Harbor Freight Tools: Thoughts or Opinions?

Online now: maurvir
So, we're getting a Harbor Freight Tools in my area. Any thoughts or opinions? What I have heard:

-They buy tools directly from the manufacturers around the world, removing the middle men.
This is how they sell at such low prices.

-They buy tools that have been rejected on quality inspection by other manufacturers. This how they sell at such low prices.
macnuke Afar
price check them with Ali Express
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
If you need a specialty tool once, they can be a good deal. If you need it more than once, get a real one.
They're cheap, both in price and quality. That said, sometimes that's just fine.
jkahless Custom Title
Go to a pawn shop.
Kirk posted:
They're cheap, both in price and quality. That said, sometimes that's just fine.

Pretty much that.

Some tools are good. I bought a micrometer set there years ago and tested it with higher end gauge blocks and they were well within a half-thousandth of an inch.

I bought a hydraulic jack that's been working fine for years. Their jackstands had a recall in March, but I don't skimp on those.
jkahless Custom Title
j_tso posted:
Kirk posted:

Pretty much that.

Some tools are good. I bought a micrometer set there years ago and tested it with higher end gauge blocks and they were well within a half-thousandth of an inch.

I bought a hydraulic jack that's been working fine for years. Their jackstands had a recall in March, but I don't skimp on those.

That’s a good point, they do make some decent stuff. Hard to fiddlesticks up a steel rule too much.

I would definitely be wary of their power tools. I know people who have burnt out HF sanders in under a week. :shrug:
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Our Harbor Freight style store up here is Princess Auto. The products aren’t going to stack up against the high end tool makers, but if you’re not using the tool every day, you’re probably ok.

The general wisdom I’ve heard is, “buy the PA (HF) one, and if you use it enough to break it, buy a good one.”
dv
I wouldn't buy router bits of saw blades from them. And their power tools scare me. They just sound dangerous and I don't think they actually perform at advertised specs either. No power, speed is variable. I have a lot of wrenches and stuff (no moving parts) from them and those are ok.

But they often have higher end versions of their low end tools that are decent for the price. (e.g., Earthquake pneumatic stuff is cheap crap, but the earthquake XT is ok.)

I think a lot of folks find the return policy and extended warranties appealing. They really push those too - I doubt they actually make money on the tools.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Don’t they now own snap-on?
For router bits and similar, I suggest Rockler
https://www.rockler.com/
dv
Kirk posted:
For router bits and similar, I suggest Rockler
https://www.rockler.com/

Freud, specifically. Rockler also sells a "value" line that's better than most but still not great.

Seriously, even if you have cheap tools, spend the extra money on good blades/bits.
Thanks to all. So, it is pretty much what I thought:

-If you are going to use the tool on a daily basis, spend the cash for a good quality tool.

-If you just need it one time, or just on occasion, Harbor Freight is fine.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Harbor Freight Tools: Thoughts or Opinions?