End of the line for Arecibo

Online now: Google [Bot], ukimalefu, Yori
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/19/215 ... able-break

Quote:
The world-famous Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico, known for helping scientists peer into deep space and listen for distant radio waves, is set to be decommissioned and demolished after engineers concluded that the facility’s structure is at risk of a collapse. While teams will try to salvage some parts of the observatory, the decommission will bring an end to the popular 57-year-old telescope, which has been featured in numerous films and television shows.

The decision comes after two major cables failed at the facility within the last few months, causing significant damage to the observatory. The National Science Foundation (NSF), which oversees Arecibo, assessed the impact of the cable breaks and found that the facility’s other cables could also fail soon. If some of the remaining cables break, engineers fear that the 900-ton suspended platform above the facility could come crashing down on Arecibo’s iconic 1,000-foot-wide dish. It’s also possible that three surrounding towers, which stand at more than 300 feet tall, could topple over in any direction, potentially hitting the visitor’s center or other important nearby buildings.

:(
Pariah Know Your Enemy
900 ton? That can't be right.
TOS
sean Royal Wombat
That sucks. That really really sucks.

Pariah posted:

According to Wikipedia:
Quote:
The receiver is on a 900-ton platform suspended 150 m (492 ft) above the dish by 18 cables running from three reinforced concrete towers, one 111 m (365 ft) high and the other two 81 m (265 ft) high, placing their tops at the same elevation. The platform has a rotating, bow-shaped track 93 m (305 ft) long, called the azimuth arm, carrying the receiving antennas and secondary and tertiary reflectors. This allows the telescope to observe any region of the sky in a forty-degree cone of visibility about the local zenith (between −1 and 38 degrees of declination). Puerto Rico's location near the Northern Tropic allows Arecibo to view the planets in the Solar System over the Northern half of their orbit. The round trip light time to objects beyond Saturn is longer than the 2.6 hour time that the telescope can track a celestial position, preventing radar observations of more distant objects.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
sean posted:
That sucks. That really really sucks.

Pariah posted:

According to Wikipedia:
Quote:
The receiver is on a 900-ton platform suspended 150 m (492 ft) above the dish by 18 cables running from three reinforced concrete towers, one 111 m (365 ft) high and the other two 81 m (265 ft) high, placing their tops at the same elevation. The platform has a rotating, bow-shaped track 93 m (305 ft) long, called the azimuth arm, carrying the receiving antennas and secondary and tertiary reflectors. This allows the telescope to observe any region of the sky in a forty-degree cone of visibility about the local zenith (between −1 and 38 degrees of declination). Puerto Rico's location near the Northern Tropic allows Arecibo to view the planets in the Solar System over the Northern half of their orbit. The round trip light time to objects beyond Saturn is longer than the 2.6 hour time that the telescope can track a celestial position, preventing radar observations of more distant objects.

I guess I didn't realize how stick fiddling huge this thing is.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
The Illuminati will rebuild it. It's the only way the Reptilians can stay in touch with Nibiru.
I don't know if it's done yet, but I believe China started building a radio telescope bigger than Arecibo
While it technically received its "first light" in 2016, the Five-hundred-meter Aperture Spherical Telescope (FAST) became fully operational in January 2020.
gd Hero of Twilight
It really sucks that it is being decommissioned. I greatly enjoyed my many trips during my childhood. The museum exhibit always seemed amazing as a kid. In my teenage years they let us meet the scientists. I recall they were running Gentoo Linux in their systems. I remember walking under the dish. It’s a garden of plants rarely or not seen elsewhere in the island. The cool and dark shade provided by the telescope’s dish allowed the proliferation of unique flora and the settlement of fauna that would not survive well in other environments of Puerto Rico.

My paternal grandfather and uncles were some of the people involved during the construction of the Arecibo radio-telescope. It was made in a sinkhole, and during the construction, many indigenous artifacts were discovered. My grandfather gave them to my dad. I still hold on to these.

Part of what damaged this telescope so greatly was hurricane Maria this years earthquakes. Insufficient funding for maintenance has also played a big part.

Much of the island has been depressed by this news.

:(
TOS
it collapsed today

Quote:
The telescope’s 900-ton receiver platform fell onto the reflector dish more than 400 feet below.

The US National Science Foundation had earlier announced that the Arecibo Observatory would be closed. An auxiliary cable snapped in August, causing a 100ft gash on the 1,000ft-wide (305m) reflector dish and damaged the receiver platform that hung above it. Then a main cable broke in early November.

The collapse stunned many scientists who had relied on what was until recently the largest radio telescope in the world.

“It’s a huge loss,” said Carmen Pantoja, an astronomer and professor at the University of Puerto Rico who used the telescope for her doctorate. “It was a chapter of my life.”

The real shame here is that Aricebo was unique among radio telescopes in that it was designed to both transmit and receive, making it the most powerful radar on Earth. It had an effective range of Saturn. We have lost a remarkable tool today. :(
gd Hero of Twilight
It’s sad but this could have been prevented. Arecibo radio-telescope’s budget was underfunded and thus they did not do nearly as much maintenance as was needed.

I’m glad I was able to go a few times during my childhood. It will live on in my memories. It would be great if they made a new replacement, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I will check my old albums. I might have pictures from beneath the dish hidden somewhere.
NASA runs a Radar Telescope as part of the Deep Space Network but compared to Arecibo it has almost halve the range (yes even though it is x20 times less powerful it is only about 1/2 range lost since the inverse square law) but it does have a greater 3 axis gimble so in the end it has roughly about the same area of coverage Arecibo had since it has that greater field of view to work with, just can't see as far out.
jkahless Custom Title
maurvir posted:
The real shame here is that Aricebo was unique among radio telescopes in that it was designed to both transmit and receive, making it the most powerful radar on Earth. It had an effective range of Saturn. We have lost a remarkable tool today. :(

IRRC, it was so powerful it's effective range was limited by the laws of physics and planetary motion.

It seems criminally negligent they didn't have a plan for dealing with a snapped cable. Relieving tackle should have been part of the original design to allow the safe replacement of cables, as well as at least one replacement cable. You don't get to wait months while a new structural part is is being fabbed, as they found out. :(
TOS
jkahless posted:
maurvir posted:

IRRC, it was so powerful it's effective range was limited by the laws of physics and planetary motion.

It seems criminally negligent they didn't have a plan for dealing with a snapped cable. Relieving tackle should have been part of the original design to allow the safe replacement of cables, as well as at least one replacement cable. You don't get to wait months while a new structural part is is being fabbed, as they found out. :(

in truth, that telescope has always been starved of funding, it lacked a high-profile advocate, and there was no way it was going to claim headline space in the middle of a pandemic and an election

basically it fell victim to squalid human institutions
TOS
jkahless posted:
maurvir posted:

in truth, that telescope has always been starved of funding, it lacked a high-profile advocate, and there was no way it was going to claim headline space in the middle of a pandemic and an election

Professor Abel Méndez's Twitter account has some coverage of the collapse including this video taken by aerial drones showing the damage done by the 900-ton receiver after one of its lines to the three towers holding it over Arecibo broke.
jkahless Custom Title
TOS posted:
jkahless posted:
maurvir posted:

Shoulda asked for the bells and whistles when it was part of the MIC. :(

So many investments in infrastructure, we're just letting go to ruin.
TOS
bloody heartbreaking

At least Carl isn't around to see that.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

End of the line for Arecibo