Pariah's Perpetual Linux Thread.

Page: 1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
Online now: Bing (sucks), Majestic-12 [Bot], StaticAge
Yori Program
Yeah, the upgrade from 19.1 to 19.2 went quickly and smoothly for me as well. Runs very nicely on my T430. :)

Pariah Know Your Enemy
I always liked the gummy looking widgets. :) I think this theme will do for awhile.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
I do like the new media player, Xplayer in Mint. It is a nice bare-bones player that does not get in the way and has the useful feature of having Hue, contrast, saturation, brightness and contrast controls readily accessible in preferences presented in a nice, polished GUI..
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Something is definitely better in Mint 19. On 18.3 my ram usage would frequently exceed 8 or 9GB, occasionally even more if I was spending an extended time browsing demanding sites like Reddit. But since I upgraded I have not seen my ram used exceed 4.5GB.
Lombo Opiofiend
Unused ram is wasted ram. IHMO
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Lombo posted:

I don't disagree.
But along with the drop in ram usage is an appreciable increase in system speed so this seems to be a genuine increase in efficiency and not pointless ram miserliness.
I was totally happy with the performance of 18.3 and 19.2 is even better. Mint just keeps getting better every rev.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Lombo posted:

You should work for Google!

What I really mean to say...there was a time and age where people accomplished the same tasks with 1/10 the resources, and there was an art and a style to it that required intelligence. Nothing wrong with retaining that tradition.
Yori Program
It's more the case that in a modern OS "free" ram is a waste of RAM. The OS will use it for various things (caches etc) and make it available to apps when it's required. If it's not allocated to anything it's just sitting around being useless.
Yori Program
Bear in mind also that gnome-system-monitor doesn't report buffers, caches and "easily freeable" memory in its memory report.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Pariah's Perpetual Linux Thread.

Page: 1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26