Gluten Free Products

Online now: Google [Bot], juice, Majestic-12 [Bot]
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Anyone here have any recommendations for GF products? My granddaughter has Celiacs and is refusing to eat GF products because "they don't taste good". The thing is, she really hasn't tried any. I just found out Fruity Pebbles are GF, so i bought some for her. I also found some snacks that are made by Cold Stone that are also GF. The problem is that they're hard to find. I'm looking more for mainstream products that a teenager might like. She's actually choosing to eat what she wants and then spends the day in pain because of it. I just thought if i could find stuff she might be familiar with, then she'd move away from the stuff that's making her sick.
dv
Those little corn tortillas. (Big pack of 36 for like $3.) Usually labelled as gluten free now, but they've always been. Toast them, don't microwave them.

Obviously, the "trick" is what you put in the tortilla. We had fish tacos last week and some veggie fajitas the week before.

Beans and cheese, then toast it in a pan, when I was poor.

We're not trying to eat gluten free or anything, but we trend heavily towards meat and vegetables, with minimal carbs, so it ends up happening a lot anyway.

Homemade stir fry too, served over rice. (Also gluten free.)

I'd also take a look at this food blog. I've got their cookbook and not a single recipe hasn't been awesome.

https://cookieandkate.com/gluten-free-recipes/
Thanks, dv. I may pick up a GF cookbook for my own knowledge and i'm going to pass the blog onto my daughter.

What i'd really like to know, since it's a teen we're talking about, are there any gluten free junk food type things she can have. My daughters good at the recipe/cooking thing, but the snacks a teen would want are a little tough to find. It's easy for me to say she needs to eat healthy to avoid the stomach pain, but she's a teenager and she wants junk. This probably would've been easier had she been diagnosed years ago. They wasted years on misdiagnoses.
dv
The gluten free section in our local grocery store has a wide variety of snack foods. (Rice crackers, cookies, etc.) Some are pretty good, but they're pricey.
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
What gluten is is protein within wheat(and barley and rye) that makes it chewy, like bread, instead of light, like cake. The more gluten in your flour, the more chewy, and the less gluten, the lighter and more cakey.

"All purpose" flour has an amount of flour which isn't really ideal for bread and not ideal for cake, but it's kind of in the middle, and will work for most kinds of food.

In my experience, gluten-free stuff tends to just be more like cake rather than like bread(which makes sense, because that's what it is).

Most (but not all) wheat-free products tend to be naturally gluten-free. If you look for foods made from whole-grain oats, whole-grain rice, or whole-grain corn, they may help point you in the right direction.

Please verify that individual foods you find are gluten free. This information is likely to point you in the right direction, but isn't a guarantee. Some products may seem gluten-free at first sight, but aren't.

Things like cheese and meats and eggs are also gluten-free. Fruits and vegetables are gluten-free.

French fries are usually gluten-free. Tacos are usually gluten-free.
Thanks, obvs. I really had no idea what gluten was or what it did, and i don't really know why she would rather be sick and in pain than eat good if that's all it is. It's funny cause she has it in her head that all the gluten free stuff is awful. I found Fruity Pebbles is GF and asked her if she liked them, and got a resounding yes. I responded "well, guess what? They're GF." I think she was surprised and may be more open to trying other stuff.

DV, i'll have to check for an a GF aisle. I'm almost afraid to ask in the store simply because of the reaction you get from some people when you say you want/need GF products. Most people think it's a fad or a phase when there are people that it is necessary for them to avoid GF products.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Sounds like a lot of my friends who got diagnosed with diabetes as teenagers. It's a real struggle at that age. Does she have any peer support groups who could help influence her?
dv
justine posted:
Thanks, obvs. I really had no idea what gluten was or what it did, and i don't really know why she would rather be sick and in pain than eat good if that's all it is. It's funny cause she has it in her head that all the gluten free stuff is awful. I found Fruity Pebbles is GF and asked her if she liked them, and got a resounding yes. I responded "well, guess what? They're GF." I think she was surprised and may be more open to trying other stuff.

DV, i'll have to check for an a GF aisle. I'm almost afraid to ask in the store simply because of the reaction you get from some people when you say you want/need GF products. Most people think it's a fad or a phase when there are people that it is necessary for them to avoid GF products.

Gluten free versions of products that typically are made with wheat flour do taste different. I could see disliking them. But so many things are gluten free already that to me it's kind of weird to subject yourself to intestinal pain just to have that slice of bread.

And if the employees at store X don't want to do their jobs and tell you where stuff is, fiddlesticks 'em and their judgement. They don't know you.
Check the bags, but most corn based snacks are gluten free. Same for potato products. So chips are ok, but not Pringles. Cheetos are ok. A lot of chocolate is ok, but check the ingredients for Barley Malt, as that is gluten. Most gummy or sour candy is ok, but always look at the ingredients. Most locative type products use wheat flour, so no Twizzlers.

The big problem is bread products. There really isn’t a great gluten free bread. Gluten free pasta is actually pretty decent.

I don’t know about the US, but in Canada we have a little allergen label directly under the ingredients list.
Warin: the 2 things i just got had a label. One was just a notice on the box that said Gluten Free! The other was a circle with GF in it which looked more like a universal symbol than the other. The problem is, finding these labels on products in a sea of products, especially if they don't all put it (the labelling) in the same place.
justine posted:
Warin: the 2 things i just got had a label. One was just a notice on the box that said Gluten Free! The other was a circle with GF in it which looked more like a universal symbol than the other. The problem is, finding these labels on products in a sea of products, especially if they don't all put it (the labelling) in the same place.

Not every gluten free product will have the GF symbol. It is important to pick up the habit of scanning the ingredients list when you are buying food.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
dv posted:
Those little corn tortillas. (Big pack of 36 for like $3.) Usually labelled as gluten free now, but they've always been. Toast them, don't microwave them.

Obviously, the "trick" is what you put in the tortilla. We had fish tacos last week and some veggie fajitas the week before.

I wasn't sure about fish tacos until my daughter wanted to try making some. OMG, I was missing out. Those things are epic.

We made ours with blackened Mahi tuna, homemade pico, and some leftover guac from the local Mexican place. We devoured those things almost instantly. :up:
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
Yeah, I remember the first time I heard about trying a fish taco. It didn't sound good.

But they were totally delicious.
juice Inadvertently correct
Now I want fish tacos. Damn you people.
jkahless Custom Title
Corn tortillas are dead easy to make at home too!
I hate fish! LOL
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
I only eat fresh corn tortillas. Store bought ones are gross.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
juice posted:
Now I want fish tacos. Damn you people.

This.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Fish tacos frickin' rock.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Shrimp tacos too.
justine posted:
I hate fish! LOL

Agree!
macnuke Afar
macaddict4life posted: