The Falklands penguins that would not explode

How's life?
jkahless
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

ukimalefu wrote:
TOS wrote: the brits have owned the falklands since before there was any such thing as argentina

no, i don't think so

Spain crossed the Atlantic like 100 years before the british

The French colonized first, then the British, then the Spanish whined France wasn't being fair and wwre given the French colony. Then the Spanish tried to kick the Brits out and succeeded, but whoops, turns out that's a bad move politically, so the Brits are invited back and apologized to. Then the Brits run out of money and take off, as do the Spanish, both promising to be back. British and American sailors use the islands as a refuge for a while, an American pirate hired by Argentina tries to colonize it, then another fellow gets permission from Argentina and the British to start a colony, pirates some American ships and gets his ass kicked by the Americans, then I think Argentina tried to set up a penal colony, it's leader was murdered by his own men, and the Brits showed back up and have been running the place since. Its really a fascinating piece of history. :)
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

ukimalefu wrote:
TOS wrote: the brits have owned the falklands since before there was any such thing as argentina

no, i don't think so

Spain != Argentina. Also, as noted in the article, France would have more of a claim than Spain based on having actually settled a town there. (The Spanish name for the islands is an adaption of the French name)
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

maurvir wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

no, i don't think so

Spain != Argentina. Also, as noted in the article, France would have more of a claim than Spain based on having actually settled a town there. (The Spanish name for the islands is an adaption of the French name)

ok, I shouldn't have assumed that spain got to that island first because they had a century of advantage. ukifail

Still, people in the falklands, or malvinas, want to be british? they should be. I am sure they are better off. I'm sure the UK does know they have an island down there. No argentinian government would take proper care of them, because latin america.
Old Yoda
Title: agitator

Post by Old Yoda »

The UK's Defense Of The Falkland Islands Costs A Staggering Amount Per Islander

McSmith reports that the military in the area will cost the UK £61 million ($96 million) in 2012-13, which is expected to increase by £2 million ($3.14 million) each year.

https://www.businessinsider.com/falklan ... ost-2012-2

The cost of empire.
Unlimited Growth is the Ideology of a Cancer Cell
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Old Yoda wrote:
The UK's Defense Of The Falkland Islands Costs A Staggering Amount Per Islander

McSmith reports that the military in the area will cost the UK £61 million ($96 million) in 2012-13, which is expected to increase by £2 million ($3.14 million) each year.

https://www.businessinsider.com/falklan ... ost-2012-2

The cost of empire.

It's also a "political investment", the message is to the whole world, look what we do... well americans know about that kind of "message" too :p
TOS

Post by TOS »

ukimalefu wrote:

no, i don't think so

and the spanish presence in south america collapsed in the early 1800s ... by the time argentines stopped killing each other long enough to found a nation, the brits had been in the falklands for decades
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

TOS wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

no, i don't think so

and the spanish presence in south america collapsed in the early 1800s ... by the time argentines stopped killing each other long enough to found a nation, the brits had been in the falklands for decades

I know very well about the early 1800s... ok, I know a bit, about the local stuff. And a couple of other nearby countries. Argentina back then?, not so much. :D
Robert B.
Title: Dandy Highwayman

Post by Robert B. »

Argentina hadn't been all that great since the 70s and 80s. Sure, they made it to the finals in 1990 and in 2014 with Messi, but West Germany and Germany just broke them.
"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Argentina is the only nation in South America in which real Spanish is spoken. An Argentinian told me so! He also tells anyone who will listen that maté is the only thing worth drinking. The guy was ok, but a major snob.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

obvs wrote: It's easy for outsiders to say that the Falklands should belong to the UK, because you're not part of the indigenous population of a country with another country claiming a tiny piece of land that by all geographic reasoning should be part of your country, land that was only gotten by the other country because it was an invading force in your land.

Falklands were uninhabited. Indigenous people weren't there.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

Have we decided whether a jumbo jet is used to reach it?
TOS

Post by TOS »

it was a c-17, does that count?
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
TOS

Post by TOS »

meanwhile, over at south georgia

A massive Antarctic iceberg the size of a small country is heading for the island of South Georgia with concerns it could disrupt the British territory’s economy and its wildlife.

Iceberg A-68A broke off the Larsen C ice shelf on the east of Antarctica’s peninsula in July 2017 and is about the same size as South Georgia, where it’s feared it could be heading.

A-68A, which is now 150km (93 miles) long and 48km (30 miles) wide, has since drifted about 1,400km north through an area known as “iceberg alley” to find itself about 500km away from South Georgia.

“It is absolutely huge and it’s the largest iceberg around in the Southern Ocean,” said Dr Sue Cook, a glaciologist at the Australian Antarctic Program Partnership.
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

ukimalefu wrote:

no, i don't think so

Ya, but Argentina did not become an independent country until the 1850s.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.