saving a mostly hosed drive

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
belloq451
Title: in the outlet by the lightswitch.

saving a mostly hosed drive

Post by belloq451 »

a drive I had in my laptop is probably failing, but I can still see data that's on it, but if I try to open it or copy it, either it'll try to copy then throw up an error -36, say the ds_store file is in use or some such, or it'll start to work but after some time it'll eject itself and then the finder will complain that it wasn't ejected properly. it only seems to do that when I have it installed in my mac pro 1,1 running yosemite. if I use an external enclosure it doesn't eject itself, but when i was using superduper yesterday to try and copy everything off, it was roundabout what i might expect for a usb3 drive in a usb2 port, but eventually it got down to like .06mb/s.

i'm not super worried about the data since it's my wankbank drive, but it would be mostly a hassle to track down all the files and redownload them, not to mention the bandwidth usage. is there something else I can try?

spaaaaaace!
ukimalefu
Title: MAXIMUM ALERT

Post by ukimalefu »

I don't know if any of these suggestions will make a difference, but

can you try to copy individual files, the more important ones first? and copy them to the fastest drive you have

or maybe try to make an image of the drive?

or just try again to copy the whole thing

Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

Is DiskWarrior still a thing? And have you tried disk repair, fdisk, Onyx/Yasu repair permissions, etc.?

Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

If you have access to a PC, you might consider buying a copy of SpinRite and let SpinRite do its stuff to your drive.

belloq451

Post by belloq451 »

tried first aid in disk utility, it didn't find anything wrong, but when I tried to make an image of the drive it said I didn't have permission.
I've got carbon copy cloner going now, it seems to be working a little better than superduper. we're talking inthe neighborhood of 7-800gb, so I'll just let it run all night and see if it errors out in the morning.

spaaaaaace!
ukimalefu
Title: MAXIMUM ALERT

Post by ukimalefu »

no permissions it said?

other than repairing permissions, it may be possible to give yourself permission: select the drive's icon, do a 'get info', from the file menu, or right click, or... command-I, I think, and in the info window at the bottom you should be able to give your user permission to read/write. You'll need an admin account/password to do that.

But, that drive may be beyond what you can easily repair, at home, for free.

belloq451

Post by belloq451 »

I had set the drive as read-write for every user group it had listed, but it didn't make a difference, and there wasn't a repair permissions option in disk utility.

had half a thought to take it to the local geek squad, but I don't want to be put on a list ;) edit: I'm no phydeaux, but still

spaaaaaace!
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

belloq451 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:06 am

I had set the drive as read-write for every user group it had listed, but it didn't make a difference, and there wasn't a repair permissions option in disk utility.

had half a thought to take it to the local geek squad, but I don't want to be put on a list ;) edit: I'm no phydeaux, but still

Trust me, they have seen vastly worse than anything you could possibly have - unless you are already on a watch list. I used to work as a tech at a computer repair shop and I saw stuff that would turn you white (and if you are white, pale).

belloq451

Post by belloq451 »

nah I'm sure I'm pretty vanilla compared to some corners of the net
well spinrite is a little spendy, but it is cheaper than data recovery services, so I'll probably try that next, just too bad there's not a native mac version

spaaaaaace!
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

So yes, Diskwarrior (5) is still a thing. I used it to save a drive once...it worked. It does not yet support AFPS formatted drives though. ($110 - $130)

Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.