Know anything about HVAC ?

Online now: avkills, Google [Bot]
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
It appears my condensation line is clogged up. I googled it and tried the recommendations, including sucking the pipe out with a shop vac, but it didn't fix it.
I'm considering pouring Liquid Plumber down the pipe, It's just PVC plumbing after all.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Yeah try sodium hydroxide solution. Plug the bottom end so it doesn't drip out as soon as it starts working and fill it with solution. Give it a half hour.

If that doesn't work it's time to try acid too ( since its pvc). But only if you can somehow pour back out the alkali first and rinse it, which might be impossible. If you decide to try acid be very wary of the ends of the tube. Alkali meeting acid could mean boiling acid or base shooting out the ends
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Be cautious with the chemicals, but yes, those are pretty much the options.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
sodium hydroxide solution

THis reminded me. When we were kids, my friends and I once put Draino, strips of aluminum foil and a little water in a glass coke bottle and inflated balloons with the gas boiling out of the bottle, and let them fly. We tied notes to them with our address' and ask the finder to write us and tell us how far it had traveled. We only go one reply. It was from West Virginia about 200 miles away.
Come to think about it, if we'd done that for science class, instead of just out of boredom, we could have gotten extra credit ...
macnuke Afar
you try a snake?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
No, I haven't tried a snake yet.
Got one around here somewhere ...
macnuke Afar
One of the first things I do on a purchase is cut the pvc and put in a y connect just to make snaking easy. I usually chase it. Annually when the ac gets its checkup.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
macnuke posted:
One of the first things I do on a purchase is cut the pvc and put in a y connect just to make snaking easy. I usually chase it. Annually when the ac gets its checkup.

Our last house had a T fitting just for that - then the idiots glued the cap on.
macnuke Afar
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
LOL!
Well, at least the cap came off.
I poured clorox down it, (as recommended by a couple of you tubes), and that seems to have worked. I should know in about 12 hours.
macnuke Afar
you still need to chase it.. when the the humidity is low and you don't get the condensation, pipe dries and that stuff petrifies. or at least douche it a couple times.
Chlorox is not your best option unless the line was plugged with organics, like slime or moss.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
:shrug:

Seems to have worked. I think algae was sited as the culprit in these clogs, but what do I know?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Know anything about HVAC ?