The real Lord of the Flies is a happy story

Online now: Google [Bot], juice, Majestic-12 [Bot], Pariah
ukimalefu Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.
Quote:
When a group of schoolboys were marooned on an island in 1965, it turned out very differently from William Golding’s bestseller, writes Rutger Bregman

Quote:
In the 6 October 1966 edition of Australian newspaper The Age, a headline jumped out at me: “Sunday showing for Tongan castaways”. The story concerned six boys who had been found three weeks earlier on a rocky islet south of Tonga, an island group in the Pacific Ocean. The boys had been rescued by an Australian sea captain after being marooned on the island of ‘Ata for more than a year.

Quote:
The boys, once aboard, claimed they were students at a boarding school in Nuku‘alofa, the Tongan capital. Sick of school meals, they had decided to take a fishing boat out one day, only to get caught in a storm. Likely story, Peter thought. Using his two-way radio, he called in to Nuku‘alofa. “I’ve got six kids here,” he told the operator. “Stand by,” came the response. Twenty minutes ticked by. (As Peter tells this part of the story, he gets a little misty-eyed.) Finally, a very tearful operator came on the radio, and said: “You found them! These boys have been given up for dead. Funerals have been held. If it’s them, this is a miracle!”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... -15-months

Last edited by ukimalefu on Tue May 12, 2020 10:36 am.

maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Thanks, I needed that. Sometimes I forget that people actually can work together and survive the seemingly impossible. :up:
The school I went to in the U.K. in the 70s was Lord Of The Flies.

Second form English boys are savages.
This summer a documentary about the 6 Tongan castaway boys will be released. At the top of the link is a YouTube trailer.

It will feature one of those boys--Kolo Fekitoa--returning to that island in 2015 with the documentary maker to replicate what he had done (but for only 10 days).

Fekitoa died in 2017.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The real Lord of the Flies is a happy story