Attention coffee addicts

Online now: Google [Bot], Jonesy, kamizuno
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... ve-to-quit

Quote:
After wrapping up his book about the potential therapeutic benefits of psychedelic drugs, author Michael Pollan turned his attention to a drug that's hidden "in plain sight" in many people's lives: caffeine.

"Here's a drug we use every day. ... We never think about it as a drug or an addiction, but that's exactly what it is," Pollan says. "I thought, 'Why not explore that relationship?'"

Pollan's new audiobook, Caffeine, explores the science of caffeine addiction and withdrawal — and the broader impact that coffee and tea have had on the modern world. Caffeine, he says, is a powerful drug that alters the brain in surprising ways.

"There are studies that show that people's both mental performance and athletic performance are improved by coffee," he says. "If you have a cup of coffee after you've learned something or read a textbook chapter, you are more likely to test better on it the next day."

It was only when he quit caffeine cold turkey that Pollan fully appreciated the mental and psychological boost his morning cup of coffee had provided: "I just couldn't focus," he says. "I lost confidence. The whole book seemed like a really stupid idea. And loss of confidence is actually listed as one of the symptoms of caffeine withdrawal."

Now, having read that, I think I'm going to go slurp another hit of the good sh!t. :stoned:
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Quote:
"Here's a drug we use every day. ... We never think about it as a drug or an addiction, but

Who the fiddlesticks is "we"???

Isn't it common knowledge that caffeine is a drug?
Séamas posted:
Quote:
"Here's a drug we use every day. ... We never think about it as a drug or an addiction, but

Except to the target audience of the article, I suppose.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Séamas posted:
Quote:

This author is covering a topic that has been done to death for 40 years. Everyone knows caffeine is a drug and everyone knows about lack of coffee headaches.
Honestly I have to question the authors socialization if all this really was new to them.*

Look at me using gender-less terms! :)
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
People get addicted to gambling. People get addicted to shopping. People get addicted to collecting things. People get addicted to exercise.

The point is that people get addicted to all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons. Coffee isn't evil. Caffeine isn't evil. Addiction is.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
^
Drug dealer.

:shifty:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I am 100% fine with my coffee addiction.
TOS
Pithecanthropus posted:
People get addicted to gambling. People get addicted to shopping. People get addicted to collecting things. People get addicted to exercise.

The point is that people get addicted to all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons. Coffee isn't evil. Caffeine isn't evil. Addiction is.

you draw the line at playgrounds, though, right?
TOS posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Looks like he also had... chocolate... which contains... lots of sugar!

He's not only a hopeless junkie, he's a monster. The spoon is probably for the heroin later.
Vulture 420
I eat chocolate almost every day, 90% Lindt which contains almost no sugar. I drink a decent amount of coffee every day because I don't have jittery sensitivity to caffeine, but I have friends and family who cannot handle coffee at all because they get the shakes as their baseline is already at some kind of nervous anxiety level.

I'm glad Pollan wrote the book about psychedelics because it means all the New England intellectual types will all be for shrooms and LSD and push for finally accepting it as beneficial instead of shunning it, he opened that door when he wrote The Omnivore's Dilemma which could be found on the coffee table of every morally conscious adult with a university alumni magazine subscription.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
TOS posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

Did I mention a kindergarten teacher in our district was dealing coke?
dv
C. Ives posted:
TOS posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

Hey, as long as she wasn't selling to kids, it's nothing to get into a tizzy over.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Gotta' pay the rent somehow.
dv
Those parents need a pick-me-up once in a while too.
TOS
that staffroom was wiiiiiiild
Pariah Know Your Enemy
When I was in highschool our Class President was the biggest coke dealer on campus.
Vulture 420
Is caffeine the legal version of cocaine?
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
C. Ives posted:
TOS posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

You wouldn't think they'd be too successful.
It wouldn't surprise me if parents and teachers of grade-school children are the largest demographic of cocaine users.
dv
Metacell posted:
It wouldn't surprise me if parents and teachers of grade-school children are the largest demographic of cocaine users.

I assume a sizable minority of people I know are functional addicts. You work 60 hours a week, spend the weekends at the cabin or on the lake, and have two kids? You don't sleep.

The other explanation is that they're zombies who have completely abrogated their parenting responsibilities, but I'd honestly rather think they're on meth.
ukimalefu posted:

Wow! Hitler used caffeine and glucose during his final days? SIGN ME UP!@!!
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
So, sugar in your coffee?
Pithecanthropus posted:

Addiction is not evil. It’s a natural biological and psychological effect that COULD become problematic, but not necessarily.
StaticAge posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

Addiction is not evil. It’s a natural biological and psychological effect that COULD become problematic, but not necessarily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=XcATvu5f9vE
I guess this thread is appropriate for this

Americano is 2/3 water? two thirds!? wtf?

And where is "black"? the most water I'd add to black coffee is 1/4, usually less than that. Two thirds of water is not coffee, it's stained water.
ukimalefu posted:

And where is "black"? the most water I'd add to black coffee is 1/4, usually less than that. Two thirds of water is not coffee, it's stained water.

You were never a barista, were you?
Pithecanthropus posted:
ukimalefu posted:

You were never a barista, were you?

no, this country doesn't have any of those, some places do have fancy espresso machines, but nobody orders an espresso. The most high end places may have cappuccinos, but that's it.

we produce coffee, make coffee, drink coffee

when out of your house, you order black, brown ( a little milk) con leche (with milk, about 50/50) and there's something called guayoyo (that's with water, but it's half water at most, I'd say, and not that word cannot be translated)
dv
ukimalefu posted:
when out of your house, you order black, brown ( a little milk) con leche (with milk, about 50/50) and there's something called guayoyo (that's with water, but it's half water at most, I'd say, and not that word cannot be translated)

I thought you were kidding but I can't find a translation of the word 'guayoyo.'

For the rest of us, it's basically pourover. With fresh beans that'd be some good human waste.

https://steemit.com/coffee/@daniellozad ... oyo-coffee
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I usually order Americano. It's for people who want a good cup of coffee, and don't want the stuff that's sitting in the drip carafe.
macnuke Afar
"Shot in the Dark"

cup of Dark Roast with at least one shot expresso.
my regular is a Double Shot in the Dark.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Around my parts we call that a red eye (for one shot) or a black eye (for two).
Can someone explain to me the difference between espresso and really strong coffee?
jkahless Custom Title
Espresso is extracted with the addition of about 9 bars of pressure as well as temperature and water. Moka pots don’t give enough pressure, so they don’t make true espresso.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Attention coffee addicts