So how's about them UFOs?

Online now: Lombo
Any opinions on The Pentagon officially acknowledging that the UFO videos are legit?

Kind of a anticlimactic reveal, if this is the purpose. Wonder if we get to find how much of the US gov't is actually lizard people, next.

Vid 1
Vid 2
Vid 3
juice Inadvertently correct
What would Mulder do?
He would want to believe.
TOS
i mean the videos are pretty goddam weird tho

just for once i'd like to see a serious investigation instead of knee-jerk mockery
ukimalefu Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.
A of people these days have 4k video cameras with optical zoom in their phones. Where are are all those super HD UFO videos?
The military have acknowledged the existence of UFOs since their radar operators coined the term. I've personally seen many UFOs.
Ribtor posted:
The military have acknowledged the existence of UFOs since their radar operators coined the term. I've personally seen many UFOs.

What needs to change, but probably won't, is the belief that UFO means "alien spacecraft".
ukimalefu posted:
What needs to change, but probably won't, is the belief that UFO means "alien spacecraft".

Casually breaking the laws of physics as we understand them is rather cool. Knowing human governments have this capability would be in one way comforting, in another unsettling, but I personally don't think it's "us."
Séamas Honorary Consul General
I think it is way too soon to assume there is an actual "breaking of the laws of physics".
Lombo Opiofiend
We haven’t seen them fly away. The pilots did. If I remember correctly one of them appeared on JRE and told that it was physics breaking behaviour that he observed.
Lombo posted:
We haven’t seen them fly away. The pilots did. If I remember correctly one of them appeared on JRE and told that it was physics breaking behaviour that he observed.

Here's the problem: the first thing a scientist should think of when observing such "physics breaking behaviour" is to try to figure out why his observation was WRONG rather than compliment the "aliens" with "MAN! Those guys can really move!"
yelow posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Casually breaking the laws of physics as we understand them is rather cool. Knowing human governments have this capability would be in one way comforting, in another unsettling, but I personally don't think it's "us."

I belive that if we don't know what it was, we don't know what it was.

I'd LOVE IT, if aliens were found, with proof, evidence. But I'm tired of bad quality, blurry, black and white videos.

Also, it could be us. Instead of aliens, time travelers from the future

Or people/beings from an parallel universe.
Are we all on the same page?

When a radar operator declares something to be a UFO that doesn't mean aliens, spaceships, or secret military anti-gravity plane from area 51 built from a crashed alien mothership. It just means they haven't yet identified the object.

"Military confirms the existence of UFOs!!!!" "Actual documented proof that the military has been tracking UFOs!" etc.

We know what this really means, right?
TOS
Ribtor posted:
Are we all on the same page?

When a radar operator declares something to be a UFO that doesn't mean aliens, spaceships, or secret military anti-gravity plane from area 51 built from a crashed alien mothership. It just means they haven't yet identified the object.

"Military confirms the existence of UFOs!!!!" "Actual documented proof that the military has been tracking UFOs!" etc.

We know what this really means, right?

yes, unidentified, mysterious, unknown ... thanks for lecturing

the apparent non-ballistic behaviour and extreme changes in speed is bizarre, and when even veteran fighter pilots are baffled, it's okay for us to be baffled too

it's okay to even -- dare i say it -- speculate!
Veteran fighter pilots have been documented in observing --and being baffled -- by flying objects moving at insane speed before.
Only they misjudged the distance they thought the object was situated. Turned out to be flying insects.

The "veteran fighter pilot baffled' is no different than the "scientist baffled" headline.
Séamas posted:
Veteran fighter pilots have been documented in observing --and being baffled -- by flying objects moving at insane speed before.
Only they misjudged the distance they thought the object was situated. Turned out to be flying insects.

The "veteran fighter pilot baffled' is no different than the "scientist baffled" headline.

Bugs don't show up on radar like that, however as far as judgement goes my dad used to fly with fighter pilots as a backseat engineer for test and checkout flights in the 70s. Even experienced pilots can get tunnel vision and end up flying upside down without even realising it. There's full and partial disorientation. A great deal of expensive technology goes into trying to design out the overworked, excited and stressed human brain from high performance aircraft.
Ribtor posted:
Séamas posted:

Bugs don't show up on radar like that, however as far as judgement goes my dad used to fly with fighter pilots as a backseat engineer for test and checkout flights in the 70s. Even experienced pilots can get tunnel vision and end up flying upside down without even realising it. There's full and partial disorientation. A great deal of expensive technology goes into trying to design out the overworked, excited and stressed human brain from high performance aircraft.

I wasn't suggesting THIS was a bug, just that "experienced fighter pilots" are not necessarily the gold standard to assessing the laws of physics.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
A great deal of expensive technology

Like, cameras and radar that corroborate the pilots WTF reaction.
TOS
Séamas posted:
Ribtor posted:
Séamas posted:

I wasn't suggesting THIS was a bug, just that "experienced fighter pilots" are not necessarily the gold standard to assessing the laws of physics.

nobody said it was
The Bad Astronomer on the "recently" released UFO videos.

"recently" in quotes because these videos were released by the Pentagon in 2017.

While BA does include his own thinking about these videos with some additional information, what he mostly does is repeat what Mick West had written BACK IN 2017 at his own web site Metabunk.org. Because of the recent flurry West has added an update dated April 27th which collected links to his previous posts about each of the three videos.

Here is West's debunking of the GOFAST video (yelow's Vid 2) showing how a viewer--when focused upon a slower-moving foreground object--can believe that that object is moving very quickly against a distant background.

EDIT: fixed my incorrect credit to uki. Sorry, yelow.

Last edited by DEyncourt on Sun May 03, 2020 9:41 am.

Lombo Opiofiend
jkahless Custom Title
Hell, I’ve even picked up UFOs on marine radar.
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
BobFlexner posted:
Madler cool
Okay, "Bob".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoRXhS7vlU
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I will give some credibility to UFO sightings when I start seeing sharp, well lighted, 4k video capturing UFOs. As long as it is only super low res, monochrome vids I will remain skeptical.
I say this because here we are, 20 years into the availability of relatively cheap, digital image capture devices and all of the UFO stuff still looks like it was shot in the 50's using 8mm amateur film cams.
Pariah posted:
sharp, well lighted, 4k video capturing UFOs

A sharp well lit 4k video of an object that is a hundred of miles away will mean you'll have 10 or 15 sharp, 4k pixels of information about the UFO and great trees and pavement in the periphery.

It's better to have a low-res recording through an amazing telephoto lens. Phone cameras are still only good for maybe 50 foot, better ones can be decent at 50 yards.
TOS
Pariah posted:
I will give some credibility to UFO sightings when I start seeing sharp, well lighted, 4k video capturing UFOs. As long as it is only super low res, monochrome vids I will remain skeptical.
I say this because here we are, 20 years into the availability of relatively cheap, digital image capture devices and all of the UFO stuff still looks like it was shot in the 50's using 8mm amateur film cams.

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

So how's about them UFOs?