Little motors, big noises

Page: 1, 2
Online now: j_tso
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
My hatred of noisy lawn equipment boarders on the irrational. I'm sure it's not helped by working from home this summer.

Thankfully, I have a fairly spread out and quiet neighborhood, and no one who maintains their yards to suburban standards. But still, whenever I hear a lawn mower start up, or gods forgive - a leaf blower, I get stupid angry.

Yes, it is stupid.

Here's my plea: If you are replacing equipment such as a lawn mower and it is at all practical for your situation, go electric. The technology has improved tremendously in recent years. They're better for the environment. There is less to fix or maintain. And it is SO MUCH QUIETER.

/PSA plea
Séamas Honorary Consul General
I am with you on noise, but I really can't hear a lawnmower that is more than 2-3 houses down from me.

Since Tuesday my neighborhood has been buzzing with the sounds of generators and chain saws.

My peeve is cars and motorcycles that I can hear even though they are close to a mile away.

The electric option would just be impractical for my yard, I'd need considerable $$ to have a charging station in my shed, and I am not gonna go back to having lawn equipment in my basement.

I do have a reel mower and use that from time to time, but it tends to only do a good job on areas where the lawn is in great shape.

Malkin posted:
There is less to fix or maintain.

I can buy a new mower for about the same price as an electric mower's battery.

The maintenance on a simple push gas lawnmower is pretty basic.
The electric? I don't know where I would start if it konked out.
Séamas posted:

The electric option would just be impractical for my yard, I'd need considerable $$ to have a charging station in my shed, and I am not gonna go back to having lawn equipment in my basement.

You can buy a new mower for $50? I've had my greenworks mower for years and never had to replace the battery. Paid $225 for the entire thing. It's maintenance free. Comparably lightweight. I can still mow my entire yard on a single charge.

Where do you charge the batteries for your other tools?

Ribtor posted:

I want this! It would go great with my Hoover Constellation. Image
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Malkin posted:
Séamas posted:

You can buy a new mower for $50? I've had my greenworks mower for years and never had to replace the battery. Paid $225 for the entire thing. It's maintenance free. Comparably lightweight. I can still mow my entire yard on a single charge.

Where do you charge the batteries for your other tools?

I'm seeing $150 for battery for a lawnmower.
I am going by Consumer Reports-- for a mower suggested for my sized lawn. Even though the page is very enthusiastic for electric, once you get to ~1/2 acre of mowing it starts to suggest gas mowers. Most people who come to my house are surprised I don't use a riding mower.

The only other tool batteries I have are from my drill and orbital sander which are in my basement.
Yes, if you’re into riding lawn mower territory, I would agree that an electric push mower would not be practical for your situation.

Brand name replacement battery for my mower is $50 on Amazon. Could probably find it cheaper on sale. As I said; the technology has come a long way.
jkahless Custom Title
I’ve always wanted to learn to use a scythe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGNTYPmeLXk
Consider using headphones to block most of it, Malkin. I like to use mine when we run the dishwasher
dv
I have an electric leaf blower (it's just the top half of my shop vac, running in reverse. ON eof those convertible units.) But it's pretty loud.
gd Hero of Twilight
Séamas posted:
My peeve is cars and motorcycles that I can hear even though they are close to a mile away.

My v8 car is plenty loud enough with a custom exhaust, but I think I'm going to straight pipe it and have it sing the song of my people outside your home. ;)

What annoys me the most is people who drive by your home with what has got to be the most trash music ever blaring out of the car's speakers at max volume, loud enough that you can hear every single panel of the car rattling. I understand that you like listening to drivel, but could you please not force me to listen to a misogynistic song about drugs, women, and money?
Write it down everyone. Today, gd became not just an adult, but an old man. ;)
jkahless Custom Title
gd posted:
Séamas posted:

My v8 car is plenty loud enough with a custom exhaust, but I think I'm going to straight pipe it and have it sing the song of my people outside your home. ;)

Your people are uncouth individuals? I’m a fan of purcussive accompaniment personally. ;). Let me get my baseball bat and we can play a duet.
macnuke Afar
1972 I wanted the loudest on the street.

Now I buy the quietest tires I can get... and when I can get an electric truck that looks like a truck, I will get even more quiet.
jkahless Custom Title
I don't even like it when people walk loudly.
dv
I am a happy owner of a car that I have trouble hearing at idle. It's not even all that quiet - my housemate's is quieter most of the time - but it's light years ahead of my previous vehicles.

I live close enough to a highway that this is a very real problem.

They figured out how to make brooms louder.

Years ago, Rev brought home an electric snow shovel. Seems like one of the goofiest things ever. It's still sitting in my garage, untouched. I should probably try to sell it in a couple of months.
jkahless Custom Title
I'm less likely to complain about snowblowers, shoveling snow is punishing on the human body.
No arguments there.
dv
Malkin posted:
Years ago, Rev brought home an electric snow shovel. Seems like one of the goofiest things ever. It's still sitting in my garage, untouched. I should probably try to sell it in a couple of months.

A friend of mine was skeptical but ended up really liking his. You might give it a whirl before you get rid of it.
gd Hero of Twilight
macaddict4life posted:
Write it down everyone. Today, gd became not just an adult, but an old man. ;)

I felt like I immediately aged 40 years after I wrote that. :cry:

jkahless posted:

Your people are uncouth individuals? I’m a fan of purcussive accompaniment personally. ;). Let me get my baseball bat and we can play a duet.

jkahless posted:

How does someone "walk loudly"?

dv posted:
I am a happy owner of a car that I have trouble hearing at idle. It's not even all that quiet - my housemate's is quieter most of the time - but it's light years ahead of my previous vehicles.

I live close enough to a highway that this is a very real problem.

Ugh, I can appreciate a loud V8, V10, or V12 car doing a flyby nearby at 11 am, but a 4 banger civic with a fartcan at 3 am is unbearable. I like my car, it's loud when I want it to be, yet quiet when I need it.

Ribtor posted:
They figured out how to make brooms louder.

When is something like this useful?
jkahless Custom Title
gd posted:
jkahless posted:

:lol:

gd posted:
jkahless posted:

How does someone "walk loudly"?

Some people are light on their feet, other people clomp around like elephants. It's even worse in the woods, where walking quietly is a skill. It's amazing how much more you hear when you're good at being quiet.

I frequently have people complain that I sneak up on them. :lol:
Malkin posted:
My hatred of noisy lawn equipment boarders on the irrational. I'm sure it's not helped by working from home this summer.

Thankfully, I have a fairly spread out and quiet neighborhood, and no one who maintains their yards to suburban standards. But still, whenever I hear a lawn mower start up, or gods forgive - a leaf blower, I get stupid angry.

Yes, it is stupid.

Here's my plea: If you are replacing equipment such as a lawn mower and it is at all practical for your situation, go electric. The technology has improved tremendously in recent years. They're better for the environment. There is less to fix or maintain. And it is SO MUCH QUIETER.

/PSA plea

You are not alone. The noise of a 2-stroke motor, any of them, is one of the most aggravating sounds I know.
gd posted:

For making the new guy on the job site who has to do all the cleanup and scut-work feel like one of the regular guys by giving him a loud power tool?
juice Inadvertently correct
Dogs who bark at their shadow all damn day are even more annoying.

I’m an animal lover, but ownership should require a modicum of training.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
My neighbors across the creek.
They've always got something running. Weed eater, lawnmower, four wheeler, dirt bike, power washer, air compressor, power saw ... you name it, they've got it; and something seems to be running all the time.
They also have dogs. Hunting dogs. locked up in a pin. and baying at whatever moves all night long.
[exasperated eye roll]
dv
Ribtor posted:
gd posted:

For making the new guy on the job site who has to do all the cleanup and scut-work feel like one of the regular guys by giving him a loud power tool?

For sweeping a garage or something it seems like setup and maintenance would make it less useful than a push broom.

But I guess if I had to remove every grain of dirt from something the size of a basketball or tennis court there might be some advantage.
dv posted:
Malkin posted:

A friend of mine was skeptical but ended up really liking his. You might give it a whirl before you get rid of it.

Does your friend deal with Lake Effect snow and have a driveway the size of a small parking lot?

I could see such a thing being useful further south or in a place where maybe one only had a small sidewalk to clear.

I say this as a born and bred Minnesotan who never owned a snowblower till I moved to my current residence. It would quite likely take me literally all day to shovel out now if I had to.
dv
Malkin posted:
dv posted:
Malkin posted:

Does your friend deal with Lake Effect snow and have a driveway the size of a small parking lot?

I could see such a thing being useful further south or in a place where maybe one only had a small sidewalk to clear.

I say this as a born and bred Minnesotan who never owned a snowblower till I moved to my current residence. It would quite likely take me literally all day to shovel out now if I had to.

Nah, just a typical suburban home in Maple Grove. But he was a farm a kid and doesn't suffer inferior tools happily.

It's your driveway. :shrug:
Got to have the right tool for the job. That's all I'm saying. :)
jkahless Custom Title
I’ll never forget the day the deck gang figured “why shovel the snow, we have a firehose, let’s just melt it off!”

Several tons of water later... it did not melt.

:lol:
jkahless Custom Title
Fortunately, they had strong shovels, and I was working on the bridge and got to watch. :lol:
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
somebody is grinding something around me, at least it sounds like something like this

TOS
jkahless posted:
Fortunately, they had strong shovels, and I was working on the bridge and got to watch. :lol:

so you didn't capsize, then?
jkahless Custom Title
Oh, it was a biiiiiiig boat.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
I am reading this at 8:30 PM wanting to record some vocals for my multi-track recording, but I can't because my goddamn neighbor across the street (who is normally a great dude) is mowing his stick fiddling lawn. It's dark, and he's mowing his lawn. :mad:
gd Hero of Twilight
Pithecanthropus posted:
I am reading this at 8:30 PM wanting to record some vocals for my multi-track recording, but I can't because my goddamn neighbor across the street (who is normally a great dude) is mowing his stick fiddling lawn. It's dark, and he's mowing his lawn. :mad:

Probably had a fight with his wife and needs to blow off steam.
macnuke Afar
gd posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

Probably had a fight with his wife and needs to blow off steam.

"lack of kitty makes you brave, man"
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Addendum: after 45 minutes of mowing, he brought out his leaf blower. He finally finished at 9:30. I never did get those vocals recorded.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Little motors, big noises

Page: 1, 2