Pariah's Perpetual Linux Thread.

Page: 1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
Online now: Google [Bot], Jonesy, Lombo, Majestic-12 [Bot]
Yori Program
Yeah, the upgrade from 19.1 to 19.2 went quickly and smoothly for me as well. Runs very nicely on my T430. :)

Pariah Know Your Enemy
I always liked the gummy looking widgets. :) I think this theme will do for awhile.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
I do like the new media player, Xplayer in Mint. It is a nice bare-bones player that does not get in the way and has the useful feature of having Hue, contrast, saturation, brightness and contrast controls readily accessible in preferences presented in a nice, polished GUI..
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Something is definitely better in Mint 19. On 18.3 my ram usage would frequently exceed 8 or 9GB, occasionally even more if I was spending an extended time browsing demanding sites like Reddit. But since I upgraded I have not seen my ram used exceed 4.5GB.
Lombo Opiofiend
Unused ram is wasted ram. IHMO
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Lombo posted:

I don't disagree.
But along with the drop in ram usage is an appreciable increase in system speed so this seems to be a genuine increase in efficiency and not pointless ram miserliness.
I was totally happy with the performance of 18.3 and 19.2 is even better. Mint just keeps getting better every rev.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Lombo posted:

You should work for Google!

What I really mean to say...there was a time and age where people accomplished the same tasks with 1/10 the resources, and there was an art and a style to it that required intelligence. Nothing wrong with retaining that tradition.
Yori Program
It's more the case that in a modern OS "free" ram is a waste of RAM. The OS will use it for various things (caches etc) and make it available to apps when it's required. If it's not allocated to anything it's just sitting around being useless.
Yori Program
Bear in mind also that gnome-system-monitor doesn't report buffers, caches and "easily freeable" memory in its memory report.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
It took me a moment to get used to the change but the new window list with application grouping in Mint19 works really great. It cleans up the panel and saves tons of space and navigating multiple app windows is slick as human waste. The action on mouse over is super smooth and responsive and it very quickly becomes second nature.
This is coming from a grumpy guy who usually does not like change but this change is a great improvement.
Yori Program
It was normal for me as I'm used to Windows >7
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Yori posted:
It was normal for me as I'm used to Windows >7

The app grouping is better in Mint than in win7.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
So, on a whim, I decided to try out Linux on my Hackintosh rig. Although I managed to completely fubar clover in the process, I got it running on a spare drive. I almost wish I hadn't.

Dear god, Mint Linux (Cinnamon flavor) runs circles around High Sierra on this machine when you actually start doing things. Yes, the UI still looks a touch rough (though I haven't really played with altering it yet) compared to MacOS, but performance wise? Not even close. I've only had it up for a few hours, though, so no clue on stability yet.
dv
maurvir posted:
So, on a whim, I decided to try out Linux on my Hackintosh rig. Although I managed to completely fubar clover in the process, I got it running on a spare drive. I almost wish I hadn't.

Dear god, Mint Linux (Cinnamon flavor) runs circles around High Sierra on this machine when you actually start doing things. Yes, the UI still looks a touch rough (though I haven't really played with altering it yet) compared to MacOS, but performance wise? Not even close. I've only had it up for a few hours, though, so no clue on stability yet.

Stability will be fine. Welcome to the club.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:

If your hardware is solid Mint should be stable as a rock for you. It sure has been for me. I have been using Mint for 7 years now and the only problems I had were early days when Cinnamon was still in very young. But everything has been smooth sailing since Mint16.
Mint/Cinnamon is blazing fast on my rig and as reliable as a wood burning stove. :)
The hardware is pretty solid. Other than the GTX 760 from here, which is a recent bit, the rest of the machine ran for weeks or months on end in Sierra as a streaming server. I did replace the goofy multi-colored "Rainbow Fan" with a non-lit ball-bearing fan, though it was as much for the failing bearing as the obnoxious light at night.

At this point, I'm going to have to figure out where to temporarily stuff all the data on my HFS+J formatted RAID, and figure out a common filesystem both OS's can read/write, but I'm thinking it may be time to relegate High Sierra to as-needed duty.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
The hardware is pretty solid. Other than the GTX 760 from here, which is a recent bit, the rest of the machine ran for weeks or months on end in Sierra as a streaming server. I did replace the goofy multi-colored "Rainbow Fan" with a non-lit ball-bearing fan, though it was as much for the failing bearing as the obnoxious light at night.

At this point, I'm going to have to figure out where to temporarily stuff all the data on my HFS+J formatted RAID, and figure out a common filesystem both OS's can read/write, but I'm thinking it may be time to relegate High Sierra to as-needed duty.

OSX can read/write NTFS, right? Use that.
macnuke Afar
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:

you need 3rd party drivers to read/write NTFS now.
So, here is my first question. Why can the built-in media player not play h.264 encoded MP4 files while VLC can. I realize it's not a huge issue, but it's kind of weird. I have installed the codecs and the ubuntu-restricted-extras and a few other things people suggested in forums, but no-go. I get a black screen in the media player. The audio is fine as is the scrubbing bar and time display.

Nevermind - installing mpv and smplayer resolved the issue. Not sure what was up with mplayer, but uninstalling it didn't seem to hurt anything.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:

If your hardware is solid Mint should be stable as a rock for you. It sure has been for me. I have been using Mint for 7 years now and the only problems I had were early days when Cinnamon was still in very young. But everything has been smooth sailing since Mint16.
Mint/Cinnamon is blazing fast on my rig and as reliable as a wood burning stove. :)

You have to get up in the middle of the night to stoke it and add wood? :awe:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
C. Ives posted:
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:

You have to get up in the middle of the night to stoke it and add wood? :awe:

I am honestly surprised how many people are unfamiliar with that very, very old expression.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
macnuke posted:
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:

:lol: Seriously?
Eh, I opted to switch to Ext4 on the internal RAID array anyway. I'm still moving everything back from the external drive.

As an aside, I blew away the High Sierra install on the SSD and it feels like I got a new computer. I had no idea this old i5 system could perform like this.

The only remaining issue is the cartoonish look to a lot of the utilities, like the file manager. (I solved the video playback issue) Linux is looking better than ever, but it is still aesthetically challenged in a lot of areas - though that could be because I opted for Cinnamon. I might should have tried Mate before settling down on the primary SSD. However, that aside, it's definitely usable.
macnuke Afar
Pariah posted:
macnuke posted:
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:

:lol: Seriously?

I kinda laugh also at what they have done. crazy that Alsoft still knows more about the disk formatting then they do. oh well.
If Apple was really into the game for the future, they would be in on virtualizing everything, which they are clearly not. i.e. mainframing...everything runs as client.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
Eh, I opted to switch to Ext4 on the internal RAID array anyway. I'm still moving everything back from the external drive.

As an aside, I blew away the High Sierra install on the SSD and it feels like I got a new computer. I had no idea this old i5 system could perform like this.

The only remaining issue is the cartoonish look to a lot of the utilities, like the file manager. (I solved the video playback issue) Linux is looking better than ever, but it is still aesthetically challenged in a lot of areas - though that could be because I opted for Cinnamon. I might should have tried Mate before settling down on the primary SSD. However, that aside, it's definitely usable.

Well, think of it this way, maybe OSX would be better if they spend less time masturbating over ever aspect of the GUI and spent more time making the system clean and efficient like the Mint guys. Linux Mint might not be quite as visually polished as OSX but polish only gets you so far. I much prefer giving up a little eye candy for a significantly faster system.
That being said, personally I think OSX looks worse now than it ever has. The flatness, the garish and naive color palette. Yuck, seriously yuck.
I like the semitransulency of Acrylic though. Shows you can still make flatness interesting.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I just noticed I can access my photos on my iPhone in the Mint file manager. I just copied them all off.

DropBox, you're fired. :)
I noticed that as well - though so far it only shows the camera roll on the iPad, not the iPhone. Of course, that could be because it's presently empty on the iPhone...

Unfortunately, I have noticed a few bugs:
1) mplayer and screensaver don't work correctly if you are using the Nvidia binary drivers. However, you don't get the nifty video icons if you don't have mplayer installed. The screensaver, at least, can be disabled. This is livable, and only affects the desktop system.

2) USB Tethering is broken. The link is detected, but it errors out with "cable unplugged" no matter what. This seems to have been a problem for a while based on forum posts going back to v18. This is annoying, as it requires turning on the hotspot functionality, which drains the phone battery like nuts - when it should be getting charged instead. The work-around is to use wifi, but plug the phone into a USB port to charge.

3) Suspend functionality is broken on the VAIO. It suspends just fine - I can see the light pulsing correctly. Waking up, on the other hand, results in a spontaneous reboot. This is also a known issue with the recommendation of using a geriatric kernel. For now I've disabled all suspend functionality, and since the VAIO has an Intel graphics "solution", the screensaver works on it. Closing the lid now either initiates a clean shutdown (on battery) or the lock screen (on AC power).
Pariah Know Your Enemy
There is no screensaver in 19.*.
I have never tried USB tethering, never needed to and the suspend issue has been a problem with certain laptops forever.
I am actually considering getting a laptop. I have been seeing some really sweet deals popping up on Craig's list. i7 and more recent i5 models are starting to come up in the $200 to $300 range and that is my sweet spot for PC purchases.
Then I to get to experience the laptop problems I have only read about till now.
juice Inadvertently correct
something something laptop parts ;)
Pariah Know Your Enemy
juice posted:
something something laptop parts ;)

Laptops are the correct place for laptop parts.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I booted into Windows for the first time in months, Instantly after the desktop stabilizes, Windows says it just updated something and requires a reboot so I rebooted and told grub to go back to Linux again.
stick fiddling Windows.
... Why haven't you called this thread "Pariah's Perpetual Penguin Post"?

Also: well no human waste, that's like saying your toilet is filthy by the time you finally get around to flushing.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:
... Why haven't you called this thread "Pariah's Perpetual Penguin Post"?

Also: well no human waste, that's like saying your toilet is filthy by the time you finally get around to flushing.

Sometimes I forget how God damned hyperactive Windows is. As soon as the desktop loaded I got excited messages about the two USB sticks I had inserted, a dire warning about my lack of AV software, complaints about connected drives not being formatted to Windows liking and then the I updated something!!! Reboot.
stick fiddling A, man. Windows always has so much to say.
Aside from the USB sticks all of those warnings are self inflicted and would likely never be seen if windows 10 was bring used regularly
Oh no, I use it regularly for gaming and I have to restart for updates at least every other week. Steam is even worse, though. I swear they're just downloading 3 GB of new advertisements every time.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:
Aside from the USB sticks all of those warnings are self inflicted and would likely never be seen if windows 10 was bring used regularly

Win7
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Win7

Wine?

I have Photoshop CS2 running in Wine, and other than having to do one squirrely permissions change to a pref file (because PS kept corrupting it), it works great. Not sure about color management, though. You might still need Windows if you need calibrated color.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Win7

Wine?

I have Photoshop CS2 running in Wine, and other than having to do one squirrely permissions change to a pref file (because PS kept corrupting it), it works great. Not sure about color management, though. You might still need Windows if you need calibrated color.

I had CS2 running in WINE once but it was unstable and half the filters and other tools would not work at all.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Pariah's Perpetual Linux Thread.

Page: 1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27