If you still had internet, where would you live?

Page: 1, 2
Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], ukimalefu
I mean with shopping moving online, work moving online, even socializing moving online... pretty much all you need nowadays is high speed internet and a mailing address. Tesla's Starlink project can possibly bring decent internet to everywhere in the world. How many of you could theoretically do you job on, say, a small scottish island, as long as you had high speed internet and could make the trip to the market once in a while?

Me? I think I miss the trees of the Boreal Forest.

Last edited by Betonhaus on Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:26 pm.

mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I’d love to live in a mountain paradise. Maybe a small, close knit community and a stable job. I could probably drive a train or something there. Anyone know a place?

fiddlesticks I’m lucky
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
Unless latency becomes 0ms for everyone, everywhere, my job will never be able to be done online.

Now, if I had a different job that could be done online I'd want to be in Switzerland.
macnuke Afar
When I go, I prefer no internet, no cell signal. That’s vacation.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Fiji of course.
ukimalefu Canadized
I like forests. And mountains. Forests on mountains.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Better to live in more densely populated areas for environmental reasons.

For me it's less about internet access than it is about money. For example, I'd love to live in London or in the Rockies or any number of other places if I were rich. It would suck to live in such a place and get by trying to earn a middle-class wage.

Like mmav, I have it pretty darn good. I'm minutes from shopping and work, and yet people travel from around the world to camp in what is literally (my neighbor's) backyard. My state has a functional government, good healthcare, offers excellent education, and sustains a decent economy.

There are many stunning places that I would love to live if I were rich. But for being an average person, I'm not sure I could find much better than what I've already got.
juice Inadvertently correct
I'd like anisland lair. Preferably with a empty volcano.
TOS
somewhere with a swimmable ocean would be my ideal

like my old neighbourhood in vancouver if it wasn't so dysfunctional and crazy expensive
mmaverick posted:
I’d love to live in a mountain paradise. Maybe a small, close knit community and a stable job. I could probably drive a train or something there. Anyone know a place?

fiddlesticks I’m lucky

Describing Revelstoke as a mountain paradise is a clear sign of Stockholm Syndrome. :lol:
Old Yoda agitator
Kirk posted:
I'm there for me.

Me too!
In a secret undisclosed inhoding bunker in the Ouachita National Forest.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
If I had the money I would live in Santa Barbara Ca.
Pariah posted:

I talked to a band from Santa Barbara and they told me it's not at all expensive like the rest of the state...basically because no Silicon Valley, no Hollywood, and muchos Mexicanos have kept white yuppiedom ownership privilege from turning it into an overpriced hellscape. If I was to return to CA, that would be my destination.
TOS
Warin posted:
mmaverick posted:

fiddlesticks I’m lucky

Describing Revelstoke as a mountain paradise is a clear sign of Stockholm Syndrome. :lol:

:: giggles ::
TOS posted:
Warin posted:
mmaverick posted:

fiddlesticks I’m lucky

:: giggles ::

You’re not stuck if you don’t want to leave!
https://www.starlink.com/

I'm secretly excited for Starlink. Even if I don't get it, it would suppress Xplornet's more parasitic policies and bring reliable internet to my parents.

Plus I could fiddlesticks off to the Yukon or something. When global warming hits that will be prime real estate.
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
I don't know. How about Colombia?
obvs posted:
I don't know. How about Colombia?

I heard they are well known for their herbal extracts.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Metacell posted:
Pariah posted:

I talked to a band from Santa Barbara and they told me it's not at all expensive like the rest of the state...basically because no Silicon Valley, no Hollywood, and muchos Mexicanos have kept white yuppiedom ownership privilege from turning it into an overpriced hellscape. If I was to return to CA, that would be my destination.

The average home price in SB is one million dollars. more than 4 times the national average.

so, not cheap.
Pariah posted:
Metacell posted:
Pariah posted:

The average home price in SB is one million dollars. more than 4 times the national average.

so, not cheap.

I think its a case that there are very wealthy sections...those kind of houses are often Spanish seaside mansions. But there is also regular working class neighborhoods, with access to the same shores. Could be these guys were steering me wrong though.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Metacell posted:
Pariah posted:
Metacell posted:
Pariah posted:

so, not cheap.

I think its a case that there are very wealthy sections...those kind of houses are often Spanish seaside mansions. But there is also regular working class neighborhoods, with access to the same shores. Could be these guys were steering me wrong though.

It is possible for SB to be both not as expensive as certain Tech hotspots and still super expensive compared to most of the country.
Par - If you think you like Santa Barbara, look a bit further north at Morro Bay. All the good nature / culture stuff of SB is even better here.
TOS
that stretch of the coast is gaw-jus, from avila beach all the way to monterey
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Kirk posted:
Par - If you think you like Santa Barbara, look a bit further north at Morro Bay. All the good nature / culture stuff of SB is even better here.

Too much fog in MB. :brow:
ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu posted:
I like forests. And mountains. Forests on mountains.

replying to myself to add this link

https://www.core77.com/posts/44568/Tiny ... rame-Cabin

something like that
juice Inadvertently correct
A roofline like that suggests prodigious snow. I'm out on that idea.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
I love my A-frame.
Malkin posted:
I love my A-frame.

And your prodigious snow? :p
I have a "villa" in St Maarten that I rent out. I intended to live there but family stuff and then a war and then more family stuff intervened and I have given up on that idea. Probably an unrealistic notion to begin with.

I like where I am, which is a nondescript city prone to extreme cold and stifling humidity (it's built on a swamp) in a boring country. But if I could I would like a remote spot in the maritimes overlooking the ocean. My brother has such a place. I could sit and watch icebergs float by.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
If I couldn't live in SB a second choice would be having a place tucked away in the hills around Spring Green Wisconsin. Lots of artists, right by the Wisconsin river and Lake Wisconsin. The highest concentration of Frank Lloyd Wright designed buildings in the world and, of course, Taliesin East, one of Wright's two schools.
An easy drive to Madison and close enough to Chicago for days trips.
jkahless Custom Title
Somewhere tucked away in the Inside Passage of Vancouver Island would be great. The world's greatest temperature rainforest and an unrivaled cold water ecosystem. What a dream!
I'd hate the humidity. I'd like to move back to Athabasca as it's a lovely town buried in the forest, but it's a little bit of a human waste hole.
And mosquitos, Pariah. Squadrons of mosquitos ;)
jkahless posted:
Somewhere tucked away in the Inside Passage of Vancouver Island would be great. The world's greatest temperature rainforest and an unrivaled cold water ecosystem. What a dream!

Denman Island is really, really nice.
I lived only a few miles from Denman Island. Used to sail to it on weekends when I was a child. My dad was posted to CFB Comox when it was a NORAD fighter base and it had a sailing club for the families.
jkahless Custom Title
Ribtor posted:
I lived only a few miles from Denman Island. Used to sail to it on weekends when I was a child. My dad was posted to CFB Comox when it was a NORAD fighter base and it had a sailing club for the families.

Haven’t made it to Comox area, but a good friend of mine is from Cumberland. I guess you were too young to learn Cumberland bar pool rules. Gotta sink the 8 on a bank shot. Weird rule.

I’ve spent a lot of time in the southern gulf islands, sailing in converted navy lifeboats.
I've played that bank shot rule before in the Midwest and California. Its generally people that are better players and want to stretch out a game.
jkahless Custom Title
Makes the most sense if games cost, but the ball return isn’t locked.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

If you still had internet, where would you live?

Page: 1, 2