Microsoft CEO says the 'next generation' of Windows is coming soon

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
ukimalefu
Title: not a webp fan

Microsoft CEO says the 'next generation' of Windows is coming soon

Post by ukimalefu »

We've heard that before

This one is going to be really good!

:/

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-ceo-s ... cebook.com

At his keynote speech for Microsoft's Build conference on Tuesday, CEO Satya Nadella talked about a major update in the works for Windows. Nadella didn't offer details, but he did refer to the update as the "next generation of Windows," not just Windows 10. That makes it sound likely that whatever Nadella is talking about will be the most significant update for the operating system since it debuted in 2015.

"Soon we will share one of the most significant updates to Windows of the past decade to unlock greater economic opportunity for developers and creators," Nadella said in his keynote. "I've been self-hosting it over the past several months and I'm incredibly excited about the next generation of Windows. Our promise to you is this: We will create more opportunity for every Windows developer today and welcome every creator who is looking for the most innovative, new, open platform to build and distribute and monetize applications. We look forward to sharing more very soon."

Uh... good fore developers and creators...

Sounds like microsoft

Everything will be a subscription? well, they didn't invent that, apple and google and amazon and netflix (seems they want to do gaming) did it first.

Robert
Title: Dandy Highwayman

Post by Robert »

One thing's for sure: He ain't no Steve Ballmer.

"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
avkills

Post by avkills »

The only way Microsoft could make Windows good is to break backwards compatibility; and that ain't happening anytime soon.

"Killing them dead till they believe"
† The Church of Mark †
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

avkills wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:45 am

The only way Microsoft could make Windows good is to break backwards compatibility; and that ain't happening anytime soon.

You mean it will still run from the "C" drive?

jkahless
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

To quote the late great MAF magazine on Windows XP, you can polish a turd but all you end up with is shiny human waste.

Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

They already did that and they still made it worse.

Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

It might seem curious that MS announces a new Windows and only mentions developers and makes to mention of a better end user experience but it really makes perfect sense. MS knows their user base is trapped, they have no where else to go so, fiddlesticks 'em.

Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
avkills

Post by avkills »

Metacell wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:53 am

They already did that and they still made it worse.

They didn't break it enough.

"Killing them dead till they believe"
† The Church of Mark †
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Pariah wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:59 am

It might seem curious that MS announces a new Windows and only mentions developers and makes to mention of a better end user experience but it really makes perfect sense. MS knows their user base is trapped, they have no where else to go so, fiddlesticks 'em.

As long as Linux keeps playing ABI dickery and Apple keeps making high-end toys, Microsoft has no real reason to improve.

Pariah

Post by Pariah »

maurvir wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:55 pm

ABI dickery

Wat?

maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Pariah wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:39 pm
maurvir wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:55 pm

ABI dickery

Wat?

While the Linux kernel itself supports backwards compatibility for applications, a lot of (most) distributions don't handle library dependencies well. This can mostly be fixed, though. What is tougher to fix is that Internally the kernel interface that drivers use changes all the time. It's why you have to recompile when you upgrade the kernel, and why shims for device drivers are a thing.

Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

Recompilation is the essence of Unix. The point is that the source code still works.

Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Robert wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:15 am

Nobody can dance like Steve Ballmer. :lol:

Over years, I always noticed that Mac users can generally use any other operating system,
with little break-in time.

Not so with many Windows folks. They really go into some degree of meltdown when they can't find the start
button, or the C Drive. Just saying...

"There is a theory that Earth and sun and galaxy and all the known universes are only a dust mote on some policeman's uniform in some gigantic superworld. Couldn't we be under some supermicroscope, right now? "

Pariah

Post by Pariah »

Enigma wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:00 am
Robert wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:15 am

Nobody can dance like Steve Ballmer. :lol:

Over years, I always noticed that Mac users can generally use any other operating system,
with little break-in time.

Not so with many Windows folks. They really go into some degree of meltdown when they can't find the start
button, or the C Drive. Just saying...

You should see the troubles Windows "power users" have when they try Linux. To them anything that works differently than Windows is wrong and that causes them all kinds of stress. All Unix like OSes are fundamentally similar but Windows is "unique".

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Next version of window is... Windows 11! (apple did 11 first :p )

And it will have... a new startup sound!

And to celebrate, here's an 11 minutes long of all windows startup sounds slowed down... because... reasons...

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/10/2252 ... aser-video

Dammit microsoft, what are you doing?

iDaemon
Title: infinitely loopy

Post by iDaemon »

Pariah wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:59 am

Yup. I would have made a similar barbed comment but it would have been much less focused. I mean is there any such thing as a Microsoft “Human Interface Guidelines”? There may be - but I keep anything from Redmond away from my computing.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

https://kottke.org/18/02/a-list-of-25-p ... rry-barlow