Target

Online now: Metacell, ukimalefu
justine Elitist Beer Lover
So in a few weeks I’ve seen 3 different people post 3 different, but similar, stories about incidents at 3 different Targets in California. All 3 stories started off with “I don’t usually post things like this” and all are serious events. None of the events happened to the people that shared them. I am now questioning whether these stories are true or just random people trying to incite fear in the general public and using Target and Facebook to do this. The only other possible scenario is that all California Targets have become unsafe for everyone. Any thoughts?

Also, the problem that makes it believable is that incedents have happened in the past, but not any more often than anywhere else, including a serious incident at the one 2 miles from me. I only know that one happened because the entire bock was shut down for a manhunt. This was probably 2 or 3 years ago, though.

So, have you guys been reading any of these stories about Targets in your state?
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Haven’t seen that myself.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
I knew it, Michael Graves has gone too far.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I generally dismiss as blatherskite posts that claim to be a description of someone witnessing a newsworthy event that lacks a link to a reasonably legit news site. I do the same for the unsourced rage memes that are so common on Reddit.
There is an incredible amount of people spreading FUD for fun, profit or influence out there, extreme skepticism is warranted when you see posts like that.
Pariah posted:
I generally dismiss as blatherskite posts that claim to be a description of someone witnessing a newsworthy event that lacks a link to a reasonably legit news site. I do the same for the unsourced rage memes that are so common on Reddit.
There is an incredible amount of people spreading FUD for fun, profit or influence out there, extreme skepticism is warranted when you see posts like that.

The problem here, is most of the newsworthy events don't make the news. It's like they never happened. At least in Sacramento. The incident i mentioned i knew about was an attempted child molestation inside Targets bathroom. It shoulda been on every news site here for days. I had to hunt for it, it was little. more than a blurb. We're talking cops, undercover cops, and helicopter.

These new things just seem kinda fake. Too many at different california targets in a relatively short amount of time and all start the same way.
jkahless Custom Title
Most things don't make the news. If there's a bridge near you, there's a suicide problem there you don't know about. The world is a terrible place.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
look for different sources, more than one, news sources you trust, not social media
ukimalefu posted:
look for different sources, more than one, news sources you trust, not social media

I don't look for news on Social Media. I'm just saying these items are being shared and most things aren't in the news, especially when a crime hasn't actually been committed. Still, i wouldve expected some type of warning and any news agency picking up thee stories would report all, "this is the third Tsrget in California blah blah blah".
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Target's always been a sort of skeever-pit no-man's-land to me. With good prices.
Sounds like some of what you are hearing is urban legend type stuff. For example, there may be an incident
at a Target store, and someone posts something about it. Someone else reads this, and re-posts it, and adds something to it, just to make it sound better. It could also be as you thought: Some people like to spread panic and fear. i.e. "I heard that McDonald's burgers are really made from ground up earthworms, that's why they can sell them so cheaply!" Total nonsense, but some believe it.
Metacell, they don't actually have good prices unless youre comparing to a place like Walgreens or CVS. They're more expensive than Wal Mart.

Enigma, that's probably true since Target being as big as it is, multiple similar incidents shoulda been known to the media.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Target is the Walmart for people who don't want to be seen in a Walmart. There is an upcharge for that service.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
We didn't have Wal*Mart growing up, we had K-Mart, and I definitely saw YoMAMA shopping there.
macnuke Afar
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
justine posted:
Metacell, they don't actually have good prices unless youre comparing to a place like Walgreens or CVS. They're more expensive than Wal Mart.\

There have been many price comparisons done. Most items come within a few cents of one another in price, but Target tends to have higher quality items and when they do have a discount, they're usually significantly cheaper than Walmart.

My local Target can't keep its shelves stocked. I get so frustrated trying to shop in person in general, but I used to really enjoy going to Target. Haven't had a good experience in years.

Also, Target has a minimum wage of $15 and manages to stay competitive on price. How are employees at Walmart faring these days?
juice Inadvertently correct
Séamas Honorary Consul General
There is a Target near where I work--it's not a particularly large one, but it is definitely a step or two up from a Walmart / KMart experience in terms of quality of merchandise, cleanliness, staff / customer service.
The prices aren't as low as Walmart, but they do a MUCH better job of getting people through checkout quickly.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I have nothing against Target at all but there is something about the lighting, color scheme and layout that makes it pretty much impossible for me to buy anything there. It is like just walking into a Target just sucks the desire to buy right out of me.

I have no idea why.
dv
Pariah posted:
I have nothing against Target at all but there is something about the lighting, color scheme and layout that makes it pretty much impossible for me to buy anything there. It is like just walking into a Target just sucks the desire to buy right out of me.

I have no idea why.

Everything about the store is calculated to get people to buy more stuff and spend more money, so I'd suspect it's pure contrary stubbornness on your part.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
dv posted:
Pariah posted:

I have no idea why.

Everything about the store is calculated to get people to buy more stuff and spend more money, so I'd suspect it's pure contrary stubbornness on your part.

Yep, wouldn't be the first time. I am not nuero-typical and I have always been able to feel the manipulation, it is like an annoying noise.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Target