What kind of masks do you wear, how much do you like them?

How's life?
Vulture
Title: 420

What kind of masks do you wear, how much do you like them?

Post by Vulture »

So we're going on a year now from completely not being a mask culture to embracing mask culture practically overnight. If you were on the subway with a protective mask just 5 years ago, immature groups of youths would ridicule you amongst themselves due to their level of ignorance. One Halloween I was refused entrance into a RiteAid store unless I removed my mask for security reasons. Now, I will be refused entry and/or service without a mask. So, as Americans, we like to go full on to the hilt with new trends and masks are the biggest trend of 2020. An entire new home made mask market exists online thanks to bored and unemployed soccer moms with a little enthusiasm.

Which masks have you decided identify your sense of style or how you want to be represented in public as a fellow mask wearer? Are you straight up Dental Assistant/surgeon? Tailored black chic government worker/secret service style? Are you going full N95 or better like a construction worker? How about those that have the hard V seam up the middle like a feedbag for horses? Most people in my area have masks that are made by Levi's or other clothing companies, as they are stylish just enough without going overboard.

I personally am excited to wear my mask just to enter stores to buy necessities, I will wear my mask until it becomes illegal again to walk into a gas station like a Pakistani gangster.

I'm also looking forward to seeing people's faces again once we're allowed. My personal choices are 3, although I've worn 5 different masks over the past year. My new favorite is a Ninja Mask that was a Christmas gift from the local 99¢ store. From the same store I bought myself an American flag bandana. Back in August I got a Pakistani shemagh that is amazing, and is great for the cold weather as we enter the winter season. The gas station is run by Pakistanis who love my truck and now appreciate the shemagh.

Stay safe everyone, and let's try to enjoy our lives.

Oh, I realized I haven't updated my avatar in a while, maybe I'll make it an actual photo of me wearing a mask as it will still be generally anonymous but truthful and authentic.
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

something like this

It's paper, and it's "medical", but I don't think it's full "N95".

You mention better like a construction worker? what do you mean, and how it's that better?

Here's what I believe, and I'm sorry I don't have links (but I believe I've posted those links in this thread)

ANY mask is better than no mask

Masks with valves are NOT better, in fact they're worse

Masks are NOT bad for you in any way, they don't make you breathe CO2, you get all the oxygen you need.

My paper mask is supposed to be disposable. I've reused it "a lot", it still looks in good shape, but by "a lot" I mean, for me. "Six feet apart" is not a new thing for me, it's a rule for life.

I've been thinking about sacrificing a t-shirt to make a reusable mask. It's not like I can be buying paper mask all the time.

ukimalefu

Re: What kind of masks do you wear, how much do you like the

Post by ukimalefu »

I just found something for the gamers and cyberpunk/sci-fi fans

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/12/2222 ... gb-concept
Vulture

Post by Vulture »

Uki, although masks are proven to be helpful to contain particulate matter to some degree (droplets in this case), they do restrict breathing. That is why the CDC recommends removing your mask during physical activity in a gym setting so you don't pass out or worse from lack of oxygen. It's quite all right for you to wear one for as long as you can remain conscious, if you'd like. There are medical exemptions from wearing masks because in some cases wearing a mask becomes immediately life threatening to the individual.

As far as construction worker masks, I was referring to something like the N100 certified masks.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

I like my masks.
I made them myself. They are three layers of cotton that also form a pocket in which I can place an extra layer of filtre material which can be another piece of cotton, or coffee filtre material or vacuum cleaner bag material. The extra layer is optional. I've been infected twice and have spent a lot of time in isolation so this is for others, not me.

I regularly wash the masks in soapy water and while it's wet with soapy water I place it over a bowl of water and microwave it for 8 minutes. After that it dries quickly and then I spray it with isopropyl alcohol. I wear this thing on my face, over my mouth, for long periods. I want it to be clean.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Vulture posted wrote: Uki, although masks are proven to be helpful to contain particulate matter to some degree (droplets in this case), they do restrict breathing. That is why the CDC recommends removing your mask during physical activity in a gym setting so you don't pass out or worse from lack of oxygen. It's quite all right for you to wear one for as long as you can remain conscious, if you'd like. There are medical exemptions from wearing masks because in some cases wearing a mask becomes immediately life threatening to the individual.

As far as construction worker masks, I was referring to something like the N100 certified masks.

during physical activity in a gym setting... well, ok, that's an extreme situation, but people should avoid indoors gyms in these times

But I've also seen comments from front line health workers who are hours a day day in a mask, in stressful conditions, without problems.

And some people lie about medical conditions. You know who they are.

And the main reason to wear a mask is to protect others from you, not yourself from others. You can be contagious BEFORE you get symptoms.

-

What are we doing here? I truly believe you know well enough, and I know well enough.
Vulture

Post by Vulture »

My favorite mask style is the chin mask outside while smoking and using a phone. If you're outside and at least 6 feet away from a person, you don't need a mask unless you are engaged in a spitting contest.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

jkahless
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

Vulture posted wrote: Uki, although masks are proven to be helpful to contain particulate matter to some degree (droplets in this case), they do restrict breathing. That is why the CDC recommends removing your mask during physical activity in a gym setting so you don't pass out or worse from lack of oxygen.

:lol: (Laughs in physical laborer) I wish I'd known I was supposed to pass out or worse, would have saved me a lot of work in the hot sun wearing an N95 :lol:

You shouldn't be in a gym setting with strangers right now anyways. May as well be licking people's faces with all that heavy breathing and sweat.
TOS

Post by TOS »

just a standard n95 paper mask

managed to score a bunch before the first lockdown
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Vulture

Post by Vulture »

jkahless posted wrote:
Vulture posted wrote: Uki, although masks are proven to be helpful to contain particulate matter to some degree (droplets in this case), they do restrict breathing. That is why the CDC recommends removing your mask during physical activity in a gym setting so you don't pass out or worse from lack of oxygen.

:lol: (Laughs in physical laborer) I wish I'd known I was supposed to pass out or worse, would have saved me a lot of work in the hot sun wearing an N95 :lol:

You shouldn't be in a gym setting with strangers right now anyways. May as well be licking people's faces with all that heavy breathing and sweat.

Gyms are open and staying strong and healthy is a priority if people have learned anything about those who have succumbed to this virus and all other leading causes of death that have not gone away. If you can squat, deadlift, bench, and overhead press in a mask, you're just that much more amazing. I know some countries have strict enforcement in various ways about mask wearing, but people who train in gym settings are doing so because they can and their health depends on it. CDC guidelines are clear about this.
Vulture

Post by Vulture »

ukimalefu posted wrote: Image

THIS is my new favorite.
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

macnuke
Title: Afar

Post by macnuke »

Ribtor posted wrote: I like my masks.
I made them myself. They are three layers of cotton that also form a pocket in which I can place an extra layer of filtre material which can be another piece of cotton, or coffee filtre material or vacuum cleaner bag material. The extra layer is optional. I've been infected twice and have spent a lot of time in isolation so this is for others, not me.

I regularly wash the masks in soapy water and while it's wet with soapy water I place it over a bowl of water and microwave it for 8 minutes. After that it dries quickly and then I spray it with isopropyl alcohol. I wear this thing on my face, over my mouth, for long periods. I want it to be clean.

basically this
only my wife made them as she won't let anyone touch her sewing machine.
4 of us in the house, three that are medical personal. 4th manages a retail store.
so it's a small load for the washer as we all have about 10 masks each.
three of us have head covers as well.
There are no illegitimate children...there are illegitimate parents.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

I may be over-doing the cleaning.

Warm soapy water is good.
Boiling water plus steam for 8 minutes is better.
Microwaves might possibly be directly effective but I don't know.
99% isopropyl alcohol is highly effective.

There is no metal in the mask. That's important.
Robert B.
Title: Dandy Highwayman

Post by Robert B. »

"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

Mine looks like this, but this is not my mask:

https://www.amazon.com/Protective-Washa ... 7&sr=8-110

But unlike that one mine has four layers of cloth as well as the pocket. You can take a paper N95 and cut it to fit that pocket. Mine has the valve, but I don't believe it works the way they say it does. It is only on the most outside layer of fabric so there are three layers of fabric and the N95 between it and your nose. I have seen mask with valves that aren't like that and the valve goes all the way through the fabric. I have had it since spring and wear it almost everyday. I throw it in the washing machine with the rest of my work clothes; it has held up to washing this whole time. I do have some paper medical procedure masks that I pocketed from work that I use if I have to. If I felt like I was going into a "hot" location I would double mask, but I haven't run into that situation yet. I work in an outpatient clinic, and all the patients I see have been tested negative before they get through the door, but I still maintain my distance and PPE, including lab coat and gloves, (but that's required for the work I do anyway) and I go through a LOT of disinfectant wipes and spray.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
jkahless

Post by jkahless »

Vulture posted wrote:
jkahless posted wrote:

Gyms are open and staying strong and healthy is a priority if people have learned anything about those who have succumbed to this virus and all other leading causes of death that have not gone away. If you can squat, deadlift, bench, and overhead press in a mask, you're just that much more amazing. I know some countries have strict enforcement in various ways about mask wearing, but people who train in gym settings are doing so because they can and their health depends on it. CDC guidelines are clear about this.

Yeah, because you can't exercise outside of gyms. This should be the year of the bodyweight exercise.

And yes, you can squat, deadlift, bench, or overhead press wearing a mask.

I'm sorry I don't have more patience, but I'm tired of people saying things are essential just because they're important, and people keep dying.
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

So, N95 should only be worn by medical personnel and most people don't realize once you touch them, they are no longer N95. Also masks with vents only protect the wearer, and not those around them. They are not allowed at work at all. Neither are gaiters.

I wear cloth masks that are hone made by someone on Etsy. They have ear loops and work well with my glasses. I was going to link you, but she currently has none for sale. I also have disposable masks with the nose bridge metal thingy, but those don't work very well with my glasses.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
Vulture

Post by Vulture »

jkahless posted wrote:
Vulture posted wrote:
jkahless posted wrote:

Yeah, because you can't exercise outside of gyms. This should be the year of the bodyweight exercise.

I'm sorry I don't have more patience, but I'm tired of people saying things are essential just because they're important, and people keep dying.

Gyms are not for everyone, and it's better that people that don't understand how gyms and training work (outside of the home) don't unnecessarily crowd gyms so people who take their health seriously can actually train and continue to be strong and live long and productive lives. If training for health and longevity is not essential, it puts in question what is essential. There actually isn't a question, but many have opinions.
Vulture

Re:

Post by Vulture »

justine posted wrote: So, N95 should only be worn by medical personnel and most people don't realize once you touch them, they are no longer N95. Also masks with vents only protect the wearer, and not those around them. They are not allowed at work at all. Neither are gaiters.

I wear cloth masks that are hone made by someone on Etsy. They have ear loops and work well with my glasses. I was going to link you, but she currently has none for sale. I also have disposable masks with the nose bridge metal thingy, but those don't work very well with my glasses.

This is very interesting information about what is allowable at work! What do you mean by "once you touch them"? Don't you touch them to put them on? And N95 is only a certification for the level of filtration, I happen to have a bunch of N95 I bought years ago so I don't give myself lung cancer from my bathroom demo. What is the place of work doesn't allow specific face coverings?
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

Vulture, you put them on a certain way, and if you touch the mask with unsanitized hands, they are no longer the level of N95. I work in the semiconductor industry, but that doesnt mean a thing. It's about protecting your coworkers. The masks that are approved at my work cannot have gaps at the nose, cheeks and chin. If you wear a shield, you also have to wear a mask. No gaiters or bandanas because they are not closed at the bottom, and most gaiters don't pass the candle test.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
Malkin
Title: kick 'em in the face; taste the body

Post by Malkin »

Those are my main two. I also have a couple work branded masks. When I'm doing outdoor activities, I wear a variety of Buffs from National Parks and other places I love.
macaddict4life

Post by macaddict4life »

Vulture posted wrote: Uki, although masks are proven to be helpful to contain particulate matter to some degree (droplets in this case), they do restrict breathing. That is why the CDC recommends removing your mask during physical activity in a gym setting so you don't pass out or worse from lack of oxygen. It's quite all right for you to wear one for as long as you can remain conscious, if you'd like. There are medical exemptions from wearing masks because in some cases wearing a mask becomes immediately life threatening to the individual.

Vulture posted wrote: Gyms are open and staying strong and healthy is a priority if people have learned anything about those who have succumbed to this virus and all other leading causes of death that have not gone away. If you can squat, deadlift, bench, and overhead press in a mask, you're just that much more amazing. I know some countries have strict enforcement in various ways about mask wearing, but people who train in gym settings are doing so because they can and their health depends on it. CDC guidelines are clear about this.

So could you maybe stop repeating something some guy at a gym told you, and vaguely referencing CDC guidelines that don't exist? The CDC is clear about this, but not in the way that you think.
What the CDC Actually Says wrote:For healthy people, wearing masks during exercise has not been shown to be harmful. However, individuals affected by lung disease, such as asthma or COPD, or heart disease, should be evaluated by a healthcare provider before attempting exercise with any mask.

The only thing it says about not wearing a mask during exercise, other than if you have specific conditions, is that if the intensity is such that it is difficult to wear a mask, do it outside and socially distanced. But I'm having a hard time coming up with exercise of a sufficient intensity that mask mask is falling off or otherwise difficult to wear.
Ernest
macaddict4life

Post by macaddict4life »

I've been wearing the cloth ones, mostly over concerns about environmental impact. The last two weeks I wore a lot more disposables, and I ended up with a weird dry skin problem on my ear, so I'm going to get my cloth masks washed again and resume wearing the.
Ernest
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

We need to stop finding reasons not to wear masks. We need to stop trying to finesse our behaviour to accommodate our expectations of normalcy.
arkayn
Title: Aaarrrggghhhh

Post by arkayn »

I wear Gaiters, as every other type instantly fogs up my glasses.
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

macaddict4life posted wrote:

Vulture posted wrote: Gyms are open and staying strong and healthy is a priority if people have learned anything about those who have succumbed to this virus and all other leading causes of death that have not gone away. If you can squat, deadlift, bench, and overhead press in a mask, you're just that much more amazing. I know some countries have strict enforcement in various ways about mask wearing, but people who train in gym settings are doing so because they can and their health depends on it. CDC guidelines are clear about this.

So could you maybe stop repeating something some guy at a gym told you, and vaguely referencing CDC guidelines that don't exist? The CDC is clear about this, but not in the way that you think.
What the CDC Actually Says wrote:For healthy people, wearing masks during exercise has not been shown to be harmful. However, individuals affected by lung disease, such as asthma or COPD, or heart disease, should be evaluated by a healthcare provider before attempting exercise with any mask.

The only thing it says about not wearing a mask during exercise, other than if you have specific conditions, is that if the intensity is such that it is difficult to wear a mask, do it outside and socially distanced. But I'm having a hard time coming up with exercise of a sufficient intensity that mask mask is falling off or otherwise difficult to wear.

During my cardio rehab we all wore masks while we exercised. Masks do not interfere with breathing.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

An awful lot of carpenters, dry-wallers and surgical teams would be failing their tasks if cloth masks were a problem.
Malkin
Title: kick 'em in the face; taste the body

Post by Malkin »

Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

I have a mask that says "Dump Trump".
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
jkahless

Post by jkahless »

Vulture posted wrote:
jkahless posted wrote:
Vulture posted wrote:
jkahless posted wrote:

Gyms are not for everyone, and it's better that people that don't understand how gyms and training work (outside of the home) don't unnecessarily crowd gyms so people who take their health seriously can actually train and continue to be strong and live long and productive lives. If training for health and longevity is not essential, it puts in question what is essential. There actually isn't a question, but many have opinions.

You’re talking to a fellow who spent half his teenage years in the gym. I’ve competed and placed in junior national weightlifting championships. I understand what it is to have your life wrapped around a gym and the positive relationships and benefits it brings. I’ve also trained in emergency services, and I’ve learned to appreciate the difficult difference between what’s actually essential and what’s not.

Exercise is important. Keeping your body healthy and strong is important. Keeping your mind healthy and strong is important. You can exercise your mind and find a way to exercise your body in a way that doesn’t put you in a room with sweating panting strangers.

The fact that gyms are still open is nothing more than the sheer cowardice of the politicians who would rather attempt to keep things running than plan and enforce the kind of restrictions that would allow pandemics to be contained. I don’t fault you for wanting to do something you’ve been told is safe. But it’s safe like it’s safe to drink right “up” to the legal limit before driving, or only smoking “some" tobacco is safe. If you get permanent lung damage, no amount of cardio will ever put you back together again. Please stay safe. At least wear a mask, I promise you it won't smother you.

https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/ ... cising-faq
Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

Pariah posted wrote:
macaddict4life posted wrote:

During my cardio rehab we all wore masks while we exercised. Masks do not interfere with breathing.

Gyms / Health clubs ahve been unfairly lumped in with restaurants and bars.

Gyms, at least in my state are NOT a place where spreading happens. hell, most are very empty, have very strict guidelines and excellent social distancing.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
Vulture

Post by Vulture »

Those murderous bastard gym owners and employees! And here I thought they were just good people who simply want to train because they know the difference between exercise and training. If only we can shut them down again somehow now that the facts are in about the incredible amount of death. Perhaps the politicians and law enforcement simply need to be a tad more authoritarian?

Let's try to keep this on topic and about what masks you wear and how you like them. We wear them when we have to, because we have to. The NFL doesn't wear them on the field. The NYC Marathon was cancelled because, well, let's just say that maybe masks won't actually be a great idea there if worn '"correctly". I love how people think they can train in masks, yet until 2020 those two concepts never were entertained.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

The NYC Marathon was cancelled because, well, let's just say that maybe

it's a big crowd

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/spor ... celed.html
Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Re:

Post by Séamas »

"And riders were asked to wear their masks into the studio and remove them only while exercising, in accordance with local rules."

They were not wearing masks during the class.

jkahless posted wrote: https://boston.cbslocal.com/wp-content/ ... 2-2020.pdf

No mention regarding distancing procedures or mask wearing.

Health clubs and gyms are 500 times safer than your average public space.
https://amp-thepostmillennial-com.cdn.a ... LNtlNeKFvc
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
dv

Post by dv »

Early on I made some of my own. Also bought some of these but they fog up the glasses a lot more.

The disposables seem awfully wasteful.
macaddict4life

Post by macaddict4life »

Vulture posted wrote: Those murderous bastard gym owners and employees! And here I thought they were just good people who simply want to train because they know the difference between exercise and training. If only we can shut them down again somehow now that the facts are in about the incredible amount of death. Perhaps the politicians and law enforcement simply need to be a tad more authoritarian?

Let's try to keep this on topic and about what masks you wear and how you like them. We wear them when we have to, because we have to. The NFL doesn't wear them on the field. The NYC Marathon was cancelled because, well, let's just say that maybe masks won't actually be a great idea there if worn '"correctly". I love how people think they can train in masks, yet until 2020 those two concepts never were entertained.

You are the problem. People who spread misinformation, decide that their personal priority is more important than the greater good, and then use hyperbole to justify your position. It is not okay, and it is the reason that things across the US are such a mess. It is heartbreaking to see how this has played out, and unbelievable that people still aren't ready to get with the program.
Ernest
jkahless

Post by jkahless »

Vulture posted wrote: If only we can shut them down again somehow now that the facts are in about the incredible amount of death. Perhaps the politicians and law enforcement simply need to be a tad more authoritarian?

Yes.