Random people around the US are getting...

Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], Metacell
...mystery seeds from China.

Some packages have been labeled as jewelry.

Authorities warn that people should NOT plant them as they could be invasive species.

Anyone who has gotten such seeds should contact their local police department or their state's Department of Agriculture or the US Agriculture Department for proper disposal.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
They've been showing up around here.
https://www.wymt.com/2020/07/27/suspici ... ie-county/

I mean, hasn't some State U botanist identified these yet?
macnuke Afar
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
We're living in a simulation. I swear to God.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
obvs posted:

I pray we are, actually. It means there is a chance the next run won't end so horrifically for a possible alternate us.
maurvir posted:
obvs posted:

I pray we are, actually. It means there is a chance the next run won't end so horrifically for a possible alternate us.
But what the fiddlesticks is happening here? It's like we're in The Sims and whoever was running the place just decided to start dicking around.

"Okay, so we're going to put a giant orange baby in charge of everything, and then, oh yeah, we're going to have a plague that just kills a huge number of people, and then oh yeah, people are going to start receiving mystery seeds in the mail."

:derp:
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
obvs posted:
maurvir posted:
obvs posted:

But what the fiddlesticks is happening here? It's like we're in The Sims and whoever was running the place just decided to start dicking around.

"Okay, so we're going to put a giant orange baby in charge of everything, and then, oh yeah, we're going to have a plague that just kills a huge number of people, and then oh yeah, people are going to start receiving mystery seeds in the mail."

Hey, did you ever play SimCity 2000? I can't be the only one that eventually got fed up with a city and wrecked it with every natural disaster in the game. :shrug:
DukeofNuke posted:
[snip]
I mean, hasn't some State U botanist identified these yet?

My impression is that while within a particular packet of seeds they appear to be from one species, the seeds have varied between packets.
maurvir posted:
obvs posted:
maurvir posted:
obvs posted:

Hey, did you ever play SimCity 2000? I can't be the only one that eventually got fed up with a city and wrecked it with every natural disaster in the game. :shrug:
Oh I was too dumb to understand how SimCity worked.

I literally could not understand how the game worked.

Kind of like whoever's playing this game.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
If I get those seeds packs I am planting some immediately.
juice Inadvertently correct
Pariah posted:
If I get those seeds packs I am planting some immediately.

In a controlled environment, maybe. I would never do that outside. That's how noxious weeds have spread almost worldwide.
Later report says that the seeds appear to be innocuous but also indicate that your online ID has been compromised. Reportedly some of the seeds may be coated with something which may be a pesticide or fungicide which could affect local plants or fungi.
Quote:
The Agriculture Department has said the packages are most likely part of a "brushing" scam, in which a seller sends unsolicited items to someone and then posts false positive customer reviews to boost sales.

"Brushing scams involving seed packets in international mail shipments are not uncommon," the USDA said. "U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has intercepted similar seed shipments in recent years."

Phylissia Clark of the Better Business Bureau told CBS DFW that if you are a victim of brushing, "your identity has been compromised."

"Somebody knows enough about you to create a profile online and use you to manipulate systems," Clark said.

I'm a little concerned there's a biological payload on some of those
TOS
sounds like a cheap and easy way to spread paranoia
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Random people around the US are getting...