Online now: Google [Bot]
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Murder Hornets!

Invasive giant hornets have been spotted in the US for the first time

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/03/us/washi ... index.html
TOS
when i first saw that, i thought it was a glitch-post of a 1970s news headline
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I saw this! Hopefully they contain them!
Good luck with that. I don't look forward to a sting that ranks a 9 on the pain scale.
They are reasonably common here, particularly in the mountains. They are terrifying, and their sting is supposed to be among the worst in the world, but they are supposedly not particularly aggressive toward people and stings are pretty rare.
I've seen these wasps on Japanese Bug Fights and it's their jaws that do a number to other bugs.

Import and breed Japanese honey bees? They have an evolved defense tactic, unlike Western bees that just sting one at a time.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
The honey bees are my biggest concern. They are already having problems, and without them our food supply is royally stick fiddled.
macnuke Afar
DukeofNuke posted:
The honey bees are my biggest concern. They are already having problems, and without them our food supply is royally stick fiddled.

and going halfway across the country to pollinate the almonds then return home doesn't fiddlesticks them up enough
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
This whole pandemic thing should have us rethinking our whole supply chain system.
I said should. As long as the oligarchs are in power I don't see that happening.
macnuke Afar
chains cost money. we have no chains anymore. producer to consumer. shorter chains = lower cost.. it's all america wants.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
TOS
ukimalefu Canadized
however wasps deserve to die anyway as a general rule
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Kirk posted:

I want to agree, but no, wasps serve a useful purpose. It's really on mosquitoes that we could eradicate with no harmful affects on the environment.

Now, as for the "murder hornets" - if it's not nearly 1.5" across or better, it's not a giant Asian hornet. Also, there was apparently *1* found, dead, in Washington state. The odds of you seeing one on the east coast are pretty slim.
dv
maurvir posted:
Kirk posted:

I want to agree, but no, wasps serve a useful purpose. It's really on mosquitoes that we could eradicate with no harmful affects on the environment.

That would actually cause ecosystem collapse. Bats, small birds, etc., all the way up the food chain.
Old Yoda agitator
Kirk posted:

No figs for you. :p
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
dv posted:
maurvir posted:
Kirk posted:

That would actually cause ecosystem collapse. Bats, small birds, etc., all the way up the food chain.

https://www.nature.com/news/2010/100721 ... 6432a.html

Nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. ;)
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

2020 jus' keeps gettin' better!