off the wall BS with questionable usefulnesss but usually only with OS upgrades which drop support for old hardware.

Debian if headless, otherwise Mint-Debian.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I have mixed feelings about Canonical. I don't like the direction they are taking Ubuntu so I don't use it, but I use an OS based on Ubuntu that I like very much.
Clearly the Ubuntu guys are doing lots of things right otherwise Mint would be based on something else.
So I don't want Ubuntu to fail. I don't want to use it but I am glad lots of people do.
That being said I don't think Mint is completely dependent on Ubuntu being available. I am sure that at least part of the reason Mint has it's Debian Edition is to maintain a viable bailout path.
I think it's merely a contributing factor. I would not blame them if it were.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Add the Noobslab PPA for easy access to a bunch of themes and icon packs. Lots more convenient than copy pasting code into terminal.
After you add it just fire up synaptic and click origin then select the noobslab item and you get a nice list of their offerings.
They have several themes and icon packs I like quite a bit, recommended.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/themes

Tat is the first time I have ever used the code tags. What's happening to me!! :eek:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Nice little overview of the Mint15 road map.
Quote:
Linux Mint 15 is expected to ship with Cinnamon 1.8 which will include new features like:

Desktlets (desktop widgets). Three such desklets should be available by available by default: System Monitor, Picture video & slideshow frame and Terminal
Cinnamon Settings: ability to browse, install, remove and update Cinnamon themes, applets, extensions and desklets remotely
Bumpmaps support (defines transparent textures which look like sculpted glass - see screenshot above)
A Control Center that integrates both Cinnamon and GNOME settings into one tool
Rethink Cinnamon 2D: fallback to a non-shadow CPU-less intensive session in software rendering mode. Muffin or OpenBox will be used.
Configurable color schemes for themes
Calendar events similar to KDE's implementation
New/improved applets: upgrade Menu applet with mintMenu features, new email notifier and pulse-like RSS reader applets

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/what-to- ... nt-15.html
Looks like a sweet upgrade if they accomplish all of that. The rate Cinnamon is being developed at is amazing. This time last year it wasn't much more than a proof of concept. Now it is already starting to feel mature. It's an exciting little project.
user Stupid cockwomble
Do any of you have a link to a good distro of Mint? Nothing experimental, just an iso that I can burn to CD. I tried to DL one but it failed to install. I'd like to replace my Ubuntu partition.
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Few dozen mirrors and a torrent link to each of the official 32 & 64 bit Nadia versions including Cinnamon & Mate W/ or W/O codecs.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php
if you want Mint Debian.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I find the torrent is the fastest download. The Mint guys gave up trying to shoehorn Mint onto a CD. Even the no multimedia versions are too big for a CD and require you burn to DVD or thumb drive.
I like Cinnamon and I wouldn't call it experimental anymore. MATE is very mature and good for anyone who is attached to Gnome2. The only flavor that is considered kinda unstable is the Debian addition.
user Stupid cockwomble
Thanks, guys....however, it looks like that one (Cinnamon) has a problem with my lappy. It just won't install. I had to go back to Ubu. I like it ok, but I still need to be able to enable Java for full functionality (otherwise, I have to boot into windows). Also, I liked the OSX look on the screenshots that I've seen.
user wrote:
Thanks, guys....however, it looks like that one (Cinnamon) has a problem with my lappy. It just won't install. I had to go back to Ubu. I like it ok, but I still need to be able to enable Java for full functionality (otherwise, I have to boot into windows). Also, I liked the OSX look on the screenshots that I've seen.

Huh. That seems odd. What error does it give? Did you try MATE version?
user Stupid cockwomble
I burned up three dvds, so I haven't tried anything else. When I tried to boot from the DVD I got a bad kernel error. When I tried to install from windows anyway (yeah, stupid), it exited with Permissions Denied.

My VAIO was pretty picky when I tried to install OSX, so I'm suspecting my chipset.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Do you have a Pentium M mobile cpu in that laptop? Some of those lack PAE which is required for both Mint14 and Ubuntu 12.10.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Pariah's Perpetual Linux Thread.

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26