LED replacement's for T8 tubes...

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
The previous homeowner of our house installed some under-mount fluorescent lighting kits in the kitchen. They worked well enough, but one of the tubes finally bought the farm the other day. Being the energy efficient moron that I am, I thought "hey, how about I replace all these aging tubes with LED tube replacements?".

So, I traipse down to Lowes, find the correct size/wattage (T8 17W 24"). The side of the box clearly says "compatible with most electronic ballasts". Figuring I was good to go, I got four of them at the not so nice price of nearly $16 a piece. However, I figured they would last a lot longer, so no harm, no foul.

I get home and start installing the new tubes. So far, so good. They are brighter than the older tubes, but I figured that was probably just because the tubes were old. Then, as I'm putting the covers on, the first one goes out. While I'm investigating that one, another goes out. It was about then that the smell of smoke hit my nose and I kill the rest of them with the switch.

Turns out, the cheap, Chinese ballasts in these fixtures couldn't handle the LED replacements for some reason, so both the tubes and the ballasts were burned out. Seriously burned out - there was smoke in the housing. Thankfully, Lowes reimbursed me for the tubes, because I had to replace all four fixtures.

The new fixtures are LED lighting strips (also not cheap - these things were $45 for the 24", and $40 for the 18"!) I'm about half done installing the new ones. :squint:

So, be warned. The manufacturers of those LED tube replacements aren't kidding when they say MOST ballasts, not all.
dv
Cool, new lights! Enjoy!

As as aside, not all LED bulbs are created equal either. I adapted the track lighting in the kitchen to LED using a bunch of those cheap (~$13) GU10 enclosures and some LED equivalent bulbs.

I ran through my original buy of 12 store-brand bulbs in a little over a year. Got the "good" replacements from Philips and they've been running fine at least that long now.

One of the LED strip lights in a fish tank got a leak, fried itself, and now I gotta find something to replace it... :(
Yeah, that's why I sprang for these strip lights. They are highly rated, expensive, and they look almost just like the old fluorescent units. They are a bear to install, though that is mostly because they are hard-wired.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Speaking of bulbs, I had to change the headlight bulb of our 2014 Outback.

In order to access it one has to go through the wheel well. Some suggest removing the wheel for easier access. Still you pretty much have to do most of the work without being able to see where your hand/ bulb and fixture are.

Very stupid.
Séamas posted:
Speaking of bulbs, I had to change the headlight bulb of our 2014 Outback.

In order to access it one has to go through the wheel well. Some suggest removing the wheel for easier access. Still you pretty much have to do most of the work without being able to see where your hand/ bulb and fixture are.

Very stupid.

Our Buick is the same way. I find I can generally get the work done by just turning the wheel out, but it's a massive PITA.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
I was able to do it that way, getting a decent grip on the cap/cover almost had me give up. Can't get a tool in there for leverage.
I think the driver's side is even worse.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I changed the bulbs on my Santa Fe last month, luckily I just had to remove three bolts per headlight assembly and it pops right off. I put in LED bulbs.
I'm glad you avoided a house fire.
When I replaced all the incandescents in our new place with LEDs, I also changed all the dimmer switches. The old dimmers just weren't going to work.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
On my Mazda the nose assembly needs to be removed to get to the HID low beams.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

LED replacement's for T8 tubes...