Apple will let you transfer pics to... google?

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Apple will let you transfer pics to... google?

Post by ukimalefu »

Apple's New Service Helps You Transfer Your Pics and Videos From iCloud to Google Photos

I believe that iCloud was never meant to be permanent storage, but more like a buffer to sunc stuff with your Mac.

But, now Apple will let you transfer pics and videos to google photos. BE AWARE that google photos had unlimited storage, but no more, google is limiting it to 15 GB, but still, triple apple's 5 GB.

Buy a couple drives to store your stuff, and/or pay for a storage service other than apple or google. Maybe even pick a few really important pics and print hard copies.

Don't be like me, I don't follow my own advice. You should make backups. How about right now?

dv

Post by dv »

Gotta do what the customers want, ultimately.

avkills

Post by avkills »

Ha ha. I just bought a new SSD to back up to. Not Time Machine, just manual backup. I was tired of waiting 4 hours every time....took less than 10min with the new drive.

"Killing them dead till they believe"
† The Church of Mark †
macnuke
Title: PureBleed

Post by macnuke »

at one time we had storage we could link pics to post here and elsewhere, place files others could download and whatnot.I seem to recall for free with 5M storage.
guess the server space and bandwidth was just too much.

There are no illegitimate children...only illegitimate parents.

Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

avkills wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:31 pm

Ha ha. I just bought a new SSD to back up to. Not Time Machine, just manual backup. I was tired of waiting 4 hours every time....took less than 10min with the new drive.

I never, ever got Time Machine to work for me. I just gave up on it eventually. As far as I could ever determine the only function TM ever served was to produce error alerts. Now that I am on Linux I have tried to use Time Shift but it seems that works just as well as Time Machine.
So I just manually back my stuff up. Photos get backed up to an external drive, a 64GB thumb drive and Google Photos.

Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

I'd like to figure out a way to better manage what is stored within iCloud. The user interface isn't exactly intuitive.

TOS

Post by TOS »

i remember asking someone at the apple store how to do this and they said it couldn't be done

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
wellfleation

Post by wellfleation »

I still use a old Apple AirPort Extreme Time Capsule that gives the error message that it's overheating but it works fine with throwing files on there and access, even with TimeMachine, although it's slower than anything.

juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

TOS wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:36 pm

i remember asking someone at the apple store how to do this and they said it couldn't be done

So it's just a black hole of storage, no management? That's less than useful