The curious tale of Nellie Bly

How's life?
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

The curious tale of Nellie Bly

Post by maurvir »

SINCE my experiences in Blackwell's Island Insane Asylum were published in the World I have received hundreds of letters in regard to it. The edition containing my story long since ran out, and I have been prevailed upon to allow it to be published in book form, to satisfy the hundreds who are yet asking for copies.

I am happy to be able to state as a result of my visit to the asylum and the exposures consequent thereon, that the City of New York has appropriated $1,000,000 more per annum than ever before for the care of the insane. So I have at least the satisfaction of knowing that the poor unfortunates will be the better cared for because of my work.
Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

Blackwells Island is now Roosevelt Island--not too long ago if you walked around you'd likely encounter Al Lewis (aka Grandpa Munster) who was was a political activist and often out and about.

Famous inmates of the jail there were Mae West (indecency), Emma Goldman (anarchist activities) and Billie Holiday (prostitution).

The little Islands around NYC have some interesting --and sometimes terribly dark histories, especially North Brother Island.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.